57 Gallon Tank (Learning from my first planted tank) - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 02-24-2012, 09:12 PM   #31
sundragon
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangelss View Post
Three breeders that I have ordered from and really have extreamly high quality fish and excellent shipping is
Macs Discus: http://macsdiscus.com/
Discus Madness: http://www.discusmadness.com/
Rocky Mountain Discus: http://www.rockymountaindiscus.com/

The first two have huge selections of colors and sizs. Discus Madness has very good color pictures. I have had fish shipped from all three several times. Great customer service and first rate fish!
Thank you!!!

I've been in contact with Discus Madness. Great at answering questions. I'm weary of shipping a fish that's on the delicate side, but I guess it happens all the time.
sundragon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2012, 09:17 PM   #32
sundragon
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150EH View Post
People ask all the time and it's a good idea to ask in the water flea market and you want to check your light with the new PAR meter, I was wondering about the dead Eheim as they are too good and expensive to throw out and can be fixed somehow.

I sold a 2215 that I owned and used everyday for 7 years, I had just put in a new 2217 impeller and a new gasket for the motor head and I got $35 for it but they will ask if you have a minimum but I didn't. But I used it for 4 or 5 months after I installed the new parts so I feel like it was a good deal all the way around and it will last the new owner for another 7 years.

Well too cool that your already a member and I'll see you at the meeting.
I just posted a few questions on the flea market, good advice!

It's a great filter! quiet, no leaks - the double tap unit - Eheim 7444578 - broke and I couldn't let the fish wait for a spare part to ship so I purchased a Fluval 406 from a LFS - not cheap. I won't get rid of the Eheim or let it go for nothing as I can order the part and in a week it will can be up and running. I almost don't want to sell it - but if I keep it I will be tempted to MTS... Resistance is futile

The Fluval 406, btw, is whisper smooth, easy to setup, and prime.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:28 PM   #33
sundragon
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Update: Almost a week.

I added some cardinal tetra to make a school - The remaining 3 neons were really stressed and are now schooling with them - 10 total. I'll consider adding 5 more in a bit to make the school fill out. It's interesting to see the size difference between the mature neons and the young cardinals - The mature female neon is 2x the size of the cardinals.

I also added 2 otos to the surviving one - they like schools and algae cleaning is a must.

I added some Dwarf Baby Tears - which should really be called "Grown man crying" - what a pain in the a$$
The patch will *hopefully* fill out - currently, like the dwarf hair grass, it's hair club for men in bunches a few cm apart. We'll see which one I like better or just keep both. This is all about experimenting.

The nearly dead Red Tiger Lotus is recovering and I got 3 more tiny ones from the GWAPA meeting.

Lastly I added some Christmas moss to the driftwood. I'm gonna see how this grows. I love the way the wood looks bare, but a few patches will make it look more natural.

The Rotala H'ra is starting to get red Which means it's happy - there's enough iron, light, and CO2.

Sorry about the bad lighting but here's what it looks like 6 days later right after the additions.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2513.jpg
Views:	567
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	42890  

Name:	IMG_2515.jpg
Views:	564
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	42891  

Name:	IMG_2516.jpg
Views:	566
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	42892  

Name:	IMG_2522.jpg
Views:	570
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	42893  

Name:	IMG_2525.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	42894  

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg
Views:	569
Size:	185.8 KB
ID:	42924  

Last edited by sundragon; 03-28-2012 at 04:43 AM..
Old 02-27-2012, 01:13 PM   #34
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

You tank looks nice and the Baby Tears and Dwarf Hairgrass should fill in nicely as long as there are no chiclids in your tank, they like to tug on things and re-arrange the substrate. I would think your Tiger Lotus may spring back too but I'm not quite sure if they melt like Crypts every time you move them or change anything in the tank.

It's too bad you didn't sell your filter and I think the price was fine but the whole auction was unusually small and slow, nobody was in a real spending mood and almost everything sold for $2 with only a couple exceptions. Well now that you know where to get really cheap plants and just about any variety you'll need that filter for your new tank, I think you came in too late too see Cavan's talk on the plant of the month but I think he works for the Smithsonian Institute and most of his plants are one of only a few in the country so that's why the bidding gets crazy when his plants are for sale.

Good luck with your tank and I hope to see you at the next meet.
150EH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2012, 01:17 PM   #35
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

I almost forgot, you might want to add a link back to your journal in your signature line, it just makes it easy for people to find you and you'll get a lot more feed back on your tank too.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:28 PM   #36
sundragon
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
You tank looks nice and the Baby Tears and Dwarf Hairgrass should fill in nicely as long as there are no chiclids in your tank, they like to tug on things and re-arrange the substrate. I would think your Tiger Lotus may spring back too but I'm not quite sure if they melt like Crypts every time you move them or change anything in the tank.

It's too bad you didn't sell your filter and I think the price was fine but the whole auction was unusually small and slow, nobody was in a real spending mood and almost everything sold for $2 with only a couple exceptions. Well now that you know where to get really cheap plants and just about any variety you'll need that filter for your new tank, I think you came in too late too see Cavan's talk on the plant of the month but I think he works for the Smithsonian Institute and most of his plants are one of only a few in the country so that's why the bidding gets crazy when his plants are for sale.

Good luck with your tank and I hope to see you at the next meet.
Thanks! I have had 2 bites on Craigslist. I priced it low - if it doesn't sell this week, I'll just pay $30 get the part and keep it. I saw some of the pictures that were sitting on the right hand side of the room. Really cool! I'll be back again - I have to rent a car to make it out to the burbs - It was an hour drive from DC this time, but it's great being able to talk to plant/fish people, haha.

Quote:
I almost forgot, you might want to add a link back to your journal in your signature line, it just makes it easy for people to find you and you'll get a lot more feed back on your tank too.
Just did that!
Old 03-01-2012, 01:15 AM   #37
sundragon
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Default Video update

Moved the pipes to one side as recommended. Dialed down the CO2 to 2bps cuz I was gassing the angels

Youtube: Only the roseate bank of lights is on

I'll decide to dial down the CO2 more if they are still timid tomorrow AM.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2557.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	43115  

Name:	IMG_2560.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	43116  

Old 03-01-2012, 01:22 AM   #38
LetThereBeFish
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Looking good! That light fixture sure looks pricey. Oh and beautiful angels.
LetThereBeFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2012, 01:36 AM   #39
sundragon
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetThereBeFish View Post
Looking good! That light fixture sure looks pricey. Oh and beautiful angels.
Haha, thanks! I asked a few "fish" friends and they recommended spending money for a good unit in the long run.

I negotiated a 10% discount when I called the retailer It wasn't super expensive and ended up being cheaper than the Coralife quad bulb at the LFS.

The digital timer and single power cord for 3 banks of lights make it easy to use.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:57 AM   #40
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

Looks good and I like you journal link, it makes finding you so much easier. If you want to go to the next meeting or one in the near future, make a post at GWAPA that you need a ride because with members in MD & VA you are right in the middle.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:04 AM   #41
sundragon
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Looks good and I like you journal link, it makes finding you so much easier. If you want to go to the next meeting or one in the near future, make a post at GWAPA that you need a ride because with members in MD & VA you are right in the middle.
Thanks! Ditto on your tank. I'll ask - I feel bad asking people to go out of their way - I will need to buy a plant book so I can quickly look up the scientific names of the plants - I was busy on my phone trying to google them as all of you bid, haha
Old 03-01-2012, 05:44 PM   #42
bif24701
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

How do you like the Fluval 406? I just purchased one, I've had a 305 for a year now and very very happy with it.

5+ Aquariums
Reef, Planted, African Chiclids, soon to be: Discus

36g planted, 24w X4 T5 HO Aquaticlife
Fluval 305, AC 70, working on CO2
bif24701 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2012, 05:06 PM   #43
sundragon
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bif24701 View Post
How do you like the Fluval 406? I just purchased one, I've had a 305 for a year now and very very happy with it.

5+ Aquariums
Reef, Planted, African Chiclids, soon to be: Discus
Thus far it's been good. No leaks, very quiet and it primes well considering the input/exhaust lines are partially horizontal.

I wish they would make canister filters wider and shorter so we'd have more room between the top of the filter and the bottom of the tank. I've shortened the line between the filter and the CO2 diffuser so there is less of a bend right out of the filter.

Last edited by sundragon; 03-02-2012 at 10:00 PM..
Old 03-02-2012, 10:26 PM   #44
sundragon
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Zaftig otos - I thought I had posted this earlier - guess not.

I was afraid they would be starving with little visible algae (they haven't eaten anything else I've given them) but saw a fat one swim past and land on the driftwood while I was checking the water conditions.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2564.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	43294  

Name:	IMG_2561.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	43295  

Last edited by sundragon; 03-28-2012 at 04:47 AM..
Old 03-09-2012, 11:45 PM   #45
AlecFish
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

I saw your Day 9 update on your tank. What do you mean by the Angels being gassed?
AlecFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.