ext5000 - Page 12
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 10-17-2012, 10:16 PM   #166
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

How much water is going through your reactor? My 12"x2" reactor could handle 200gph and the 20" cerges can handle somewhat less than 500gph without too many bubbles escaping. Perhaps you could split the return to reduce the load on the reactor?

Old 10-18-2012, 01:54 AM   #167
mcaquatic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkslinger View Post
Will I finely finish my reactor , I got too say this works great with my Eheim 2262 filter. I have a 3in x 1in suction screen on a 1in pvc then I added bio mini balls and fill it to the rim, It dissolves all my co2 and am able to run my bubble count way less than when I had the ext 5000 reactor , no bubbles being blown into my 110g tank and it's so quit.
The pic shows how big the reactor is to the ext 5000 and I use a 5/8in tee from aqua medic for my co2 and with the bleed valve on the filter makes filling with water a breeze so far a 10lb co2 tank last me 6 months with the ext 5000 reactor, I hope with this new set-up I can get at least another 2 months

thinking about trying to make one. What is the bleed valve you used? I want to look a little more into this.
mcaquatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:27 AM   #168
isellcars
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyy View Post
How much water is going through your reactor? My 12"x2" reactor could handle 200gph and the 20" cerges can handle somewhat less than 500gph without too many bubbles escaping. Perhaps you could split the return to reduce the load on the reactor?
I have between 800-900 gph. I am going to try your idea and do the split on the return and see how that works. I will also put a valve on the side that is not going to reactor and play with that.
I have to first get more co2 since my 5# tank only lasted 7 weeks.
isellcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 02:59 AM   #169
inkslinger
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcaquatic View Post
thinking about trying to make one. What is the bleed valve you used? I want to look a little more into this.
The Bleed Valve is the button that is on top of the House filter, some people
will remove this and use it as there point of co2 input, I left my intact it makes filling the reactor up fast when my filter is full of water and the return is under water.
Jim got a pic of your sump set-up, was thinking of similar set-up for a big 180g tank. Will be breaking down my tank by the end of this month for our big move to our new house.
inkslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:08 AM   #170
inkslinger
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyy View Post
My first 12"x2" reactor I had a mag 5 500gph pump in a close loop with uv light and heater , I could have push a mag 7 IMO, and the 20" cerges I have my Eheim 2262 filter pushing 900gph {it might be less gph with the media in the filter} I would like to see if it works with my Nu-Clear 533 an 547 filter with a Blue Line 55HD 1100gph pressure pump that I have laying around.
inkslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 04:47 AM   #171
m00se
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

The pressure at the meter valve is irrelevant as long as it can handle the 1-10 bps we usually use in these reactors. I run 10 PSI on mine. Sounds like this guy is blowing smoke up your you-know-what with running 1000 gallon tanks on one, IMO.

The trick is to get the longest water dwell in the reactor without collecting excess CO2 in the top of the chamber, making noise and wasting CO2. This can be achieved with a ball valve on the output to choke back flow or a bypass if you run inline with your canister. I have played with the idea of making an accordion style box with baffles that require the water to change direction several times during it's route assuring that the gas has time and ample surface area to mix.

m00se is offline   Reply With Quote