ext5000 - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 03-01-2012, 10:48 PM   #31
inkslinger
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booger View Post
the bubbles are coming out faster than I can count. PH is around 6 usually with my soft water. No trouble getting more CO2 in .
So that been said having a longer canister does work for a faster flowing
filter , WoW an Eheim2262 filter in a 65g tank.

inkslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2012, 11:31 PM   #32
Craigthor
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)

Makes me want to retro the EXT5000 with the longer cannister body. Bet I could elave everything else as it and just extend the PVC tube in the center. Thinking about getting a couple of the 20" cannisters to test out.

Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
Craigthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:14 AM   #33
inkslinger
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigthor View Post
Makes me want to retro the EXT5000 with the longer cannister body. Bet I could elave everything else as it and just extend the PVC tube in the center. Thinking about getting a couple of the 20" cannisters to test out.

Craig
Was thinking the same thing just add a 1in coupler and extend the pvc, but wounder if you can get way with loosing that cordgrip to slide the cord down more if it will cause it to leak or just order a new one :

http://www.heyco.com/Liquid_Tight_Cordgrips/

Let me know how you make out with it. I send Aquariumplant.com an email yesterday and will give them a call some time next week to ask if he found a solution .

I do believe he brush me off !!!
Old 03-02-2012, 12:17 AM   #34
Craigthor
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkslinger View Post
Was thinking the same thing just add a 1in coupler and extend the pvc but wounder if you can get way with loosing that cord gripe to slide the cord down more will cause it to leak?
Let me know how you make out with it. I send Aquariumplant.com an email yesterday and will give them a call some time next week to ask if he found a solution .
I think he brush me off!!!
Honestly I don't think extending the pump down further should really be needed as long as I can fit it in the cannister. The pump is just for breaking the bubbles up that sit at the top of the chamber.

Craig

Quote:
Old 03-02-2012, 04:19 AM   #35
inkslinger
Wannabe Guru

So doing away with the pump and sponge or just extending the pvc fuhrer down ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigthor View Post
Honestly I don't think extending the pump down further should really be needed as long as I can fit it in the cannister. The pump is just for breaking the bubbles up that sit at the top of the chamber.

Craig
Old 03-08-2012, 03:37 AM   #36
inkslinger
Wannabe Guru

Will I called 2 weeks later and sadly Tec service from
AquariumPlant.com could not help me in any way. They said they use 1 ext5000 on each of there 1000g tanks they have with no problem , No bubbles get blown out into the tank and it drops there PH down fast. They sell the Eheim 2262 for a long time {it's where I bought mine from but he he did not know that the 2262 uses a 900gph pump?}
Will he said that I should try to lower the flow some how or add a Wye and have 2 returns he told me that they run there co2 at 1 to 2 bubbles per second on there 1000g tanks! and there regulator output psi is set at 15psi. And if I find the problem that I have and fix it to let him know what I did? He said a longer 20inch canister would not correct the bubbles getting blown out into the tank.
He also said they have never had any complaint of this co2 reactor?

Old 03-08-2012, 07:56 AM   #37
Booger
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (27/100%)

Bottom line is that a standard sized canister won't work for a high flow, high CO2 setup. Come on, you can tell just by looking at the thing! Go big or go home .

Booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:23 PM   #38
inkslinger
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booger View Post
Bottom line is that a standard sized canister won't work for a high flow, high CO2 setup. Come on, you can tell just by looking at the thing! Go big or go home .

That's Right!! He said the bigger filters were too costly
that they would have to charge over $200. ea. for them.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:31 AM   #39
brooklynfishman
Planted Member

PTrader: (13/100%)

Glad i saw this post. I have a 125 and I am having the same problem!!!

I am finding that I have to open up the bps dial ALL the way open with the PSI set VERY VERY high like more than half way (cant remember the numbers off hand as I am at work now).

Anyway, I am getting tons of bubbles and burping in the tank. Forgot to mention that the reactor is running off an Eheim Pro 3 2180, 450 gph.

So I take the bottom line is either a bigger canister or a T valve for a double return?

I too wrote several emails to aquariumplants.com and never got a response. Wonder what happened, they used to be pretty good.
brooklynfishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:30 AM   #40
inkslinger
Wannabe Guru

Mark from Tec Support told me that this reactor is suppose to have 15psi of co2 to work proper and 1-2 bubbles per second for a 1000g tank? WTF! I drop my pressure and bubble count down to 3bps just to tried
out his idea, no dice still had fewer bubbles and my plants were not even
pearling had to up the count and bite my tongue on the micro bubbles flowing around my tank. Just until I can pick up a 20inch filter to replace this.
Butbrooklyfishman I do believe that you might need to add a ball valve at the reactor to lower the flow a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynfishman View Post
Glad i saw this post. I have a 125 and I am having the same problem!!!

I am finding that I have to open up the bps dial ALL the way open with the PSI set VERY VERY high like more than half way (cant remember the numbers off hand as I am at work now).

Anyway, I am getting tons of bubbles and burping in the tank. Forgot to mention that the reactor is running off an Eheim Pro 3 2180, 450 gph.

So I take the bottom line is either a bigger canister or a T valve for a double return?

I too wrote several emails to aquariumplants.com and never got a response. Wonder what happened, they used to be pretty good.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:03 PM   #41
Jim_PA
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Mark from Tec Support told me that this reactor is suppose to have 15psi of co2 to work proper and 1-2 bubbles per second for a 1000g tank? WTF! I drop my pressure and bubble count down to 3bps just to tried
out his idea, no dice still had fewer bubbles and my plants were not even
pearling had to up the count and bite my tongue on the micro bubbles flowing around my tank. Just until I can pick up a 20inch filter to replace this.
Butbrooklyfishman I do believe that you might need to add a ball valve at the reactor to lower the flow a little.

Same problem with mine. I have it setup off of a Y, and it own line back to my primary return line. The other thing I noticed the way I have it setup, about only half the filter fills up with water, is that normal? Or should the entire thing be full? In order to get enough CO2 into the tank, I had to bypass my CO2 controler. PH is down to about 6.2 right now, way less than I like to keep it.
Jim_PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:20 PM   #42
inkslinger
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_PA View Post
Same problem with mine. I have it setup off of a Y, and it own line back to my primary return line. The other thing I noticed the way I have it setup, about only half the filter fills up with water, is that normal? Or should the entire thing be full? In order to get enough CO2 into the tank, I had to bypass my CO2 controler. PH is down to about 6.2 right now, way less than I like to keep it.
Jim I do think that it should be full but I also think that you should have 2 returns . I had problems last year with a high pressure pump causing heat friction, my temps were hitting in the 90F's . I had a "Y" before an after my filter and co2 and back to one return. And years ago I use a close loop for my co2 and a filter running on one end and co2 on the other end , my plants grew better where the co2 was coming out?
Old 03-09-2012, 06:44 PM   #43
Jim_PA
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Jim I do think that it should be full but I also think that you should have 2 returns . I had problems last year with a high pressure pump causing heat friction, my temps were hitting in the 90F's . I had a "Y" before an after my filter and co2 and back to one return. And years ago I use a close loop for my co2 and a filter running on one end and co2 on the other end , my plants grew better where the co2 was coming out?
I have not noticed heat friction or high temps. This is crude layout of the way it setup now. Do you suggest I change it? If so what should be changed?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CO2.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	43757  

Jim_PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 12:00 AM   #44
Deahttub
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

So whos gonna order the 20" canister first and see if it works?
Deahttub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 12:01 AM   #45
Craigthor
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deahttub View Post
So whos gonna order the 20" canister first and see if it works?
I probably will in a week or 2.

Quote: