Ramshorn snails
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 02-25-2012, 10:50 PM   #1
Alplily
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)

Ramshorn snails

OK, everything I've read says you get these snails when you overfeed... there is NO WAY I am overfeeding. I have a newly planted tank and have NEVER put food in there, but I gots me oodles of wee baby ramshorns happily frolicking in my tank (even though I dipped the plants in bleach). Some are pinkish, some brown...

So, will these eat my plants (another thing I can't find a straight answer on!), or should I live with them (the big pink ones are kind of cute)? There are some CRS in there now. Or should I get assassins to help out? Tank is 10g and planted with mosses, riccia, mini and regular pellia, needle java fern, blyxa j, HC.

Or does anyone want any (when they are big enough to catch)?

12G Rimless Club
Alplily is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2012, 10:53 PM   #2
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Came from the plants somewhere. lol. Egg sack maybe. They don't eat plants, they will eat dying leaves though on a plant or algae on a plant. I keep them in my shrimp tanks, let them eat the extra food the shrimp don't, eat a dying leave before it can decompose, keep the glass clean, etc. The problem with assassins is once you get them, and they eat all your snails, then you have to get rid of them or get more assassins for them to eat. lol. And once in a while, not often, very rare, but an assassin can attack and kill and freshly molted shrimp. Not a bit deal if it was low grade cherry, bummer if its a $300 blue bolt. lol.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:26 PM   #3
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (94/100%)

Snails are great to have in planted tanks and even shrimp tanks. They eat rotting plants, dead things, algae and uneaten food. Ramshorn and pond snails will not touch "healthy" plants so you have nothing to worry about. If you get assassin snails, they might kill some of your shrimp...there have been cases where members have posted that these snails have been killing shrimp.

Learn to live with the snails...you should look at them as a helpful cleanup crew instead of being pests. Also, if you really have pink ramshorn then there is an actual market for them...

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...ils&1330633204
hedge_fund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:29 PM   #4
Eldachleich
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

I think they are kinda useful and cute....
As long as you do not overfeed ever the population should stay waaaay down...
Eldachleich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:40 PM   #5
Alplily
Planted Tank Obsessed

They are not bothering me, as long as they won't make a salad bar of my plants. I do think they are kind of cute and interesting. And I will be curious to see what color they all grow up to be... the ramshorns shall stay! Maybe I'll get lucky and they will all be pink! Maybe there is a ramshorn RAOK in my future...

12G Rimless Club
Old 02-25-2012, 11:44 PM   #6
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (426/100%)

I tend to have about 100 Ramshorns in a 20L at any given time. Some get really large and majestic-looking.

People freak out over them but I'm a huge fan. They're as much fun to watch as shrimp.
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:45 PM   #7
Eldachleich
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alplily View Post
They are not bothering me, as long as they won't make a salad bar of my plants. I do think they are kind of cute and interesting. And I will be curious to see what color they all grow up to be... the ramshorns shall stay! Maybe I'll get lucky and they will all be pink! Maybe there is a ramshorn RAOK in my future...
I've only got two brown ones...
Pink would be awesome.
Apparently they also make an awesome nutritious treat for your fish from time to time..
I've only got two and think they are adorable. So I try not to boil them and chop them up for my fish ol...
Eldachleich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:11 AM   #8
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

They also come in a bright blue every once in a while too that is really cool looking. Also good because they will eat a dead shrimp right away, which is better than having an ammonia spike. 1 shrimp dies, spikes causes another to die and you get a cascade effect. Snails eat them instead.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:20 AM   #9
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)

I used to kill all the snails that came in on plants - now I regret it. After letting one live, I ended up ordering some. They are as fun for me as the fish - the ramshorns I have are pink, but they throw all colors, mostly pinks, leopards, and browns. They've never been a nuisance, never ate healthy plant tissue, and they are fantastic algae eaters. They keep my driftwood pristine. I enjoy them tremendously!
The Fraternity of Dirt # 7 - Daughter of the Dirt - Canon Club #018
Twin 29g Dirt Tanks on an Iron Stand - DIY 3D Backgrounds
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...stand-pic.html
The Behemoth - 125 dirt tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=199772
driftwoodhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:24 AM   #10
thechibi
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Oooh. Pink or blue is cool. I wish my horrible pest snails were cuter... but then they might not be horrible pests I guess.
thechibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:28 AM   #11
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

There could be dead stuff they are eating. I had a massive outbreak of MT snails when I redid the tank as there was a lot of debris to be processed and then they vanished.

Probably most of those babies will die.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:33 AM   #12
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (426/100%)

+1 to this. I have only seen ONE dead shrimp in about five years because of snails. Particularly Ramshorns.

And that's with thousands upon thousands of Cherries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeToChKn View Post
They also come in a bright blue every once in a while too that is really cool looking. Also good because they will eat a dead shrimp right away, which is better than having an ammonia spike. 1 shrimp dies, spikes causes another to die and you get a cascade effect. Snails eat them instead.
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:36 AM   #13
Alplily
Planted Tank Obsessed

Due to it being a new tank and plants are arriving bruised and are getting established, I'm sure they have plenty of dead/dying plant material to snack on. After this discussion, I sure hope they all don't die now! I can always feed them if necessary.

12G Rimless Club
Old 02-26-2012, 12:53 AM   #14
jasonpatterson
Wannabe Guru

You don't get snails because of overfeeding, but if you overfeed a small number of snails will turn into a large number of adult snails.
jasonpatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:55 AM   #15
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

i love ramhorn snails and would gladly give a home to any that are unwanted
acitydweller is offline   Reply With Quote