Finnex 7.5g Shrimp Cube
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 10-11-2014, 05:03 AM   #1
StrangeDejavu
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

Finnex 7.5g Shrimp Cube

Tank: Finnex 7.5g Low Iron Cube (12" x 12" x 12")
Filter: AquaClear 20 HOB w/ sponge pre-filter
Lighting: Finnex 12" Planted+ LED
Substrate: Eco-Complete
Shrimp: 10x Cherry Shrimp, 4x Amano Shrimp

Plants:
Anubais nana petite
Bacopa Caroliniana
Cryptocoryne Parva
Ludwigia sp. "Red"
Marimo Moss Ball
Marsilea Minuta
Needle Leaf Java Fern
Rotala Rotundifolia
Taiwan Moss

October 10th, 2014

October 31st, 2014

November 10th, 2014

December 10th, 2014

It's been a month now since I started using dry ferts and Excel so I thought i'd post an update. The Rotala nanjenshan didn't work out, it melted and made a mess so I tossed it out. I planted Rotala rotundifolia trimmings in its place so I look forward to that area growing in and getting thick. The Marimo ball is greening up nicely and seems to have grown slightly. The biggest changes i've seen so far has been in the moss and the Needle Leaf Java Fern. Since I started EI dosing + Excel, the once-stagnant java fern has thrown out a ton of new leafs. Still working on the Ludwigia sp. "Red", not sure what it requires to get the rose petal red it displayed when it arrived. I also have a pregnant shrimp so yay for a growing colony.

January 12th, 2015

My final update with this current scape. There's a few things bothering me about this tank, so I plan to tear it down and start over. Growth is good, but I have come to the realization that nanos, HOB filters and stem plants don't go together. Once my stems become tall enough to hide the equipment, the outflow of the AquaClear catches the tops and bends them almost down to the substrate in a "n" shape (pics don't show it since I turn the flow all the way down for pictures). Marsilea minuta refuses to be healthy regardless of EI dosing, medium lighting and Excel. I've never been a fan of the Eco-Complete, and its purchase wasn't intentional (as odd as that sounds). I called my LFS when I set this tank up and asked if they could order a bag of Activ-Flora (fine grain sand substrate). My Dad, who was passing the LFS at the time, went in and paid for it. Without telling me or asking if it was alright, they ordered Eco-Complete so I decided what the heck, i'll use it. I really don't have any complaints as far as growing plants goes, it's just not aesthetically pleasing to me. I plan to replace it with Flourite Black Sand, and try a DHG carpet with just Excel. If that doesn't work, then a Stauragryne repens carpet as plan B. I'll post pics once this project gets rolling.

Last edited by StrangeDejavu; 01-12-2015 at 07:13 PM.. Reason: Update
StrangeDejavu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2014, 05:20 AM   #2
NotCousteau
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Looks great!
NotCousteau is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2014, 07:37 AM   #3
Gravistunn
Algae Grower

I would wait to throw the java moss out if you are looking to get shrimp. You could always toss it in a cup with tank water if your worried it will spread and add it when the shrimp are purchased. It's a nice scape so far I can't wait to see it grow out a bit.

~Travis
Gravistunn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2014, 10:59 PM   #4
StrangeDejavu
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I'm going to put the java moss in a cup as you suggested, I really don't want the algae to spread. It's only in the moss for now but that could change if I leave it in there.

Well, today was fish store marathon day... called and went everywhere and nobody in the county carries red cherry or amano shrimp. I found a fish store out of county that stocks amano's regularly so at least there's that. I guess if it comes down to it I could always use AquaBid but the shipping costs are a pain.
Old 10-12-2014, 03:23 AM   #5
Islandgaliam
Planted Tank Obsessed

Love the wood you have in there...nice job! I really like the Rotala Wallichi idea you have, that would look awesome
Islandgaliam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2014, 04:59 PM   #6
second
Planted Member

PTrader: (15/100%)

Nice looking tank! Please keep us updated
second is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2014, 05:06 PM   #7
Xzavier247
Algae Grower

I just love those cubes. Good job!
Xzavier247 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2014, 07:17 PM   #8
StrangeDejavu
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks guys! I love the piece, but it takes up almost 1/3rd of the tank by itself. Since the java moss was mostly dead and starting to grow algae, I removed the piece. Threw away all the java moss and put the wood in a different tank. I'm going to pick up some malaysian this time, some small pieces to make a "downed log" look with moss growing on that. Should allow more room for the stems to grow instead of being smashed against each other. The moss will be close to the substrate which i'm hoping will help with the algae. I'll post pictures of progress as they happen.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:27 AM   #9
falcooo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

Where did you put the purigen in your AC20? Did you have to remove the media that came with the filter initially?
falcooo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2014, 05:14 AM   #10
StrangeDejavu
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcooo View Post
Where did you put the purigen in your AC20? Did you have to remove the media that came with the filter initially?
From the bottom up: AquaClear course sponge, filter floss, Matrix media, and finally Purigen. I had to cut about 3/4" off the sponge in order to squeeze in the filter floss and Purigen bag.
Old 10-29-2014, 11:53 PM   #11
StrangeDejavu
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Updated the first post as this tank has been rescaped and stocked.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:55 PM   #12
StrangeDejavu
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I changed a few things today. First I drained the tank and scraped the dead GDA, fingers crossed it doesn't come back. Next, I began dosing Excel so i'm hoping it will improve the health and growth of the plants. Pretty happy with how the rescape went, though I think I may put something else in the back where the Nymphoides sp. "Taiwan" is right now. Any ideas? I'm looking for something bushy to hide the HOB.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:47 PM   #13
StrangeDejavu
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Got some Rotala nanjenshan today to replace the Nymphoides sp. "Taiwan". It's a little saggy due to shipping dry but it should come in nicely in the next few days/weeks. I recently learned that ferrous gluconate is pretty much worthless at high KH, as you can see by the iron deficiency in the Ludwigia and new growth on the Rotala. Dry ferts are on the way and hopefully everything will be on track after that.

Old 11-11-2014, 02:29 AM   #14
falcooo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

What is the sponge filter you have on your filter intake? Where did you purchase it?
Old 11-11-2014, 02:43 AM   #15
StrangeDejavu
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It's a Fluval Edge sponge filter, they sell them at PetSmart and Petco if I recall. I got mine on eBay though, 6 of them for $4.19. The shrimp love to sit on it and graze all day long.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Location. As precise as you feel comfortable with.
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, John and his friend Sally both spotted a dalmatian inside of a truck with sirens. The animal with John and Sally is a _ _ _?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.