Moss - strangleholds on tanks
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 03-01-2012, 11:40 AM   #1
chris.russell

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question

Moss - strangleholds on tanks

Hello everyone,

I have only recently gotten into the planted aquariums and am looking for some advice. Last year I purchased some Christmas Tree Moss hoping to have it create an nice effect on a rock I had placed in the tank. Now, I realize that Christmas Tree isn't the best option for this but it leads into my question rather well. You see, within a few weeks the moss was growing all over the tank. But it was stringy and not really attaching to anything. It was clogging up my filter, and making things difficult. Is there a way to prevent moss from getting that far out of hand?

Also, I am starting a new tank with some soil as a substrate. I am looking for recommendations for good plants that would be "easy on the eyes."

Thanks
chris.russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2012, 12:00 PM   #2
Jeffww
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Maintenance. You need to trim it. Don't expect to just plant and forget for any plant.
Jeffww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:29 PM   #3
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

you need to tie down moss to have it attach on to rocks and wood. Trimming and reattaching the longer trimmed pieces is what i do.
acitydweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:45 PM   #4
HiepSTA
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)

it sounds like you did not tie down the moss tight enough, when i tie down moss, i never get any loose peices in the tank, the rock or wood i tie it to is the only place i will find moss in my tank
Old 03-02-2012, 07:53 PM   #5
ngrubich
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)

Keep up with trimmings, like noted above. Instead of tying the moss down, you could also cover it with a mesh-like material. That way when it grows through, you can lift it up and trim easier.
But as far as plants that you want to add go, it all depends on what you want. Are you wanting all green? maybe some red here and there? long leaves, rounded leaves? You can always start out with some Ludwigia, since that's pretty common and fairly easy to keep up with. Maybe some Anubias or java fern
ngrubich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:58 AM   #6
gowfan05
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)

not to jack your thread, but what is the general rule for trimming moss? I've had moss in one of my tanks attached to my dw, but never trimmed it in about 6 months.
gowfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:48 PM   #7
vincenz
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (55/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowfan05 View Post
not to jack your thread, but what is the general rule for trimming moss? I've had moss in one of my tanks attached to my dw, but never trimmed it in about 6 months.
There's really no rule. If it starts looking unruly, then break out the scissors.

The Spawning Pool-- 75g shallow square DECOMMISSIONED

Three Worlds-- 4g triple sphere DECOMMISSIONED
vincenz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
christmas tree, moss, new tank, soil, substrate