post your local tank(s) - Page 31
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Pennsylvania


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2012, 10:34 PM   #451
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru
 
Fishies_in_Philly's Avatar
 
PTrader: (9/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: phila., PA
Posts: 2,263
Default

what's the plastic bag??

here's a couple of shots of what tanks i have left.
the 75:



the frog tank

Fishies_in_Philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-14-2012, 10:42 PM   #452
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru
 
Fishies_in_Philly's Avatar
 
PTrader: (9/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: phila., PA
Posts: 2,263
Default

dan, i think it's hygro compact and a sword of some kind. if it's the sword i gave him, it never grew "up" for me either.
Fishies_in_Philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:22 PM   #453
ThinkTank
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
ThinkTank's Avatar
 
PTrader: (20/100%)
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 538
Default

i have compact but it grows different for me.

Frog tank looks cool When/what are you stocking it with?
ThinkTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:01 PM   #454
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru
 
Fishies_in_Philly's Avatar
 
PTrader: (9/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: phila., PA
Posts: 2,263
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkTank View Post
i have compact but it grows different for me.

Frog tank looks cool When/what are you stocking it with?
tbere are several varieties of compact. and tbe frog tank will be home to 4 dendrobates leucomelas after the new year.
Fishies_in_Philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:39 PM   #455
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru
 
Fishies_in_Philly's Avatar
 
PTrader: (9/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: phila., PA
Posts: 2,263
Default

oh and the 125 paludarium will house a family of white's tree frogs as well as some sort of rainbow fish and some sydontis catfish
Fishies_in_Philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:37 AM   #456
KingPlakat
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (19/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Philidelphia, PA
Posts: 657
Default

So after a well needed nap, I started boiling each piece of mopani wood I got from petco. I usually don't boil it, but when I put one of the pieces in an empty tank I noticed fungus or some sort of white bacterial growth on the wood. I'm hoping that boiling them for 5 minutes kills whatever might have been in or on the wood. If anyone knows what the whitish film might have been let me know.

I don't have a pot big enough so I did boiled one side then the other. By the time I was done 4 pieces, the water started to get foamy and super brown in the pot. Now there outside sitting in a tank of water to continue letting them leach more of the tannins out. I'll drain and fill every day until water is more or less clear.

I'm hoping when the wood goes into my pleco tank the white stuff doesn't grow back again. I imagine if it's just a bacterial colony, my pleco's will make quick work of it when they rasp the wood.
KingPlakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:04 PM   #457
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru
 
Fishies_in_Philly's Avatar
 
PTrader: (9/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: phila., PA
Posts: 2,263
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPlakat View Post
So after a well needed nap, I started boiling each piece of mopani wood I got from petco. I usually don't boil it, but when I put one of the pieces in an empty tank I noticed fungus or some sort of white bacterial growth on the wood. I'm hoping that boiling them for 5 minutes kills whatever might have been in or on the wood. If anyone knows what the whitish film might have been let me know.

I don't have a pot big enough so I did boiled one side then the other. By the time I was done 4 pieces, the water started to get foamy and super brown in the pot. Now there outside sitting in a tank of water to continue letting them leach more of the tannins out. I'll drain and fill every day until water is more or less clear.

I'm hoping when the wood goes into my pleco tank the white stuff doesn't grow back again. I imagine if it's just a bacterial colony, my pleco's will make quick work of it when they rasp the wood.
the white fuzz is normal. it grows on wood that's been submerged. i normally use it as a gauge to know when it will stay put. when the fuzz goes, the wood will stay submerged on it's own. it's probably coincidence, but it works for me
Fishies_in_Philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:23 AM   #458
KingPlakat
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (19/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Philidelphia, PA
Posts: 657
Default

Thanks Bill. I've had no problems with the wood floating at all, but if you've seen the white fuzz before and it's nothing bad then that's comforting. I was surprised to see that the wood didn't leach too many tannins into the water today. It was only a light tea color after 24 hours of sitting outside. I guess the boiling really helped get the majority out.

I'm going to drain and fill 2 more times before I stick them in my tank though....just to be safe.
KingPlakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:16 PM   #459
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru
 
Fishies_in_Philly's Avatar
 
PTrader: (9/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: phila., PA
Posts: 2,263
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPlakat View Post
Thanks Bill. I've had no problems with the wood floating at all, but if you've seen the white fuzz before and it's nothing bad then that's comforting. I was surprised to see that the wood didn't leach too many tannins into the water today. It was only a light tea color after 24 hours of sitting outside. I guess the boiling really helped get the majority out.

I'm going to drain and fill 2 more times before I stick them in my tank though....just to be safe.
np bud. actually, i like the tannins pluting the water sometimes. blackwater tanks are cool. in fact, when i build the paludarium in the 125, it's gonna be a blackwater stream.
Fishies_in_Philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:49 PM   #460
BBradbury
Wannabe Guru
 
BBradbury's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Greeley, CO
Posts: 1,331
Default Semi Self-sustaining Tanks

Thought I could get some pics posted of my terraphyte tanks. Seems like I posted before, but these are updated shots. I use land plants with roots emersed in the tank. Specifically, Chinese Evergreen, Philodendron and Pothos to maintain stable water conditions for the fish and aquatic plants. Small, weekly water changes to maintain the mechanical backup HOB filtration. Standard low to moderate lighting for all the plants is

The plants take in the nitrogens produced by the fish, so the water stays pure. I just replace the water lost to evaporation and add some liquid trace nutrients weekly.

B
__________________
"Aquarium (Water Building) Keeper"

Last edited by BBradbury; 08-22-2012 at 10:05 PM..
BBradbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:36 PM   #461
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru
 
Fishies_in_Philly's Avatar
 
PTrader: (9/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: phila., PA
Posts: 2,263
Default

that's pretty cool. tbey are a kind of pseudo riparium. i'm liking the riparium style more and more. i'm thinking i need to set up a riparium after i finish my paludarium.
Fishies_in_Philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:38 PM   #462
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru
 
Fishies_in_Philly's Avatar
 
PTrader: (9/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: phila., PA
Posts: 2,263
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBradbury View Post
Thought I could get some pics posted of my terraphyte tanks. Seems like I posted before, but these are updated shots. I use land plants with roots emersed in the tank. Specifically, Chinese Evergreen, Philodendron and Pothos to maintain stable water conditions for the fish and aquatic plants. Small, weekly water changes to maintain the mechanical backup HOB filtration. Standard low to moderate lighting for all the plants is

The plants take in the nitrogens produced by the fish, so the water stays pure. I just replace the water lost to evaporation and add some liquid trace nutrients weekly.

B
btw....you have any buckets to spare? lol
Fishies_in_Philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:58 PM   #463
KingPlakat
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (19/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Philidelphia, PA
Posts: 657
Default

FML...my black moscows have internal parasites. Now the decision to either buy food/medicine and try to treat or deem it a lost cause and eliminate all known infected fish and hope the rest fair well. It seems like it only affects the females...or I just cant tell the males have them because they are much slimmer and hard to see the anus. Guess I'll look online to see my options for treatment. I'm hoping it only affects the guppies and not all my plecos too....they're all in the same tank.
KingPlakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:26 PM   #464
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru
 
Fishies_in_Philly's Avatar
 
PTrader: (9/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: phila., PA
Posts: 2,263
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPlakat View Post
I just cant tell the males have them because they are much slimmer and hard to see the anus
ok, now admittedly, i am no expert on internal parasites, however, that being said, there is so much wrong in this statement that i don't know where to begin...lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPlakat View Post
Guess I'll look online to see my options for treatment.
i think your first option is to stop checking out fishes anus'!LOL
Fishies_in_Philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:10 PM   #465
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru
 
Fishies_in_Philly's Avatar
 
PTrader: (9/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: phila., PA
Posts: 2,263
Default

updated vivarium pic added terrestrials and fogger
Fishies_in_Philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012