ext5000 - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 02-25-2012, 10:23 AM   #16
Jim_PA
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigthor View Post
To make it easy I would jsut run the reactor and UV on the maxijet.

I knew you were going to say that, the flow rate only 247 gph though with the 900. Do you think that would be enough? My UV is external, I was going to put the 900 in the sump on one end, and have it return on the other end of the sump. If I did add the reactor, where would I have it return, I assume in the sump as well?
Jim_PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2012, 10:24 AM   #17
Jim_PA
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkslinger View Post
IMO: I thinks is got to have a longer canister {20inch long} and a a little stiffer sponge to able to hold shape when the faster flow hit's it {I notice that the sponge that came with collapse where the flow hit's it and that's where the co2 collects and goes out into the tank} I've called tec support at http://www.aquariumplants.com/ and ask if a longer could be order , He said he will let me know if it could or if he can find another way for this to work for a faster pump flow.
So crossing fingers and toe's!!
Please let me know what happens with this, as I am having the same problem. It a great reactor, just high flow seems to have a problem with.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:11 AM   #18
inkslinger
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Was just going to post on your thread Jim PA.
Will post the out come if it takes weeks to hear from them. If I get a chance I would like to replace the sponge with a more stronger one and see if it helps a little .
inkslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:53 PM   #19
Craigthor
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)

Just curious if you heard anything back from them yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
Craigthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:27 PM   #20
Jim_PA
Wannabe Guru

Mine from aquarium plants dot com. The person I talked with said it would be fine with my mag18

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Old 02-29-2012, 06:46 PM   #21
inkslinger
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Just curious if you heard anything back from them yet?
No not yet! I hope he did not brush me off!!
It was just last week thou.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:26 PM   #22
Booger
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (27/100%)

I have an Eheim 2262 and built a reactor out of this monster housing, a couple ball valves, a 1/8" mpt 3/16" brass barb (I drilled and tapped), and a little pvc.

Pro tip: There is no CPVC that forms a perfect slip fit like with the smaller canisters. I gently heated a sch. 40 pvc coupling with a heat gun until it was pliable enough to stretch over the housing output and then ran a bead of thick pvc glue around where the 2 pieces mate for good measure. Then glue a ~14" length of pvc into the other end of the pvc coupling.

It was expensive and I still had to build it, but it works well. No air injectors, extra pumps, noise, mist, escaping bubbles, or flow robbing media. Only caveat is that it will tend to air lock after you first prime it (you know, since it doesn't let any air escape). I carefully crack the union ball valve open on the input to bleed it.
Booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:03 PM   #23
Craigthor
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booger View Post
I have an Eheim 2262 and built a reactor out of this monster housing, a couple ball valves, a 1/8" mpt 3/16" brass barb (I drilled and tapped), and a little pvc.

Pro tip: There is no CPVC that forms a perfect slip fit like with the smaller canisters. I gently heated a sch. 40 pvc coupling with a heat gun until it was pliable enough to stretch over the housing output and then ran a bead of thick pvc glue around where the 2 pieces mate for good measure. Then glue a ~14" length of pvc into the other end of the pvc coupling.

It was expensive and I still had to build it, but it works well. No air injectors, extra pumps, noise, mist, escaping bubbles, or flow robbing media. Only caveat is that it will tend to air lock after you first prime it (you know, since it doesn't let any air escape). I carefully crack the union ball valve open on the input to bleed it.
Yep that is almost identical to the Pentek one I posted about earlier. The Pentek is about $50 for the setup.

Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
Craigthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:10 PM   #24
Booger
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Yep that is almost identical to the Pentek one I posted about earlier. The Pentek is about $50 for the setup.

Craig

Yeah the one I used has larger fittings (1" vs. 0.75") and has a larger diameter (7.25" vs. 5.375") housing. I went for the bigger one because I like to think it flows better, but I can't really say for sure if that's true and by how much.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:28 AM   #25
inkslinger
Wannabe Guru

Booger do you get 100% diffusion any bubbles escape into you tank?
Old 03-01-2012, 04:35 AM   #26
Jim_PA
Wannabe Guru

Quote:

I will let you know how mine works out on my new tank, I plan to startup this weekend. Soon I figure out where to put it, funny 6 foot stand fills up fast with sump under it. Don't think I left enough room. Any idea where to find new pot scrubber that fits? I looked at several dollar stores today, with no luck.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:02 AM   #27
Booger
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:

My dislike for bubbles/mist shooting out of filter outputs is a big reason why I built this thing. My reactor is undefeated. Not a single bubble of any size has ever escaped its jaws. The smallest microbubbles still only make it about halfway down the housing before they are completely dissolved.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:08 AM   #28
Booger
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_PA View Post
I will let you know how mine works out on my new tank, I plan to startup this weekend. Soon I figure out where to put it, funny 6 foot stand fills up fast with sump under it. Don't think I left enough room. Any idea where to find new pot scrubber that fits? I looked at several dollar stores today, with no luck.

A pot scrubber for the reactor? If you use a big housing, you can and should skip the pot scrubber. It's only going to rob flow and get gunked up.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:57 PM   #29
inkslinger
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booger View Post
My dislike for bubbles/mist shooting out of filter outputs is a big reason why I built this thing. My reactor is undefeated. Not a single bubble of any size has ever escaped its jaws. The smallest microbubbles still only make it about halfway down the housing before they are completely dissolved.
May I ask what size is your tank and how fast is your co2 , are you running into it the reactor? and what is your PH or Drop Checker reading at.
As long as I had my DC I don't think I ever saw it hit green and never saw yellow colors, even when I had a fast stream of co2 bubbles coming out of the bubble counter.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:19 PM   #30
Booger
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
May I ask what size is your tank and how fast is your co2 , are you running into it the reactor? and what is your PH or Drop Checker reading at.
As long as I had my DC I don't think I ever saw it hit green and never saw yellow colors, even when I had a fast stream of co2 bubbles coming out of the bubble counter.

Tank is ~65 gallons and CO2 is... a lot (to compensate for 2x 150 watt halides), so the bubbles are coming out faster than I can count. PH is around 6 usually with my soft water. No trouble getting more CO2 in the water than any fish can tolerate. Ask me how I know .