How many cherry or yellow shrimp in a partially occupied 5 gallon chi
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 02-28-2012, 06:01 AM   #1
Tribe1l
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

How many cherry or yellow shrimp in a partially occupied 5 gallon chi

I know they contribute little to the bioload, but my Chi already has an adult dwarf gourami and four adult cardinal tetras plus an apple snail. It currently has three ghost/glass shrimp but they are incredibly tough to see amongst the Java Fern and Amazon swords, so I probably want to replace my invisible pets with something a little more interesting. What are your thoughts?

And before the inevitable "omg that's too many fish" person comes along 1) I do a gallon water change weekly as I do a 20% on my two saltwater tanks as well (a Heavily modded 29 gallon Biocube with amazing DIY Cree LEDs and refugium that is my coral tank and another 5 gallon Chi that has dwarf seahorses). And 2) everything is fully adult, fat and Happy (my dwarf gourami is basically Jabba the hut as the little piggy only swims quickly when I try to spread the food around the tank and he tries to eat EVERYTHING before the perfectly healthy cardinals can get to it).
Tribe1l is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2012, 06:10 AM   #2
OverStocked
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)

However many you'd like to feed to your gourami and cardinals.
OverStocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:37 AM   #3
Geniusdudekiran
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)

lol +1
Old 02-28-2012, 11:39 AM   #4
Warlock
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

i have never tried.. but i read that the ghost shrimp are also very aggressive towards the other nano are are not good tankmates.. jus read it, never seen it..

+1 on the expensive snack
Warlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:44 PM   #5
skindy
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
i have never tried.. but i read that the ghost shrimp are also very aggressive towards the other nano are are not good tankmates.. jus read it, never seen it..

+1 on the expensive snack
This is especially true if one of your ghost shrimp happens to not actually be a ghost shrimp but a Macrobrachium sp. If your ghost shrimp don't pick on the cherries your gourami or tetras most likely will. You can kiss any shrimplettes goodbye and if the fish feel like they're underfed you can kiss the adults goodbye as well
skindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:10 AM   #6
Tribe1l
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skindy View Post
This is especially true if one of your ghost shrimp happens to not actually be a ghost shrimp but a Macrobrachium sp. If your ghost shrimp don't pick on the cherries your gourami or tetras most likely will. You can kiss any shrimplettes goodbye and if the fish feel like they're underfed you can kiss the adults goodbye as well
Actually I was planning on replacing the ghost shrimp in favor of the yellow as I had read about problems and saw a YouTube video of a ghost eating a yellow.

The fish haven't bothered the small ghost shrimp (maybe half full adult, possibly a third) so I don't think the fish will be a problem. The gourami is a piggy but incredibly nonaggressive. The cardinals kind of shoal around him.
Tribe1l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:09 PM   #7
OverStocked
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)

It is super cute that your fish haven't harmed the ghost shrimp. However, once you've plopped down money on the RCS or Yellows, I'm sure they will go on a feeding frenzy.

THe idea here is you don't keep any shrimp with fish you're not willing to lose completely. If you intend to KEEP shrimp, a tank with fish with mouths isn't a good idea. THey'll eat the babies for sure. And if they eat all of the babies and harass the big ones, in a short amount of time you'll have nada. zilch. zero.

Hope that helps.
OverStocked is offline   Reply With Quote