How did I do... Current Sundal T5HO 36"
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 03-05-2012, 03:35 PM   #1
y84k
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

How did I do... Current Sundal T5HO 36"

So after a 3 or so year absence and now getting settled into a better job aquariums are back on my mind... so here I am going for planted tank attempt #2 and this time I'm doing it right. I got a new aquarium off craigslist for a fairly good deal (p.s I'll have a stock strip-light, emperor filter for sale if anyone wants them):

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1330960242.426570.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	43501

I've always wanted a bow front so I couldn't resist. Anyways I'll save the rest of this for a tank journal and get to the point of the light.

So I was up in the Minneapolis area yesterday and happened to stop into a well known LFS in that area... A World Of Fish. Planning on buying some substrate and ended up with the light for my new tank as well.

The deal seemed pretty good so I went for it and after reading about Odysea I decided to spend the extra $ and not have a house fire, even if their new lights appear to be better I don't mind spending a little extra for that sense of security... So they had this NIB Current Sundial 4x39 t5HO... Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1330961055.662478.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	43502 price tag was $400... he said it was 50% off that price so I thought about... couldn't find it anywhere close to that on the internet on a quick google search. Next thing you know its on the counter of the LFS (funny how that works).

So do you guys think this was a good deal? After a little more research I'm finding this might be way too much light...? (when I was last into this power compact is what everyone had) but the whole thing has two separate banks of lights with two separate timers and power switches all built in (nice IMO) so if needed just two lights can be run.

And yes I will be running pressurized co2 (thats about all I have left to buy and just looking for the best set-up right now... kind of want to get this purchased soon as well so I can get this thing going and have my dream of a planted forest

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Attached Images

y84k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2012, 04:25 PM   #2
IWANNAGOFAST
I see LEDs

PTrader: (33/100%)

so did you pay 200 or 400?
IWANNAGOFAST is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 04:48 PM   #3
y84k
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwannagofast View Post
so did you pay 200 or 400?
$200
Old 03-05-2012, 04:53 PM   #4
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)

You got a good deal, as far as price goes, but you now have way more light than you can use on that tank, unless you hang the light high above the tank. Four bulb T5HO lights are just too much light for planted tanks when they sit on top of the tank. My guess is that the light will give you around 150 micromols of PAR if it sits on top of the tank. Algae Farm!!! Hang it a foot above the tank and it might work fine, but with lots of spilled light.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:08 PM   #5
Amazon
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

sorry, not to hijack, but I have the same fixture over a 65. I do get algae on the plant leaves at times. Is your recommendation (Hoppy) to raise the fixture to solve this? Or is this OK over a 65?

And $200 for that set up is really good!
SW: 180g w/150g sump
3 x 250w MH
Amazon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 05:32 PM   #6
y84k
Algae Grower

O.K., Yeah I read your great sticky Hoppy. So it looks like I will just be running one bank of lights then... Thank god it has two separate banks and dual timers I could return it but I think I'll end up paying close to that for a two bulb set up anyways... and down the road who knows maybe I'll need it on a larger tank... (I know how this hobby goes)

So the two 36" T5HO bulbs will be perfect then?

Also I got 6700K bulbs to replace the atinic ones it came with... So should I use a combo of 10K/6700K or all 6700K?

Old 03-05-2012, 05:34 PM   #7
y84k
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazon View Post
sorry, not to hijack, but I have the same fixture over a 65. I do get algae on the plant leaves at times. Is your recommendation (Hoppy) to raise the fixture to solve this? Or is this OK over a 65?

And $200 for that set up is really good!
I almost bought a new 65... sounds like these t5HO are pretty powerful little lights huh? See what I miss after being out of the hobby for a few years The last time I was getting into planted tanks everyone was using power compacts...

Old 03-05-2012, 05:55 PM   #8
Amazon
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

sticky..sticky...gotta go read the sticky...lol

yah, had CF's before this fixture. Just was counting WPG. derp...
SW: 180g w/150g sump
3 x 250w MH
Amazon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2012, 04:44 AM   #9
joelm08
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

i have the same dilemma... i have wavepoint 36" 4-39 watt T5HO light fixture. but mine does not have a separate light switch so when i turn it on or off, all of the bulbs goes on or off...now im wondering if i can run that fixture with only 2 bulbs..anybody know? if not ill have to experiment tomorrow.. I paid 80 bucks on it so i thought it was the greatest deal! but now i dont know if it was the greatest idea to buy that fixture..
joelm08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2012, 05:40 AM   #10
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)

If you modify that 4 bulb fixture a bit, so one switch controls the two outer bulbs, and the other switch controls the two inner bulbs, you might get away with having 2 bulbs on and the light sitting on top of the tank. Or, if the reflectors in the fixture are not the best quality - you can't see two images of each bulb, one on each side of each bulb - using the two outer bulbs might work ok. Otherwise, you will do better by suspending the light about 6-8 inches above the top of the tank, and using only two bulbs.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:53 AM   #11
joelm08
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
If you modify that 4 bulb fixture a bit, so one switch controls the two outer bulbs, and the other switch controls the two inner bulbs, you might get away with having 2 bulbs on and the light sitting on top of the tank. Or, if the reflectors in the fixture are not the best quality - you can't see two images of each bulb, one on each side of each bulb - using the two outer bulbs might work ok. Otherwise, you will do better by suspending the light about 6-8 inches above the top of the tank, and using only two bulbs.
that sounds like a great idea but im just scared to break the fixture..im not good with electrical stuff at all so im not sure on how to do that..
joelm08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2012, 06:06 AM   #12
prototyp3
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)

Those Sundial fixtures are great lights. I had a pair that served me well for years. Never had to run more than 2 bulbs, the reflectors did a good job of maximizing the light. And the fixture stayed cool without having to use the fans.
For $200 that's a great deal.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.