Thoughts/Advice on my new 75g Planted Tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 02-22-2012, 12:16 AM   #1
mikielh1984
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Thoughts/Advice on my new 75g Planted Tank

Hey PTF,

I am just getting into larger planted tanks and wanted to post some photos of my tank so I could get some feedback, thoughts, advice or just general comments.

I personally feel like I need some more background plants and some more bunch plants but other than that I am just letting stuff grow out a bit.

Thanks in advance for any comments or advice.

mikielh1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2012, 01:04 AM   #2
discuspaul
Planted Tank Guru

So far, your set-up looks very good.
Consider attaching some Anubias to your great-looking driftwood, I believe that would look superb.
A background for your tank would help a good deal too.
What are you planning to finish stocking your tank ?
You have the makings of a dramatic looking tank !
Keep up the good work.
discuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:51 AM   #3
emkbass
Algae Grower

I like it so far. I'm not much on backgrounds other than painting the back of the tank black. Makes all the colors in the tank stand out more.
emkbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:35 AM   #4
mikielh1984
Algae Grower

Thanks so much for the advice Discuspaul. I actually have a solid black background that I plan on adding. I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I have thought about attaching some plants to the driftwood but which Anubias would you suggest.

As for stocking I am done as far as fish go. I have 7 Discus (which you can kind of see in the bottom right) they are hiding because I just finished cleaning my tank. I have a few dither fish (neons and black neons) and several corys and 2 plecos (gold nugget and bn).

As for plant stocking, I am still trying to decide. I am not sure what I want to do. I have been slowly picking things that I find attractive. I am also looking for some ground cover but from what I have read most doesn't do well at the higher temp Discus water. If you have any suggestions on that I would love to hear them.

Thanks again for the time and I will update my progress as I move forward and I get it grown out more.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:30 AM   #5
discuspaul
Planted Tank Guru

Yes, I see the discus now - sorry I should have looked a little more carefully before answering. BTW, they'll take a little while to settle in & become comfortable in your tank, so be patient & give them some time
For Anubias, I'd suggest Anubias Nana (Petite) - I think they'd look super on your dw.
Your tank is a real good size, so a couple of Amazon Swords would do nicely in there.
There are others too that can do well in the higher discus temp - examples are Hygrophilias, Ludwigias, Lotuses, Crypts, Java Ferns & others. Depends what you like and how well planted you want your tank to be.
My experience has been that almost all ground cover doesn't do well at temp over 80 F, but doesn't mean you shouldn't try it if you want to.
Get a background or paint the back of the tank & post some pics - looking forward to seeing it develop.
discuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:54 AM   #6
xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

Your tank looks great so far, would you mind listing everything you have in the tank thus far?

Like.... Substrate, Filtration, Lighting, any Co2, are you dosing with ferts, etc......

But the tank looks very nice, I agree with adding in some Anubias Nana to the driftwood!!
Old 02-22-2012, 05:19 AM   #7
mikielh1984
Algae Grower

Equipment:
75 Gallon Tank
Coralife T5 HO Dual Light w/ 10k Bulb and a 6700 Bulb
Eheim 2217 Classic
Whisper Air Pump hooked up to bubble bar
DIY Co2 setup.
Sand Substrate

Plants:
1x Madagascar Lace
Several Java Ferms
A little baby Dwarf Tears (still grown and just recently introduced)
2x Some type of asian anubias. Not sure exactly but I know that is what I was told when I bought it. (it grows very tall and has very large green leaves with red spots)
1 x Large Manzanita Driftwood (36"x14"x18")
1 x small piece of driftwood

I will include a few more photos to show what I have now that I am home.

You can see one of my little Discus behind. (I think this is some kind of sword?)

Not sure what this is but it grows like crazy and is beautiful!

I just bought this as I thought it would make a great background addition to my tank.

Java Fern?

Not sure? A little algae build up

A dying/dirty lace plant.

If anyone can help identify these it would be great! I hope that helps out! Again thanks for the comments and help.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:06 AM   #8
audioaficionado
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Lose the bubble wand in back. Other than that it looks like a good start. Maybe add some moss to the wood.

45 gal tall high-tech : 2-23-12 update
Complete CO2 Leak Test : How to build a CO2 regulator

Never argue with a fool. Onlookers often can't tell the difference.
Growing older is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My advice is free and worth every penny.
audioaficionado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:14 PM   #9
mikielh1984
Algae Grower

I was actually already considering that. Excuse my lack of knowledge when I ask though but will this change anything with my tank? ie Flow rate, oxygen, etc?
Old 02-22-2012, 07:46 PM   #10
mikielh1984
Algae Grower

Anyone have any thoughts to what the above plants are? Would love to know so I can start to make sure I am keeping the right things in my tank.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:07 PM   #11
NWA-Planted
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Very good start! I am thinking some moss on some of my would as well. The anubis would look very nice as well

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
NWA-Planted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:22 PM   #12
mikielh1984
Algae Grower

A quick update on gear. I just bought a Hydor ETH 300w Inline Heater and Hydor Koralia Evolution 750 Power Head. Trying to get a better flow rate and better/more stable heat.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:12 PM   #13
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Love that wood, looks great in your tank. Look at the Anubias nana or A. n. 'petite' to stick in some of the crotches of the wood.

The 'some kind of sword' does look like a sword plant.

The 'crazy and beautiful' plant looks like green tiger lotus to me, trim the too tall leaves and it might settle down and grow into a beautiful bush for you. Left alone it will send up floating leaves and shade everything in the tank. It might flower even but all the other plants in the tank would be suffering while it builds up strength to do so.

The 'good background' plant might be Cryptocoryne balansae, not sure.

'Java fern' looks more like one of the Hygrophilia corymbosa varieties to me.

The algae covered plant is good old water wisteria, Hygrophilia difformis.

The unhappy lace plant isn't suited to a discus tank, it prefers cooler water. I don't know about any of the other plants though.

The air wand's bubbles make ripples in the surface of the water which provides better gas exchange for your very warm water. If your filter output produces ripples then you don't need the air wand. One less piece of equipment in the tank, no noisy air pump and probably more CO2 for the plants.

What clean up crew do you have in the tank? A multi pronged approach works best I think. Otos, bristlenose, ramshorn snails, corys and even common platies that never stop picking at all the surfaces are in my tank.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:18 PM   #14
mikielh1984
Algae Grower

Thanks so much Kathyy! I am looking forward to the Anubias. I have been eyeing some for a while I just didn't know where to put it and now I know!

As for the plants, thanks for advice and names. It's good to get some clarification. I feel like I have a good knowledge of fish names but am still working on building my mental list of plant names.

Also it's good but sad to know the lace plant doesn't work in my tank maybe I can add it to my smaller and cooler Betta tank.

The air wand I think I can get rid of it because the Eheim 2217 definitely makes ripples so no worries there.

As for cleanup crew I have 1 BN Pleco, 1 Gold Nugget Pleco, Several Corys, 2 Spotted Nerite Snails and a few Rams Horn Snails.

Should I have more?
Old 02-22-2012, 11:44 PM   #15
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Sounds like a nice clean up crew. I just don't think my clean plant leaves are only because I am finally doing a good job with CO2, fertilizers, filtration and all that stuff is all.

Now you have some plant names you can find out if they are good in warm tanks or not.

Most here say DIY CO2 isn't going to work in a big tank. You might want to lower the lighting to take full advantage of the CO2 you do get. Some will run a number of bottles and change one at a time too. Or you could raise the lights, put screen between the surface and the lights or even allow that lotus to grow a few floating leaves to shade the tank.

Tags
advice, new setup, new tank, planted tank