Considering a pond from an existing architectural planter
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Ponds

Old 02-26-2012, 10:14 PM   #1
calebkraft
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Considering a pond from an existing architectural planter

This is currently full of dirt. I am considering digging it all out, putting a liner in there, and converting it to a pond. I pushed a rod in there and it got at least a foot before it hit rocks or anything. Looks like it may even be deeper than that.

Any thoughts? This will be more shaded during the summer when the trees have leaves. I just thought that it was the perfect place to be admired every time you walk in/out of the house and it is right outside our giant living room window where we sit and watch birds.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:19 AM   #2
moonshinetheslacker
Planted Tank Obsessed

That looks like an awesome place for a pond! Very feng shui as well. Water features out front are totally groovy. But I see a couple problems... One is the cold. You might end up re-planting the pond every single year... and that might get pretty old/expensive, unless you get some really cheap plants. The other issue is the birds you mention watching. They might like to go fishing in said pond. And lastly, plumbing the pond and filtering it may also be a bit of a pain/expensive.

However, it's a totally rad place for a pond! You could go filterless and use a few goldies, guppies, or mollies. Whatever the birds might eat, would surely get replaced quickly if you have guppies or mollies. If you're a fisherman, you could keep your live bait in it, instead of dumping/flushing at the end of the day too!

But if it were up to me, everyone would have a pond. Even if you live in an RV, I say build one on a trailer, and tow it with you!
Fraternity of dirt #32 I'm dirty
UGLY TANK
DIY Asian themed aquarium stand
moonshinetheslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:40 PM   #3
calebkraft
Planted Member

Yeah, I'm still researching. Birds will be no problem. We attract finches, wood peckers, cardinals, bluejays etc.

Plumbing shouldn't be a huge deal, I really don't plan on having much in terms of fish. Maybe just 1 or 2. I think a decent submersible filter would be able to handle it...(still researching).

The plants are a concern. We do have cold winters here sometimes. I'm not a picky person though and would probably be quite happy with cheap plants. I need to find a list of plants that would fit my climate.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:46 PM   #4
menoseloso
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

nice idea... i dont want to hijack your thread but i would like to ask you a question regarding your pond..

if i were to create a pond in-ground or above ground.. would i have to pay any taxes for it? would i need to have any permits to construct or own one? im from texas incase you need to know more info.. thanks sorry about the intrusion ive just been thinking about it for a long while.
menoseloso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:56 PM   #5
jjp2
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jjp2

that planter looks like its only 1 foot wide or so. Being that Koi may be out of the question, but small fish and plants would be cool there by the door. Is there electrical for a circulating pump?
jjp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:17 PM   #6
moonshinetheslacker
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by calebkraft View Post
The plants are a concern. We do have cold winters here sometimes. I'm not a picky person though and would probably be quite happy with cheap plants. I need to find a list of plants that would fit my climate.
The very best waterplants that will fit your climate are the ones already growing near to you. Tropical plants will die off over winter. If it were me, I'd make a day of hiking around an area that you know of which has a lot of water, and is a bit out in the boonies. Preferably a bit of a swamp. Check out what's growing beneath the surface in shallow water, and what's protruding out of the surface. I'm sure you'll find plenty of plants that are native, and look great.
Fraternity of dirt #32 I'm dirty
UGLY TANK
DIY Asian themed aquarium stand
moonshinetheslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:28 PM   #7
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

Water lilly can survive over the winter. It's pretty small for any big fish but should work pretty well. For any pond, you'll have to worry about predations from cats and raccoons.
mistergreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:52 PM   #8
calebkraft
Planted Member

Yep, cats and racoons might get them. Since it is only about a foot wide, I was thinking more along the lines of a couple goldfish. Nothing fancy. I know we have water lilies here. I'm only about 10 minutes from a shallow lake too.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:08 PM   #9
sockfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

I don't have anything to add in terms of "Pond Lore" but that is just an awesome idea to put a water feature in that planter.

Genius.

sox

12G Rimless Club
sockfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:14 PM   #10
sockfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

Any updates?

sox

12G Rimless Club
Old 04-16-2012, 11:39 PM   #11
calebkraft
Planted Member

Sorry. Pond budget went to $0 when I started a new job. To top it off, pretty flowers bloomed out of it... wife will never give it up now!
Old 04-17-2012, 12:19 AM   #12
sockfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

Bummer. If our house had that feature, I'd try it and post pics for you! It was such a cool idea! Onward...

sox

12G Rimless Club