James' Aqueon Evolve 8G - Start Date: 2/24/12 - - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 03-08-2012, 03:25 PM   #16
kwheeler91
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)

I see the embers now that look back through. those von rios must have outshined them right outta sight

Old 03-08-2012, 03:49 PM   #17
dewalltheway
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (134/99%)

Looks great!
Old 03-08-2012, 03:51 PM   #18
jamesyu
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via AIM to jamesyu Send a message via Yahoo to jamesyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwheeler91 View Post
I see the embers now that look back through. those von rios must have outshined them right outta sight
Thank you for posting, and appreciate all the concerns too. All aquarists gotta look out for each other.

Von Rios definitely outshined the embers, problem with the von rios is that they are not shoaling fish, they like to keep to their own territories when they are not in fear anymore. Plus they don't show their colors until they are comfortable.

Very peckish fish. embers are a bit more of a beta fish, they apply their personalities to other fish that are more dominant in the tank. [at least that's from what i've observed]

aquarium is on day 13, doing A-ok, still a lot of diatom in the tank and I still need to get a turkey baster so that I can get some of the debris into the water column so I can siphon it out of the tank.

All the fish are surviving and i'm just not happy about the algae, diatoms right now -- all due to the gassing. I think there are still some dead fishes in the sump, will most likely clean that out later today.

I'll update on Friday with pictures with the status.

Also my Co2 O-ring broke, need to get a new one.
Been Double dosing the tank with excel hoping to get rid of the diatoms and algae quick.
jamesyu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 03:48 AM   #19
jamesyu
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewalltheway View Post
Looks great!
Thank You for the comments =)
Old 03-10-2012, 03:58 AM   #20
jamesyu
Planted Member

Default Big Day [Day 14]

So with the previous losses, I've regained some of my aquarium's composure.
It's kind of gone back to normal. As my previous post has mentioned, I've replaced the dead stock from being gassed, stopped Co2 for a week.

I've also gotten my O-Ring replaced on the Co2 20oz canister. I'm back in business.

I will begin my Co2 Regimen on Monday [Day 17]

Current Live Stock [repeat]:
6x Harlequin Rasboras
3x Ember Tetras (going to add 2 more)
3x Otocinclus Afinis
1x Honey Gourami
1x Nerite Snail
1x Unknown Snail

Here are pictures:
[Day 9 - End of the day]
Very milky because I've just redosed the tank with tetra safestart and easystart easylife bacteria booster

[Day 14 Photos]

Bunch of Diatoms on my leaves as well as algae.
-+=It's Everywhere=+-
[It was twice as bad day 1 of the gassing]

Plants are recovering well

Left

I got some floaters as well as new Flame Moss

Recovery Pictures

Gordon (Fisherman) is back on top, guarding the aquarium again
Old 03-13-2012, 09:37 PM   #21
jamesyu
Planted Member

[Day 18]

Trimmed the overgrowth on the right hand side of the aquarium away and replaced. You will be able to tell, this is now becoming a big mess, but I love this mess because I've never had so much success in planting in my life!

I'm on a high right with plant growth.

Flame moss was great, Threw away 98% of the frog bit that I bought from another rep on this forum, they were not in great condition. The Ones I did keep Overgrew in a weekend in the aquarium and I had to give it up to the LFS instead of tossing them.

I've kept 1-2 sprouts which will grow in the tank, now that they are acclimated.

I've began double dosing of ferts and a new bubble counter from my Co2 tank is helping me keep my eye on Co2 generation. I got my O-ring replaced from my Paintball canister and the Co2 is back online. I've not upped the Co2 yet, it's 1 bubble every 3-4 seconds.

Happy with my turnout right now.

Will have pictures of the trimming and trimming process tonight. I'll also have new pics from my Canon SD1000, trying out some manual photography.

Looking into buying a Canon S95 for the aquarium as well as the upcoming fanime convention.
==========
New Pictures
==========
Trimmings

Left Overs

Beginning of replanting

Staurogyne Repens are Turning out well -- had to remove 2 stones for more room at the front for a carpet

Finished Replanting

New Pictures using my SD1000

Last edited by jamesyu; 03-14-2012 at 03:44 AM..
Old 03-15-2012, 05:14 PM   #22
jamesyu
Planted Member

[Day 20]
Don't know why, but most of the rasboras are swimming against the water current. Ahh well -- don't know if fish do that often, but it kind of bothers me a bit.

Co2 dosage is back in order 1 bubble ever 2 seconds still

all the plants are beginning to pearl more often, so that's a good sign -- I saw a bunch of pearling against my moss yesterday.

Everything in the aquarium is growing well.

Anxiously waiting for my new S100 camera so that I can take some nice closeup pictures.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:15 AM   #23
Pooky125
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Pooky125 Send a message via MSN to Pooky125 Send a message via Yahoo to Pooky125 Send a message via Skype™ to Pooky125

I've never had a rasbora that didn't love swimming into a strong current. Or a weak one, for that matter. I wouldn't worry about it.

Looks like it's growing in nice. Wondering how quickly those swords are going to outgrow that little spot.
Pooky125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:19 AM   #24
jamesyu
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooky125 View Post
I've never had a rasbora that didn't love swimming into a strong current. Or a weak one, for that matter. I wouldn't worry about it.

Looks like it's growing in nice. Wondering how quickly those swords are going to outgrow that little spot.
Those, luckily are Dwarf swords. They'll never get too big. Thank you for looking. =)

Your tank is coming along well too.
Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk
Old 03-16-2012, 07:51 PM   #25
Pooky125
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Pooky125 Send a message via MSN to Pooky125 Send a message via Yahoo to Pooky125 Send a message via Skype™ to Pooky125

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesyu View Post
Those, luckily are Dwarf swords. They'll never get too big. Thank you for looking. =)

Your tank is coming along well too.
Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk
Ahh, lucky indeed!

Thanks! I should take new pictures this weekend. Getting some interesting Bolbitus growth. Might be worth documenting.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:13 AM   #26
jamesyu
Planted Member

Quote:
Ahh, lucky indeed!

Thanks! I should take new pictures this weekend. Getting some interesting Bolbitus growth. Might be worth documenting.
I can't wait to see the growth =D i'm very happy with mine.
I'm going to experiment with the Bayco 7000k lights, and i'm getting some 10000k lights from ahsupplies.com this coming week.

Going to swap out bulbs to see how they look.

on another side of the news, I got a new camera and am VERY happy with my first manual results -- i'm sure i'll have to fine tune the camera some more to get it to where I want, but i'm really happy about it.

Posting pictures on my next post!
Old 03-18-2012, 03:19 AM   #27
jamesyu
Planted Member

- Update -
[Day 22]

The aquarium is doing great, had to adjust Co2 output today to match 1 bubble per second or 1 bubble per 2-3 seconds.

I got my new Canon S100 and am VERY happy with it!!!

Here are some shots with it:

-+=Shot info=+-
Canon PowerShot S100
F-stop - f/5
Exposure Time - 1/25th Sec.
ISO - 800
Focal Length - 5mm
Max Aperture- 2
Resolution - 180 x 180dpi
Dimensions - 3000 x 4000 (didn't do wide screen shot yet)
Bit Depth - 24

Let me know what you guys think!
The growth in this aquarium has been amazing. I have weekly trimmings and replants. I've gotten rid of some of my old plants (ie java fern + java moss)

Old 03-18-2012, 06:22 AM   #28
Pooky125
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It's growing in really lovely. I think I recall you saying this aquarium is in your office building? Probably no way to turn off the overhead lighting then? Or is it? Hard to tell with THAT much lighting going on. Hah! Eitherway, your shots are improving. My only thought on it, is they seem a bit over exposed and washed out. I would try upping the shutter speed a step or two, or, if you aren't running in full manual yet, adjust your EV down a couple notches. -.7 or -1.0 maybe? Maybe a touch more. That should darken up your pictures a bit, and give everything a little bolder color. At least on the full tank shots. The visible lighting tends to mess with a cameras sensors and wash it all out a bit. I also found removing the cover helped as well.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:18 PM   #29
jamesyu
Planted Member

Quote:
It's growing in really lovely. I think I recall you saying this aquarium is in your office building? Probably no way to turn off the overhead lighting then? Or is it? Hard to tell with THAT much lighting going on. Hah! Eitherway, your shots are improving. My only thought on it, is they seem a bit over exposed and washed out. I would try upping the shutter speed a step or two, or, if you aren't running in full manual yet, adjust your EV down a couple notches. -.7 or -1.0 maybe? Maybe a touch more. That should darken up your pictures a bit, and give everything a little bolder color. At least on the full tank shots. The visible lighting tends to mess with a cameras sensors and wash it all out a bit. I also found removing the cover helped as well.
Thanks for the critique, the overhead lighting goes out around 8PM, it's not as bad, ambient light is okay, I cover the aquarium when I can for total darkness.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:42 AM   #30
jamesyu
Planted Member

[Day 28]
(Friday's update)

I bought some replacement 13watt CFL bulbs and they look great from AHsupply.com.

I have 10000k's and 6700k's I also bought some Bayco's 7000k 13watt CFLs.

I've had to sacrifice 2 of my 6400k bulbs from fluval before it's time, but I wanted the 10000k as soon as I can since they usually have a better color for my eyes to look at.

Tomorrow I'll have pictures up of the 2x 10000k CFL's and 1x 6400k CFL from fluval hagen.

The setup will look like this:
[T T T]
10000k 6400k 10000k

I hope the light setup will look nicer than just 6400k all across. I'm also hoping that the difference in color will help with fish and plant colors.

Steps that I took to replace the lamps for DIY setup.

1 - Buy a Fluval PCL13 lamp 13watt 6400k CFL
2 - unscrew the lamp and bend the socket down or up to break open the seal
3 - use a very small (precision tool) flathead screw driver to seperate the seal from the plastic collar from where you bent down the socket to break the seal.
4 - once you've gone around a full circle(you've bent the metal shielding away from the palstic collar) you can then break the lamp (make sure you're outside so you don't breathe the fumes in).
5 - once you do, continue to break the black seal by pushing through (you may need to clear up the broken glass or what's left over of the bulb/seal
6 - When the seal/socket/bulb has been completely removed - you'll be left with a collar
7 - you can insert a 13watt bulb into the collar and it should plug right into the fluval lamp, but you will need to use a dremel to shave off the tabs that don't fit properly.
8 - you can rescrew the collar back in and it should be snug against the lamp, there may be some give but that can be fixed by using some padding, though I would not recommend it due to the heat produced by the lamp.

Total time to modify the fluval lamp to fit any 2pin 13watt - GX23 light bulb 20 minutes for 2 lamps.

you can go to Walmart to buy bayco 7000k 13watt PCL for 2.58 cents. This will be a nice lamp to keep for future nano tanks. I might now buy more lamps so I can just have these setup for small nano's.

will have pics with lights and how the 10000k looks against the 6400k tomorrow.