75 gal low-tech gravel-capped dirt tank... it's gonna be awesome!! - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 03-10-2012, 12:16 AM   #16
evan.m
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Where'd you get the gravel from?

Old 03-10-2012, 06:16 PM   #17
ilovelucy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

I purchased it in a 100-lb bag from an LFS in Minneapolis. It's made by a company out of Eau Claire, WI. It's a smaller grade than most standard gravel and I really like it. I was so excited about my gravel find, but not many people shared my enthusiasm. My girlfriend and family members were all like... "yay, rocks." LOL
Old 03-10-2012, 06:21 PM   #18
ilovelucy
Algae Grower

I lowered the light on my tank another 4-5 inches or so. I'm hoping my plants start doing a little better. The heavy root feeders are doing quite well, but some of the more delicate plants are melting spots. I was wondering if now would be an appropriate time to add some fish. Considering the ammonia level, I didn't know if I should but I need fish to produce the waste to feed the plants. I was also thinking about buying a UV sterilizer.... Any advice on these matters would be great!
Old 03-10-2012, 10:03 PM   #19
evan.m
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

I used closet hanger brackets for my light, similar idea though. I'm considering having my wife make some kinda fancy curtain system to fill the void and hide the lights
Old 03-11-2012, 05:53 AM   #20
ilovelucy
Algae Grower

Does anyone have thoughts on fish additions and/or what size of a UV sterilizer would be appropriate for my 75gal tank??

On another note, my sister just birthed twins at her home. Happy B-Day Josie and Ozzie!!!
Old 03-11-2012, 05:04 PM   #21
oscarsx
Discus freak

PTrader: (14/94%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovelucy View Post
Does anyone have thoughts on fish additions and/or what size of a UV sterilizer would be appropriate for my 75gal tank??

On another note, my sister just birthed twins at her home. Happy B-Day Josie and Ozzie!!!
I had a 24watt Green Killing Machine UV and it worked great... my water was clear in 2 days..

oscarsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:02 PM   #22
EnigmaticGuppy92
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovelucy View Post

are you looking for a low number of large fish or high number of small fish
Normal Leopard Gecko
Super hypo tangerine baldy carrot tail leopard gecko
Exoterra planted terrarium 2 whites tree frogs
EnigmaticGuppy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:44 PM   #23
low_techy
Algae Grower

Default Which fish to choose?

Hmm, how exciting choosing which fish to add from scratch, that must be fun. I'd say give it some thought and do some research. My approach has been a little hap-hazard with my tanks so far; a few of this type of tetra, a few of that, some corys, white cloud minows, inheriting a common pleco!! It's a nice sized tank so you could consider some reasonably sized fish possibly. Make sure the set up you have will provide them with what they'll need to be content/happy. As good community fish for a planted tank I've found oto catfish to be functionally beneficial (algae eaters) and appealing from an aesthetic and behavioural point of view. Perhaps 4 for a tank of your size would be a suitable starting point? For a natural look and being hardy fish I find white cloud minows are a great fish to have. I've seen some tanks on youtube with guppies, which look quite dramatic and also rainbow fish on fishtankTV are great too. Let us know what you get
low_techy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:44 PM   #24
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)

Ooh...love the light idea! I'm stealing it too, like so many others - lol. I'm afraid my cats would just see the shelf as another reason to jump up on a tank (to get to the shelf), so I think I'll use plant hanging brackets - the cast iron kind. Maybe the kind that swing, so I can swing the light out of the way when I need to...hmm, you really got the old brain going! lol
Can't wait to see the driftwood in there, you picked out a phenomenal piece!
The Fraternity of Dirt # 7 - Daughter of the Dirt - Canon Club #018
Twin 29g Dirt Tanks on an Iron Stand - DIY 3D Backgrounds
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...stand-pic.html
The Behemoth - 125 dirt tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=199772
driftwoodhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:20 AM   #25
ilovelucy
Algae Grower

I was planning on a moderate amount of small fish... nice schooling fish.. nothing really too fancy.

A fair amount of my plants are melting significantly!! Maybe I'll pick some fish up tomorrow and they will help?? I was never planning on adding any ferts or anything like that.... I was hoping to go the NPT route with low filtration, lots of plants, some fish and shrimp. Any advice on the melting plant issue would be great.... it's like my money is just mellllllllllllllllllllltiiiiiiiiiiiiing away
Old 03-13-2012, 09:25 PM   #26
EnigmaticGuppy92
Planted Tank Enthusiast

it can be duie to the stress of a change in water quality they will hopefully pick up
Normal Leopard Gecko
Super hypo tangerine baldy carrot tail leopard gecko
Exoterra planted terrarium 2 whites tree frogs
EnigmaticGuppy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:28 PM   #27
ilovelucy
Algae Grower

Ugh, I hope so! I'm feeling a little bit like a failure at this point. I just got done picking out the dead stuff.... now I just HOPE, I guess......
Old 03-14-2012, 11:34 AM   #28
ilovelucy
Algae Grower

I've got my wood soaking in a tub, 4 otos getting comfortable in my planty mess, and just bought a UV sterilizer online. So, it's moving along... I just wish the plants were a little healthier
Old 03-14-2012, 09:42 PM   #29
low_techy
Algae Grower

Default Melting plants?!

Oh no! Sorry to hear the plants are melting....is the tank cycled already? If you have set it up and placed the plants straight in there is it possible that there hasn't been enough time for the beneficial bacteria to establish and ammonia released from the soil substrate has leached into the water and elicited some of the 'melting' you've seen in your plants?

I think the sponge filter sounds like a great idea, it should be simple to clean and will be fish and more importantly shrimp friendly.

Let us know how the plants get on
low_techy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:33 AM   #30
ilovelucy
Algae Grower

I planted it heavily from the get-go. I started it that way based off of the Walstad method, which I don't know much other than the basics about. I was mostly attracted to that style because of the necessity of very few water changes.

I believe that I am seeing some growth now and the tank's fish seem to be doing well.