nVladik's Custom 125 - ** Updated March 31, 2012 **
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 02-19-2012, 10:49 PM   #1
nvladik
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

nVladik's Custom 125 - ** Updated March 31, 2012 **

Started the thread on another forum, but decided to continue here. Here's the original post from beginning of January. The tank and stand are custom built. Tank has a single center overflow, with 2x 1" intakes and a single 3/4 return. 14 gallon sump is used for filtration, both overflow and sump are filled with bio-balls.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1922.jpg
Views:	529
Size:	167.0 KB
ID:	42329  

Name:	DSC_1923.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	218.3 KB
ID:	42330  

Name:	DSC_1926.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	42331  

NIKON pimp #017
Sump pimp #014

Last edited by nvladik; 04-01-2012 at 12:17 AM..
nvladik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2012, 10:51 PM   #2
nvladik
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Default Update: February 19, 2012

For today's actual update, tank now has a bit more plants, stone layout is more or less done and finally finished the plumbing with 15W Aqua UV. Light I am using is Aquatic Life 72" T5 HO's, 4x 36" 6500k and 4x 36" rosettes.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_2070.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	42332  

Name:	DSC_2071.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	233.6 KB
ID:	42333  

Name:	DSC_2072.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	168.1 KB
ID:	42334  

Name:	DSC_2073.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	42335  

NIKON pimp #017
Sump pimp #014
Old 02-19-2012, 11:18 PM   #3
synaethetic
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

That's a great looking hardscape! Very nice start.
synaethetic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2012, 11:21 PM   #4
nvladik
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks, glad you like it. I didn't expect the wood to be so massive, but still I am happy about the outcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaethetic View Post
That's a great looking hardscape! Very nice start.
NIKON pimp #017
Sump pimp #014
Old 02-20-2012, 12:09 AM   #5
2in10
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Love the scape, it is always amazing how large the wood looks when in the tank yet how small outside of it. Are you looking to add more species of plants or just waiting for the one you have to fill in?
2in10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2012, 12:47 AM   #6
nvladik
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2in10 View Post
Love the scape, it is always amazing how large the wood looks when in the tank yet how small outside of it. Are you looking to add more species of plants or just waiting for the one you have to fill in?
Thanks. I am planning t add more plants for sure. Want the front of the plant to grow in red, and thinking of adding giant hair grass all over the back wall. Some low growing plants/moss to fill in the front sides, and would like 3 - 4 Eros Japan, but not at 30 a piece.

I do welcome suggestions, as I am still planning this out.
NIKON pimp #017
Sump pimp #014
Old 02-20-2012, 05:21 PM   #7
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)

Wondering with the plumbing in this configuration how flow is created through the UV unit? Are you tuning down the flow from the weir drains with ball valves between the tank and the sump?
2-75g planted, 5-55g planted, 5-20g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 8-10g, Refugium, doghouse/newbie
2012 update adding table top pleco pans & a 90g (Nutz)
wkndracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2012, 06:22 PM   #8
nvladik
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkndracer View Post
Wondering with the plumbing in this configuration how flow is created through the UV unit? Are you tuning down the flow from the weir drains with ball valves between the tank and the sump?
From the return pump, I split the flow. 50% to the UV and 50% straight up. Trying to lower the flow through the UV to kill more bacteria, algae, etc.
NIKON pimp #017
Sump pimp #014
Old 02-21-2012, 12:50 AM   #9
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvladik View Post
From the return pump, I split the flow. 50% to the UV and 50% straight up. Trying to lower the flow through the UV to kill more bacteria, algae, etc.
I don't believe that's what will happen. Unless you created some flow restriction between the tee's connecting the sterilizer (like a restriction plate to reduce the pipe ID) little if any water will follow the flow path through it. Flow follows the path of least resistance.

Adding a ball valve as you did between the tank and the sump on the drains this could work. As it appears in the photo little if any water will travel though sterilizer. Changing flow path through the four 90's created and the added piping doesn't present any advantage to flow. A more tortured path is presented. Without a pressure differential, less flow restriction on the longer run flow will stall in that longer piping leg. The water will travel straight up the pipe. Actually been here trying something similar in the past.

hth
2-75g planted, 5-55g planted, 5-20g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 8-10g, Refugium, doghouse/newbie
Old 02-21-2012, 02:06 PM   #10
nvladik
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Interesting, and I was a bit concerned about it, but it did clear out my tank in one night, so I am thinking some water is getting through it.

Quote:
I don't believe that's what will happen. Unless you created some flow restriction between the tee's connecting the sterilizer (like a restriction plate to reduce the pipe ID) little if any water will follow the flow path through it. Flow follows the path of least resistance.
Thought about restriction in that gap between two t's. I am thinking either throw in a flow restricter in there, or, just put in caps and let everything go through UV.

Quote:
Adding a ball valve as you did between the tank and the sump on the drains this could work. As it appears in the photo little if any water will travel though sterilizer. Changing flow path through the four 90's created and the added piping doesn't present any advantage to flow. A more tortured path is presented. Without a pressure differential, less flow restriction on the longer run flow will stall in that longer piping leg. The water will travel straight up the pipe. Actually been here trying something similar in the past.
My thinking was the much greater room inside the UV housing (and thus less pressure) will compensate for the 4 90's. It's run by a Mag 12, 3/4 piping and stop valve should create enough pressure for it to use every possible space. And the UV itself is only slightly warm, I think it would be much warmer if water wasn't passing through it, right?

Appreciate the feedback wkndracer.
NIKON pimp #017
Sump pimp #014
Old 02-21-2012, 03:04 PM   #11
Svynx
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvladik View Post
Interesting, and I was a bit concerned about it, but it did clear out my tank in one night, so I am thinking some water is getting through it.

Thought about restriction in that gap between two t's. I am thinking either throw in a flow restricter in there, or, just put in caps and let everything go through UV.

My thinking was the much greater room inside the UV housing (and thus less pressure) will compensate for the 4 90's. It's run by a Mag 12, 3/4 piping and stop valve should create enough pressure for it to use every possible space. And the UV itself is only slightly warm, I think it would be much warmer if water wasn't passing through it, right?

Appreciate the feedback wkndracer.
Not so. Since water is such a great thermo conductor, you could have very little flow going through the UV and still get some cooling properties. I'm sure you have a valve on the Mag 12, but even with one, there is a good amount of flow. That cooler water going past the two tees is quickly replaced by new, cool water, which helps keep the temp of the UV down. When I built my reef tank with sump, I first started it with a UV system. I went the easy way, but my first plan was to do something very similar to your setup. Right now you are pretty much cooking the water that is in the filter. The water really isn't moving (yes, there is an exchange, but nothing that is really usefull). Simplest solution: put a gate valve (much better than a ball valve) between the two tees that go to the UV. That will solve the flow problem. And, while you are at it, add valves before and after the Mag and UV filter. That will let you take the pump and filter out for maintenance or replacement without having to drain your system.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:25 PM   #12
nvladik
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svynx View Post
Not so. Since water is such a great thermo conductor, you could have very little flow going through the UV and still get some cooling properties. I'm sure you have a valve on the Mag 12, but even with one, there is a good amount of flow. That cooler water going past the two tees is quickly replaced by new, cool water, which helps keep the temp of the UV down. When I built my reef tank with sump, I first started it with a UV system. I went the easy way, but my first plan was to do something very similar to your setup. Right now you are pretty much cooking the water that is in the filter. The water really isn't moving (yes, there is an exchange, but nothing that is really usefull). Simplest solution: put a gate valve (much better than a ball valve) between the two tees that go to the UV. That will solve the flow problem. And, while you are at it, add valves before and after the Mag and UV filter. That will let you take the pump and filter out for maintenance or replacement without having to drain your system.
Sounds like everyone agree's this is not optimal. Found this gate valve, what do you guys think: http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/KBI-Gate-Valve-4EMJ3. Any other suggestions for the valve? Some obvious choices like Spears are too big, I need inlet to outlet distance to be a little over 2".

As far as maintenance, no worries there. Unions are all over the place and check valve prevents back flow. I will be adding a ball valve between the check valve and tank soon, but no need for it yet as I am not taking everything apart any time soon.
NIKON pimp #017
Sump pimp #014
Old 02-21-2012, 03:50 PM   #13
Svynx
Algae Grower

Word from experience: do not trust check valves. Period. They work well when new, and all goes down hill from there. Use, small particals, substrate, plant material...all can damage or get stuck inside, rendering the valve useless.

You say you are not going to take things apart for a long time. I said that too. Since you have to shut things down and drain some water to put the gate valve in for the UV (the one you are looking at is good), do yourself a favor and do the rest as well. One time and done. You will thank me in a week when you need to do something.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:28 PM   #14
nvladik
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Point heard, researching more valves.
NIKON pimp #017
Sump pimp #014
Old 02-21-2012, 05:30 PM   #15
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

Looks like you have it covered now.
(imo) Being made of PVC and Polypropylene neither valve (ball or gate) will last any longer in service but the gate will provide a better adjustment range.
Feeling any heat at all through the housing on the UV unit flow is stalled out for sure.

and a big +1 on not trusting checkvalves. Create vacuum breaks (holes) on the return side above the drained weir level to stop the backfeed a syphon can cause when the power is off.

think you'll have a great setup when you finish tweaking things.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.