57 Gallon Tank (Learning from my first planted tank) - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 03-09-2012, 11:51 PM   #46
sundragon
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

A week after the tank was setup they started hiding and I asked a few people, they said I may have the CO2 turned up too high - I dropped it with no change - brought it back up with no change.

After about a week, they started coming out and eating regularly - It may have been my constant meddling in their tank, lol

Old 03-10-2012, 01:40 AM   #47
sundragon
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Update Day 18

Initial algae bloom at two weeks is on full - nothing weird, just green glass and the rocks/wood are showing a dusting.

The dwarf hair grass is looking less like hair plugs for men and spreading in nicely. I'm going to order some more dwarf HG and pull out the HC that I have on the right side - I'm not sure I like the way it looks in this tank, and I keep finding it floating and have to use tweezers to replant every few days.

The christmas moss I got on Aquabid was beautiful green, now it's got some brown patches and it's not as bright green. I'm not sure if it's just the initial algae bloom of a new tank or the moss is adjusting. I'm dosing with excel, iron and micro ferts. I'm about to order macros, but the rest of the plants are growing well... I will wait this out. I thought moss was pretty hard to kill

Here's a video in HD: link

I ordered more clean up crew:
  • 2 zebra otos (to add to the 3 otos that I have).
  • 4 Caridina Babaulti green (though, I'm thinking of switching to amanos because they are better at cleaning algae).
  • 6 Cardinals to increase the current population.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3106.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	217.1 KB
ID:	43775  

Old 03-10-2012, 08:59 PM   #48
sundragon
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Went to CCA (Capital Cichlid Association) and met Msjinkzd! She had come down to attend and brought my critters! Nothing better than hand delivery. The driftwood she had as "leftovers" were really nice pieces. I would have bought a few pieces had I the room.

Switched the Caridina Babaulti green with Amanos! Not as pretty but they work harder. She included a few more in case my angels wanted shrimp. Thus far they are making salad out of the algae and the angels ignore them like the cardinals. The Zebra Otos are really cool, and huge

Zip car issues required a quick retreat back to the D of C
Old 03-10-2012, 10:33 PM   #49
sundragon
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Lurving da otos
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2593.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	170.4 KB
ID:	43807  

Name:	IMG_2601.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	181.0 KB
ID:	43809  

Last edited by sundragon; 03-11-2012 at 03:24 AM..
sundragon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2012, 10:56 PM   #50
Bettacrazy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

I think a pair of rams would look really nice in there.
Bettacrazy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2012, 11:06 PM   #51
sundragon
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettacrazy View Post
I think a pair of rams would look really nice in there.

Any recommendations?
Old 03-11-2012, 03:25 PM   #52
Bettacrazy
Planted Tank Obsessed

german blue rams.
Bettacrazy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2012, 03:19 AM   #53
omeezy
Algae Grower

+1 ^^
omeezy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2012, 05:48 AM   #54
Gookis
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)

Agree with the GBR's! I miss them! I have happy group of Apistos now.

I also added a couple of Zebra Otos to my tank recently (same exact tank actually) and love them!!

Nice work and I too love that Angel!

Matt

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"
-The Late, Great Colonel Sanders-
Gookis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2012, 02:32 PM   #55
sundragon
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks! I have two caves currently occupied by amanos. They formed at the bottom of the driftwood around rocks. I don't know much about apistos but they like caves?

The zebra otos are larger than my other otos.

I've seen a lot of really cool apisto pictures but finding a nice pair - I like the red ones as well. Where's a good place to purchase some?
Old 03-12-2012, 02:34 PM   #56
sundragon
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gookis View Post
same exact tank actually
Matt
Your tank looks mighty familiar Really sweet looking! love how driftwood contrasts the rocks on the other side.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:24 PM   #57
sundragon
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Update Day 25:

Here's a video in HD

Plants:
  • The dwarf baby tears is growing nice and green but at a glacial pace. I'll let it grow in pockets around the driftwood and stones but I've given up on the idea it's going to expand into a carpet. The dwarf hair grass by comparison has been growing crazy and is slowly overtaking it. There are two bunches on the right that haven't expanded and I suspect I planted them with cotton so their roots are trapped. I'll fix that shortly. I'm also moving the rocks to piles near the driftwood as the dwarf hair grass expands so there are no holes.
  • The rest of the plants are growing well, the Anubias hasn't rooted to the driftwood yet, but it's getting there.
  • The Rotala are picking up red/pink at their tips and bushing up from the last trim. I'm going to wait till they get a little taller before I do another trim.
  • Lastly, the Red Tiger Lotus that nearly died in shipping has bounced back, and the other ones from GWAPA are growing well.

Equipment:
  • I'm putting a barbed Y and adding my spare lily intake to have two going into one to increase the flow for the 406. I'd rather have too much flow and dial back then not enough. I'm going to switch out the carbon for Seachem Matrix. I used the carbon initially to remove any toxins from initial setup but I don't use carbon normally. I'm going to swap out the Biomax with Matrix one basket every month. More bio is always good and the Seachem Purigen does wonders polishing.
  • I'm also going to move the output lily to the front and the input on the back side of it like Amano/Knott's tanks. I wasn't sure how to set it up and now after a bit of study, the output is directed across the front where there aren't as many plants.

Fauna:
  • 10 more Amanos en route from Msjinkzd for aglae clean up duty. SO not looking forward to them climbing up the net onto my arm again...
  • I just ordered the two Apistos pictured below. I may add a couple of Blue Rams if I think the tank can handle additional bioload.
  • I am considering Discus, but it's a big commitment - I'd buy adults so I don't deal with the stunted growth/water quality issue and they are hardier fish. It's the 50% water change 2x a week that's a bit much. Sundragon is lazy

Any suggestions on what to put in the background on the right?

I want something tall and wondering if the crypts will expand out with baby crypts or should I just go ahead and plant a few more.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Apistogramma_hongsloi_II.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	44117  

Name:	IMG_2621.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	44119  

Last edited by sundragon; 03-17-2012 at 02:58 AM..
sundragon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2012, 05:26 PM   #58
sundragon
Planted Tank Enthusiast

New Tank Syndrome after a water change and filter service

Not sure what I did - I've owned fish for a while and I know all the rules for avoiding new tank syndrome.

Saturday - did a 20% water change and serviced the 406 by removing the carbon and swapping out the purigen with fresh bags. I rinsed the sponge and biomax in declorinated fresh warm water and added Seachem Matrix to the basket that used to hold the carbon.

All day things were well, had St. Patty's day party and left the lights on - tank looked great, no weird things going on. At 1:30 I went to bed and switched off the lights manually.

Sunday morning I got up and my Koi angel was dead, upside down. Two amano shrimp had gone carpet surfing, one of the last neons and the chinese Hillstream Loach were dead...

I bought that koi at 1/2 it's size and it was a good 6+ inches nose to tail -

The other two angels were fine, the cardinals were up at the top gasping for air and the otos and corys were making trips up to get air...

Quickly started a water change - and tested the water.

pH - 6.4
NH3/4 - 0 free (Seachem)
NO2 - 1ppm
NO3 - 10-20ppm

Nitrite spike? What the...?

Did a 50% water change, restested and NO2 - 0 ppm

Went ziplining all day. Came home around 9 and the fish were distressed but none were dead - Started a water change and tested the water again.

pH - 6.4
NH3/4 - 0 free (Seachem)
NO2 - 0.5 ppm
NO3 - 10 ppm

Changed 50% of the water.

This morning woke up to only the otos going up for gasps.

Tested the water and started a water change.

pH - 6.4
NH3/4 - 0 free (Seachem)
NO2 - under 0.25 ppm
NO3 - 10 ppm

Changed 20% of the water

tested NO2 again - 0 ppm

Headed to the office today. I'll test it when I get home and do another W/C if necessary.

It totally caught me off guard - I used all the precautions on Saturday - Did my usual routine. Only difference was the water used to rinse the filter material was Prime treated warm fresh water.

It wasn't hot, but maybe the warmer water killed the bacteria off?

They were fine all day from the time of water change (noon) to 1:30 AM and nearly dead at 10 AM.

I'm trying to trace my steps and I've looked up New Tank Syndrome (NTS) after water changes online and I did everything right as far as I can tell. I'm weary of how long this will progress and I don't want to do whatever that caused this again.

Sigh
Old 03-20-2012, 12:50 PM   #59
Erica
Planted Member

PTrader: (16/100%)

How long does a paintball tank last you in this setup? I'm getting the same equipment for my 40B, so I'm curious how often I'm going to have to get refills.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:54 PM   #60
sundragon
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica View Post
How long does a paintball tank last you in this setup? I'm getting the same equipment for my 40B, so I'm curious how often I'm going to have to get refills.
Currently it's running at 1 - 1.5bps to keep the pH/KH calc to make the CO2 in the 24 degree range - I'd say about 6+ months would be a safe bet. I'd get two filled and when one dies, just swap and take the other in for refill.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.