Using rainwater
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 02-29-2012, 03:23 PM   #1
Jacob928
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)

Using rainwater

I heard that some people use rainwater for their shrimp tanks instead of RO water. Is this method safe? Wouldn't there be contaminents/potential of parasites from the roof leaching into the water?
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2012, 07:04 PM   #2
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

YES,to contaminens.. its prefferable to catch rainwater after 15-20 minutes of hard rain. and prefferably from runoff of something less porous as a roof which can holds tons of toxins
Old 02-29-2012, 11:34 PM   #3
willknowitall
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

imagine all the algae spores, bacteria and other toxins in that water yikes
willknowitall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:41 AM   #4
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by willknowitall View Post
imagine all the algae spores, bacteria and other toxins in that water yikes

Algae spores...ehhh that doesnt scare me. They are present everywhere anyways its the toxins id be concerned about. Most likely the bacteria is not aquatic ready.. there will be some that is but not a vast amount. Healthy fish should have no problem handling that. Wild ones do daily.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:45 PM   #5
EnigmaticGuppy92
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

thumbs up to the above comment iv never done this but can see why it would work what about the ph difference in the rainwater if there is one
Normal Leopard Gecko ''Shadow''
Super hypo tangerine baldy carrot tail leopard gecko ''Moon''
2 whites tree frogs ''Ying and Yang''
1 Royal Python ''Neptune''
1 Veiled Chameleon '' Yoshi''
EnigmaticGuppy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:00 PM   #6
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

Only if you are in the direct path of some source of toxin. Such as down wind from a factory that emits toxins.

I use rain water for many of my tanks.
1) Do not use the first storm of the season, let that wash off the roof.
2) If it has been a while between storms allow the roof to be rinsed before collecting.
3) Rinse out the collecting bucket occasionally.

I have not had problems with algae, bacteria or minerals in the water from the roof, the collecting can or other sources. Most recently there has been a lot of pollen in the water, and a simple sponge over the intake to the pump is enough to keep that out.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:33 PM   #7
exv152
Wannabe Guru

Rainwater is not recommendable for a couple of reasons. I've looked into this for my discus, but eventually went off the idea. If you want soft water you're better off getting an RO unit.

The problem with rainwater, in my opinon, is multifaceted. Often rainwater comes from a gutter system (meaning your eavestrough) and there are various sources of contaminents on your roof. Birds often defecate on rooftops and this can lead to some serious pathogens getting into your aquarium water. There are other pollutants in the water as well. Soil, plant matter, pesticides, insecticides, insects, bacteria, algae spores, and sometimes radioactive materials washed out of the atmosphere. You'd have to run it through a complex filtering process, then boil it, for it to be safe. If it's not safe for you to drink, I wouldn't give it to my fish.
exv152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:59 PM   #8
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
Only if you are in the direct path of some source of toxin. Such as down wind from a factory that emits toxins.

I use rain water for many of my tanks.
1) Do not use the first storm of the season, let that wash off the roof.
2) If it has been a while between storms allow the roof to be rinsed before collecting.
3) Rinse out the collecting bucket occasionally.

I have not had problems with algae, bacteria or minerals in the water from the roof, the collecting can or other sources. Most recently there has been a lot of pollen in the water, and a simple sponge over the intake to the pump is enough to keep that out.
WELL if u live in the wonderfull city of chattanooga that used to be a huge steel industry.. toxins are present everywhere in our water and without hard rains buildup on most surfaces.. its been getting better for a long time but mercury, iron and copper levels are very high, and rainwater is acidic. bout 6.2 on the ph scale.. almost non of that is c02 related. in comparison. filtered treated water comes out at 7.6
Old 03-02-2012, 01:26 PM   #9
pweifan
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (58/100%)

I collect rainwater whenever I can. It's sounds like my approach is different than what you guys are describing. I put out several clean buckets on my deck. They only catch the failing rain, nothing from a downspout. After the rain is over I pour the contents into 1 or 2 buckets and use that for my water change. I've been doing it for at least 4 years and have never had a noticeable problem.
pweifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:33 PM   #10
samamorgan
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via MSN to samamorgan Send a message via Skype™ to samamorgan

I've been considering this myself, I live in western Washington and it seems silly not to use our most abundant state resource. That is frequent showers if you haven't heard. Is there any treatment process needed for adding collected rainwater to an aquarium that hasnt gone through any gutter or roof system?
Originally Posted by Ludwig van Beethoven
Don't only practice your art, but force your way into it's secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine.
samamorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:48 PM   #11
GraphicGr8s
Pixel Prestidigitator

PTrader: (10/100%)

One thing to remember is that there are zinc pellets in the roofing to help control mildew on the roof. Probably not a problem on a metal roof though.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
GraphicGr8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:01 PM   #12
MChambers
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Thoughtful article on the pros and cons of using rainwater here.

http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/water-softening
MChambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:56 AM   #13
fresh~water

I have been collecting rainwater off of my aluminum porch roof with 18 gallon rubbermaid totes. I live in the Pacific Northwest and it rains 9 months a year and I always have a supply of fresh clean water. The water regularly tests at 4 PPM with a TDS meter. The roof is clean. The water is basically pure and free from any contaminants. In the wild fish love it when it rains. I have been doing this for 6 months now and have seen good results. If you live downwind of a bunch of power plants I might not use rain. Otherwise I say go for it.
fresh~water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:15 AM   #14
lochaber
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I wouldn't worry about straight rainwater (as it falls out of the sky) unless you live in an area that is heavily polluted or suffers from acid rain, etc.

Roofing, gutter, and downspout materials are all a potential source of contamination, as is bird waste, leaves, dust, and general detritus/debris that will collect on the roof/gutters.

I'd suggest looking into sites/literature that is focused on collecting rainwater for household use - most of the same concerns we have, and there are a lot more people interested in doing that then collecting it for aquariums.

I think some of them have systems where there is an automatic diversion for the first X inches or so, and then the rainwater is routed to a cistern (or, in your case, likely a bucket/drum).
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:24 AM   #15
DavidN

So from the comments above: everyone who has experience says 'yes'; everyone who just thinks about it says 'no'.
DavidN is offline   Reply With Quote