2.5g Betta Tank!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 02-28-2012, 12:18 AM   #1
AquaKai
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

2.5g Betta Tank!

Hello! I'm fairly new to this whole planting thing. I posted a thread in the tank journal thing, but no responses in a little over a day, so I think the people who scan the nano section might be able to help.

I have a 2.5g Mini Bowfront aquarium:

Here are my questions:

I've read that I can use regular Miracle Grow in my tank if I bake it or soak it. Is that true? How much will I need of the soil (inch wise) and of the sand to cover it?

I have a 15w Compact Flourecent Light bulb with 900 lumens. Where would that leave me with plants?

Should I attempt DIY CO2? I'm not sure about this and don't want to invest too much into it.

What plants? I have java moss, xmas moss, anubais afzelii, marimo balls, wisteria and moneywort. I'd like to try (just ideas) HC, DHG, Anubais nana peite, dwarf sag, blxya japonica, frogbits or some other floater, riccia, java fern narrow leaf, hygrophila, or straugyne sp. 'porto velho'.

Any help would be great!

Also, I have some pictures of the tank and driftwood and rocks. If you think that a certain one should go in the tank please tell me! I'd love to hear your opinion!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2012, 12:37 AM   #2
AquaStudent
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

welcome to the planted side of the hobby. You can definitely use Miracle Grow but be sure it's the organic mix. If there are artificial ferts in the mix it'll fry anything you put in the tank. My 5g in fact was dirted using Miracle Grow.

The light you have will definitely be enough lighting given that it's the correct spectrum. Do you happen to know the Kelvin rating of the bulb? Ideally for planted tanks most people shoot for around 6500k (my favorite in fact)

You can definitely experiment with DIY c02. It's fairly easy to setup. Just be sure to watch your tank especially after mixing a new solution because in a smaller setup like that inhabitants can be more easily gassed. DIY c02 can be set up with about a $10 investment.

The best thing about planted tanks is it's pretty easy to try new things. The plants on your list all seem fairly readily available (and you already have a bunch) so I say give them a shot. If you have a particular aquascape in mind shoot for that. See what works with your setup and what doesnt.

I would suggest having plants ready for when you dirt your tank. It helps to avoid huge algae blooms if you have some plants ready to soak up the extra burst of nutrients. Duckweed, frogbit, and other floating plants are good at this but can be difficult to remove if you want them evicted.

Any idea on inhabitants? Shrimp would look great in there. Also it could be a great home for a betta!
AquaStudent is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2012, 01:16 AM   #3
AquaKai
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaStudent View Post
welcome to the planted side of the hobby. You can definitely use Miracle Grow but be sure it's the organic mix. If there are artificial ferts in the mix it'll fry anything you put in the tank. My 5g in fact was dirted using Miracle Grow.

The light you have will definitely be enough lighting given that it's the correct spectrum. Do you happen to know the Kelvin rating of the bulb? Ideally for planted tanks most people shoot for around 6500k (my favorite in fact)

You can definitely experiment with DIY c02. It's fairly easy to setup. Just be sure to watch your tank especially after mixing a new solution because in a smaller setup like that inhabitants can be more easily gassed. DIY c02 can be set up with about a $10 investment.

The best thing about planted tanks is it's pretty easy to try new things. The plants on your list all seem fairly readily available (and you already have a bunch) so I say give them a shot. If you have a particular aquascape in mind shoot for that. See what works with your setup and what doesnt.

I would suggest having plants ready for when you dirt your tank. It helps to avoid huge algae blooms if you have some plants ready to soak up the extra burst of nutrients. Duckweed, frogbit, and other floating plants are good at this but can be difficult to remove if you want them evicted.

Any idea on inhabitants? Shrimp would look great in there. Also it could be a great home for a betta!
I'll look for the organic soil tomorrow or Wednesday Thanks for that. Did you do anything to it when you put it in you tank or do you wash it?

Yeah, I forgot the K rating! It is 6500k. I'm glad that it's good for plants!

I think that I'll try the CO2 thing. I'll get a ghost shrimp or two just to try it out on to see if it'll work. Thanks! I will hopefully be able to do it well!

I like the try it and see if it works method! I'll definitely do some of that. I have a aquascape somewhat in my mind. I've never had floaters and really want to try them. Nothing else I have a turtle and some goldfish that would love a veggie snack

I saw a betta a few days ago that I have my eye on. I'm thinking a betta and a few shrimp. Oh, and a snail as well. Thanks for all of your help! I am so happy you could help!
Old 02-29-2012, 09:15 PM   #4
AquaKai
Planted Member

So, I've heard that there's a difference between the soil and the mix. I know that one has cow manure, but what's so horrible about that? I mean, is the worst that could happen be an algae strike or something? Sorry for my ignorance but just wanting to know.

Now when I get the soil I'm thinking that I would clean it... How? I know to clean sand and such but soil?

Also, I think that I know what I'm going to do with the planting. Dwarf Baby Tears in the front, a rock with riccia on it, driftwood with moss on most of it besides an anubais nana petite, pygmy chain sword and some red rotala. I think that sounds good. I'm hoping to order soon!

Tags
2.5g, light, planted tank, plants, substrate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.