38 Gal Paludarium - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 05-12-2012, 08:08 PM   #31
megamax42
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by duff View Post
It looks great. I can't quite tell, are you mixing the coco fiber/peat mix in the sealer then applying it or applying the fiber/peat mix then sealing it? It does look quite a bit like mud!
Thanks!! First was a very light layer of just mortar mix, then a little bit thicker layer with coco fibre mixed in. In the beginning I was wanting to stick it on with the sealer but with the way the coco fibre was packaged and entangled it would've looked too artificial I think.
megamax42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2012, 08:47 PM   #32
duff
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (29/100%)

Ok Call me a dork (and there's a visual!) but more questions, if you don't mind? the steps you used were:

1. Egg crate covered in Foam
2. Foam covered in Thin layer of quikrete (with color added)
3. Another layer of colored quikrete with coco fiber added in (or Sealer with the coco)?

Then will you seal it all?

Looking forward to seeing more updates!
Old 05-15-2012, 11:10 PM   #33
megamax42
Algae Grower

Not at all! That exactly it, on step 3 it's the quikrete with coco fibre mixed and then I've sealed everything right now with a couple layers. I still have to attach the walkway for them to get on land (wouldn't really be able to seal some parts of the columns with the walkway in front) and finish the waterfall portion (wanted most of the tank sealed for testing the flow) so eventually the tank will get another resealing.

Just took a video of the paludarium after the new light arrived. Not sure how I feel about the color, they sent 4x 6500k bulbs so I might look into replacing a couple. Sorry for the really dirty glass, I'm waiting on razor blades to clean up the leftover mortar mix. I also added some G.S. to the waterfall for a more realistic look. The blue led's are near the end of the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWPtOPaZFxI
Old 05-30-2012, 02:31 AM   #34
megamax42
Algae Grower

Do you guys think I could get away without drainage holes? I was initially going to drill holes through the platform and planters however I was worried about what could get washed into the water, so I thought maybe I could bypass them with very careful waterings. What do you think?
Old 05-30-2012, 06:00 AM   #35
megamax42
Algae Grower

As for the water substrate I was thinking Flourite original for the color.

Old 06-02-2012, 06:15 PM   #36
megamax42
Algae Grower

Here's a video of it I took today, having the light on it made me see all the spots that need touching up but other than that it's almost ready for plants.

So close I can taste it - YouTube
Old 06-02-2012, 06:25 PM   #37
Chrisinator
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)

That's gonna be awesome!
Chrisinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:38 PM   #38
megamax42
Algae Grower

Thanks! Think I could get away without drainage holes if I do careful waterings?

Right now I'm having trouble deciding whether I should get Flourite Original or Dark, or maybe a combination?
I also just ordered an Eheim 2213 for the tank.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:38 AM   #39
megamax42
Algae Grower

Nighttime led's, although the camera I was using really hated the wavelength generated
I went ahead and bought flourite original and dark so I can do some experimenting.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:18 PM   #40
megamax42
Algae Grower

Just ordered a heater as well:

Old 06-09-2012, 01:26 AM   #41
megamax42
Algae Grower

Got the filter in today, hooked everything up but not entirely happy with a couple things. The little pool next to the waterfall that has water coming entering at a drop a second (literally) has a spot near the back where the water is dripping onto the platform, that same spot also needs some grout so I'll post pictures once everything is finished
Old 06-18-2012, 04:39 PM   #42
megamax42
Algae Grower

I ran into a couple problems when I filled it up, the little pool to the left of the water feature (which slowly feeds the pool) had a low spot in the back where it was hard to reach. When it started filling up the water would drain backwards onto the platform instead of into the water portion, an obstacle I had for some reason not thought of when I was designing it. Thought I fixed it, filled it back up and there's still water back there! However it stayed the same level, so I tried draining the water portion and sure enough it drained from the platform, so there's a hole somewhere on it. I have it partially drained right now trying to dry out the platform so I can smother it in black silicone, since there will be soil over it anyways. Yesterday I added some of the flourite as well, will post pictures when everything settles.

Here's some pics now though to stay true to the title

Bottom of the tank; when I first started and used black great stuff I ended up spraying normal great stuff on top of it while it was still wet because I ran out of the dyed G.S., that black streak along the bottom is the black G.S. expanding underneath the white. I was mindblown at first to come to the tank the next day and see black G.S. oozing out of normal G.S. about a foot from where I sprayed it lol.

Flourite original and dark, original seems a little too light, dark seems a little too dark, hopefully combined it should just about match the grout.

Heater and filter, really love the quick disconnects that came with the eheim, ball valves so I can adjust the flow to the water feature if need be.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:50 PM   #43
megamax42
Algae Grower

Girlfriend lost the camera charger so in the meantime here's a crappy cell phone pic. The plant decisions/placement are not finalized yet and I still need to find some very high light plants that will be suitable for the upper planters.

Planted some dwarf baby tears in the little pool next to the waterfall in the hopes that they switch to an emersed state and form a carpet poking out of the water.

The plant on the right is a peace lily, not sure if this will stay but in the meantime it takes up some space.

The vals in the front will not be staying, I just threw em in there for cycling purposes.

That ivy-esque plant (species unknown, however it resembles Ficus pumila var. minima) on the left doesn't have a permanent location yet. I like where it is on the ramp, however I don't want it stopping the toads from climbing back on to land. I would be ecstatic if it started creeping up the planter on the left (the coco fiber thrown into the grout should be great for it to grab a hold of), however I also want some to remain hanging in the water. The white clouds (the only occupant of this tank at the moment) really enjoy them in the water and can very often be seen swimming through the leaves, an awesome effect with the backdrop of bright green and the fish so close to the surface.

I got the moss from my lfs a couple days ago, a huge patch I managed to cover most of the lower platform with for only $3. However the moss between the left cave and shallow pool isn't doing so well. I'm assuming it's the light intensity because the moss on the far left and right is doing fantastic, and they're shaded by the planter ledges. Fortunately there's a bunch of low light, medium light, and high light zones, so I'm just gonna let them do their own thing. Hopefully the different zones will do some landscaping/aquascaping for me.

As for the construction, I'm generally quite pleased with it. The only negative aspect I'm seeing is the sealer turning cloudy after being submerged. Though hopefully over time bacteria and algae will have grown and died repeatedly on it until it's no longer noticeable. If you look at the water feature where it dumps into the aquarium portion you can see it's already turned from milky colored to a dark greenish-brown.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:10 AM   #44
megamax42
Algae Grower

Good news everyone!
Found my gf's camera charger, let the pic deluge begin. First off with some pics of a hitchhiker snail that found his way up the waterfall and into the upper pool.. and the very high surface tension that's up there.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:42 AM   #45
megamax42
Algae Grower

Next up, some pics of the ivy grabbing a hold of the lower platform and the ramp. Also the moss that I collected for free outside my door, which is flourishing compared to the 'frog moss' I paid $3 for. Last is the entrance to one of their caves with a moss entry rug (they wouldn't wanna get dirt on their nice dirt floor), with some of the ivy's roots creeping in from the left.