filamentous algae out of control
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Ponds

Old 03-01-2012, 01:29 AM   #1
SemperFish
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

filamentous algae out of control

I am needing some suggestions on how to get rid of it or control filamentous algae. Whether it be algae eaters or other methods.

I have a 125 +/- gallon garden pond with a small waterfall (soon to be expanded). it's been set up for about a year. I have two shubunkins, numerous ramshorn snails, and trapdoor snails.

For plants I have water lettuce, water hyacinth, umbrella plant, arrowhead plant, variegated spike rush, star grass, and a ton of anacharis.

Some of the plants I got came with algae, so I think that's how it got started. The pond is on the north end of my house and during winter months it doesn't get any direct sunlight.

Any suggestions would be helpful.
SemperFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2012, 01:24 PM   #2
menoseloso
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Keep your pond under part shade and it will go away with in 2-3 days competely

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express
menoseloso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:49 PM   #3
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

I was going to suggest cutting the light by shading with plants, but it sounds like you are already doing that.
Remove by hand? Some sort of brush that you can twirl the stuff up like spaghetti.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:24 PM   #4
SemperFish
Algae Grower

It's a weekly job cleaning it out, what surprises me is that it wasn't so bad over the summer. I guess because the plants was growing. It's going to get drained in a few weeks because I plan to expand it.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:14 AM   #5
anastasisariel
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Default Probably normal

This time of year its actually normal. It wasn't bad for me during the summer either. I've been cleaning mine out constantly as well, but the plants I planted last year are beggining to take over so I'm pretty sure that soon it won't be an issue.

Just keep removing it the best you can and make sure that just like an aquarium you are removing as much dead matter as you can.

If you already cleaned the pond, the filter, and perhaps a partial water change then you should be good to go. You would have gotten algea without adding those plants I'm sure.

Jarod
My Pond went "Native"
I'm in the Saint Louis, MO area and always looking to connect with other planted tank enthusiasts.

75 Gallon journal http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=480226
anastasisariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:45 PM   #6
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
You would have gotten algea without adding those plants I'm sure
Absolutely! Algae spores are drifting around in the air, on all sorts of surfaces... Any bit of water that has even a little bit of sun will grow algae. Even way out in the desert, no algae for miles, a little pool happens, and algae finds it.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:49 AM   #7
bgallodoro24
Planted Tank Obsessed

Like everyone else said just remove by hand and do plenty water changes.
Fluval Pimp #37
bgallodoro24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:12 AM   #8
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (255/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFish View Post
It's a weekly job cleaning it out, what surprises me is that it wasn't so bad over the summer. I guess because the plants was growing. It's going to get drained in a few weeks because I plan to expand it.
April end of/May is the algae season for ponds, if you can pack the pond at the beginning of April/Late March with about 50% floating weeds like hyacinth etc.........and make sure they have ample nutrients etc.........no freezing temps........you should be spared well, mid summer there is a lull in algae and then a fall bloom often.

Try and stick with 50% coverage for plants(floating).
Pitch fork the green compost to keep it between say 40-70% coverage.
Plants compete most with algae for one thing: light, this is the way to deal with it.

Shade cloth does not filter the same light that a plant leaf does and algae knows the difference. Both reduce intensity, but the leaf filters the best part of the light. the algae knows there's something else blocking the light and will often sporulate and die off and simply wait till the spring for that window of time where there is a lot of light and before the plants cover the pond.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:59 AM   #9
SemperFish
Algae Grower

Thanks for the info Plantbrain. Since the first post I dug up my pond and made it bigger with a larger waterfall (cause a pond is never big enough!). I had a nice green water bloom, but with addition of plenty of anacharis, water lettuce, and water hyacinth it subsided.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:35 AM   #10
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (255/100%)

Just remember the seasonal stuff, you need to make sure there's ample plant biomass in end of March start of April and no more hard frost/freezing temps.
Some plants are fine and you can also cover the pond at night with a tarp and add a stick heater.

Then let it fill to about 50-% and stay right around there.

The waterfall and more O2 is better.