What causes cyanobacteria? - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 08-13-2012, 06:29 PM   #31
BruceF
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

I think one can claim that high light, co2 injection, ei dosing, high flow sumps and 50% water changes once a week prevent cyanobacteria. I am just not sure you can claim that therefore cyanobacteria is not effected by phosphate levels or any other variable you would like to isolate.
BruceF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2012, 07:56 PM   #32
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

I think it's more correct to ask, "What environment causes BGA to reproduce rapidly?"
mistergreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:06 PM   #33
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

for a simpler viewpoint

i'll point out that a test kit with 0 on phosphates can still support cyano bacteria growth because it can survive off of very low levels of po4

I've never had a tank or helped someone with a tank that had cyano as a result of proper biofiltration. THIS INCLUDED but is not limited to, decent flow, good oxygenation fo the water which is the most important, and a well established bacterial colony. Planted tank or not

low nitrates exacerbate the issue
low flow exacerbate the issue
cyano grows independent of kh and tds.. Ph hasn't seemed to matter either

these are just a kids opinions and viewpoints. but seen time and time again. and never seen in personal tanks that have above and beyond flow through the filtering system(10X turnover) which is comprised of 5% mechanical and 95% biological.

hope this helps

Last edited by HD Blazingwolf; 08-13-2012 at 09:45 PM.. Reason: first sentence was a little rough
HD Blazingwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:59 AM   #34
Snowflake311
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

I had this blue green algea so bad I almost gave up on the tank. I was ready to just sell the whole tank I was so mad at it.

I was so fed up with it I took everything out of the tank. I had sand substrate I removed it all added a plant substrate. Re planted the tank but there were still bits of BG algea left in the tank. I raised the light up 4" From the water surface.

Cleaning the filter was and is key to getting rid of this stuff. It thrives in a dirty tank that has low o2 with high light.

I now keep the filter clean and my water flow is nice and strong. Allowing for good flow around the tank. I also have more surface agitation and added more plants. Since doing this I have never seen a spot of BGA. Or any other algea yet I added rams horn snails to the tank and they keep it spot less.

How often do you clean your filter?
Old 08-14-2012, 08:51 PM   #35
kalawai2000
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

I had cyano growing all over my 12 gal tank..it took months to get rid of it. I was using the correct antibiotics for it. I was so sick and tired of fighting it that I tore the whole tank down and started over, I only had a few fish in the tank. I transferred them to the pond/barrel and did the change to the tank. After about one week the cyano died off and now this tank is doing great. I did add new plants and replaced the lighting to LEDs. I'm not sure which change made the cyano go away.