My first planted - 27 Gallon Marineland Cube
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-04-2015, 12:12 AM   #1
Minadin
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

My first planted - 27 Gallon Marineland Cube

So I used to have 4 tanks, 3 freshwater (no plants) & 1 saltwater, before we moved 2 years ago. I sold them off and just talked the wife into letting me have an aquarium in the new house. I had lurked, read and absorbed a ton of information here 2 months before even asking her.

A lot of your tanks are beautiful and I really want the trimming & aquascaping aspects of a planted tank. Watching coral grow is slooooow.

I value ALL advice. I will try to update as much as possible because I didn't really see much out there on the 27gallon cube for a planted tank.

My new tank with initial fill to check for leaks. I went with very fine gravel substrate as I am not ready to do a dirty tank.

Old 01-04-2015, 12:14 AM   #2
zenche
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

neat looking tank! any thoughts on kind of plants? thoughts on Co2 and lighting?
zenche is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2015, 12:19 AM   #3
Minadin
Algae Grower

Default Marineland Single Bright Light

The tank came with a double bright but they let me switch for a single bright. I did this because I read a double had more focused light and the single was more dispersed. It doesn't look that bright to me.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenche View Post
neat looking tank! any thoughts on kind of plants? thoughts on Co2 and lighting?
Thanks. I am planning on going tomorrow to PetSmart to buy some plants. I have the list of low light plants from the forum. I will kinda play it by ear. I did buy a light for $10 and compact 6500K bulb for $5 at Lowe's. I will post the pictures of it in a little bit.

As far as Co2 I do not think I will need it.

Bump: I bought some Mopani & Malaysian driftwood from Dr's F&S after going to locals and seeing $20 price tags for small brick like pieces. This was what I got for around $22 Total. I like the trunk like piece and I think overall a great deal.

Old 01-05-2015, 01:48 AM   #4
Minadin
Algae Grower

Default Driftwood, Tannins and $15 Lowe's Light

So soaked the driftwood for 2 days in a bucket with 2 water changes. Also included a picture of my $15 Lowe's light.

After putting in driftwood

Next Day

Lowe's light - Fixture $9.99 Bulb is 6500K Compact Spiral
Old 01-05-2015, 05:37 AM   #5
Whjdm069
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Very nice start. Can't wait to see it planted.
Whjdm069 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2015, 06:40 AM   #6
hooliganz
Algae Grower

Really like the look of that tank, especially the positioning of the 2 driftwood pieces. I'm excited to see how the planting goes.
hooliganz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2015, 04:17 PM   #7
mesohorny
Algae Grower

i actually have this exact tank; you can see the link in my sig. I kept the Double Bright and added the Single Bright. I measure a par of high 30s to low 40s at the substrate, and grow various Crypt species, a Taxiphyllum sp, and a Ludwigia sp. while the Double Bright only has 9 LEDs, it's markedly brighter than the Single Bright with a much higher PAR. by the time the light hits the substrate, it will be somewhat more diffused and spread out, though I admit that my Ludwigia grows toward the individual nodes once it gets within 6" of the surface or so. I can tell you that you may gave trouble growing anything other than Bolbitis, Microsorum, or some mosses with just the Single Bright, and slowly at that. the best advice I can give you is to add light.

Bump: if I had read more closely, I would have seen that you did add more light! at any rate, i'll subscribe to this thread and see how you come along!
Old 01-06-2015, 12:30 AM   #8
Minadin
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesohorny View Post
i actually have this exact tank; ....
Thanks, I have subscribed to your thread. It was hard to find much on these tanks online.

Bump: So I went to Petsmart last night after work. Picked up 9 neon tetras and 2 rainbow coreys. They had some nice plants in tubes by TopFin on an endcap. I picked 2 tubes & 1 from a livetank and was excited.

I come home put the fish in and write the names from the tubes so I can research them here. Guess what?! I bought junk apparently and feel like such a rube. They really didn't have anything from the low light plant list.

I got 1 bunch of mondo grass, 1 tube of Peacock Fern & 1 Amazon Sword. Apparently the first 2 plants are terrestrial / land based plants. Bah!

Old 01-06-2015, 04:32 PM   #9
ffmurray
Algae Grower

nice start on the tank, I recently started my first planted tank(about 3 months ago), and it has been an adventure. Ive learned a lot about the hobby on these forums, and my tank has gone pretty well because of it, so keep reading and learning.

a few things
-mondo grass, not an aquatic plant. It will look good for a while but can not be fully submerged(i bought it too when i was starting)
-peacock fern, semi aquatic plant, can remain submerged either
-swords are fully aquatic and ive had good luck with them
-you have to watch those tubes at petsmart, not all of them are fully aquatic, even the ones that say they are. I always bring my smartphone and google the plants when im looking at them

Good luck, I cant wait to see your progress.

as always, any comments, questions or criticisms are greatly appreciated.
ffmurray is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2015, 04:13 PM   #10
Minadin
Algae Grower

Aquatop 150W Submersible Heater
Eheim Classic 150 Canister

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffmurray View Post
nice start on the tank, I recently started my first planted tank(about 3 months ago), and it has been an adventure. Ive learned a lot about the hobby on these forums, and my tank has gone pretty well because of it, so keep reading and learning.

I always bring my smartphone and google the plants when im looking at them

Good luck, I cant wait to see your progress.
I will check everything on iphone from now on.
Old 01-11-2015, 02:48 PM   #11
ffmurray
Algae Grower

any updates on the tank? I know its only been a couple of days but i get impatient...

as always, any comments, questions or criticisms are greatly appreciated.
ffmurray is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2015, 08:09 PM   #12
Minadin
Algae Grower

Default Patience

I have been researching and checking my water parameters since my last post. It looks like I will need to get some plants from forum members. I will look into getting clippings as I don't want to rush in again on anything.

@mesohorny - Good luck with your stand build. Looks good so far.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.