ext5000 - Page 11
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 06-13-2012, 01:11 PM   #151
Jim_PA
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

Thanks for the info. Where did you put the screen?
Jim_PA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2012, 12:11 AM   #152
inkslinger
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I cut a 1" pvc pipe to 16.25" added a 1" coupling and screw on the suction screen . I cut the end off so it will fit over the center ring of the filter, that's on the bottom of the filter canister. I sanded the other end to fit snug to the top of the filter.
inkslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2012, 01:37 PM   #153
Jim_PA
Wannabe Guru

Thanks for the info. I added bunch more bio - balls to my reactor this weekend, and it really helped. I now have the reactor about half full of bio - balls.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:15 PM   #154
inkslinger
Wannabe Guru

Just for the heck of it I'm painting my center pvc with black paint. I'm still looking for my bag of mini bio balls . I'm able to push my bio ball's threw the 1" port with the head cap on the canister before I hook it up on line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_PA View Post
Thanks for the info. I added bunch more bio - balls to my reactor this weekend, and it really helped. I now have the reactor about half full of bio - balls.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:09 AM   #155
inkslinger
Wannabe Guru

Will I found my bag of bio balls and I filled my container to see how much I will need.
Maybe this weekend I will take pic's before placing it on line, The filter is so big that
I don't have room to use the mounting plate that came with it , got to use some bungee
cords or some thing to hold it up. My stand is like 30"-36" inside.

I'm not too much in a hurry , I'm going to break down my tank around the end of Aug. to move into our new house , But I got to know if this project really work out with a high flow pump of 900gph . I think it will slow the flow just a tad with the bio balls but I hope I get 100% of my co2 defuse with a high bubble count!
Old 06-26-2012, 10:23 PM   #156
Craigthor
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)

Wondering how you guys are liking this big reactor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
Craigthor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2012, 05:25 AM   #157
inkslinger
Wannabe Guru

I still haven set it up yet ! I got it all put to together , I've got the 1" ports and used
reducers to 5/8" Eheim hose . I like the size it's B I G!! I have a 36" high stand and I
can't mount it underneath . I'm going to use bungee cords or straps to secure it . The
Eheim 2262 filter will hold it up some the house filter sits just a tad higher from the pump.
The inside is like 5 1/2" round .
Old 07-07-2012, 06:59 AM   #158
inkslinger
Wannabe Guru

Will I finely set up my filter and only took 10min to replace the ext 5000 reactor that I had in the first place , with my Eheim 2262 filter pumping at 900gph it is so quite and my co2 at 3bps I drop from 8.7 to 7.3 in 2hr for a 110g tank. Well post pic's soon of my new set-up.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:20 AM   #159
inkslinger
Wannabe Guru

Will I finely finish my reactor , I got too say this works great with my Eheim 2262 filter. I have a 3in x 1in suction screen on a 1in pvc then I added bio mini balls and fill it to the rim, It dissolves all my co2 and am able to run my bubble count way less than when I had the ext 5000 reactor , no bubbles being blown into my 110g tank and it's so quit.
The pic shows how big the reactor is to the ext 5000 and I use a 5/8in tee from aqua medic for my co2 and with the bleed valve on the filter makes filling with water a breeze so far a 10lb co2 tank last me 6 months with the ext 5000 reactor, I hope with this new set-up I can get at least another 2 months
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0001.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	50636  

Name:	DSC_0002.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	50637  

Name:	DSC_0004.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	50638  

Old 07-24-2012, 05:12 PM   #160
inkslinger
Wannabe Guru

Will with this hot weather I'm thinking of removing my elbow with heater an go straight out to the tank, The tempt in the tank stays about 2* below room temp all the time. So far the system is working great , I get 100% diffusion in my 110g tank , just got to add some
little flow with power head.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:44 AM   #161
inkslinger
Wannabe Guru

Will so far this set-up has been great at dissolving all my co2 100% and I am running less co2 at this time and it's keeping my Drop Checkers on both end of the 60x18x24 inch tank green every day. I'll say this is the best set-up I ever had.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:07 AM   #162
Jim_PA
Wannabe Guru

Glad to hear it working well for you. Mine been working great as well. It needs a good cleaning though. I am thinking about doing that this weekend, not really looking forward to moving that monster from under my stand.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:07 PM   #163
isellcars
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Jim_PA do you just have one return going back into your tank from your sump? Mine is like that and I have a 900gph pump and for some reason can't get the co2 to dissolve in the water at all. I have a 20" Rex Griggs reactor and not sure if its to much water pressure.
I'm asking you cause you seem to be the only other one in here that has a planted tank with a sump.
isellcars is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2012, 05:32 AM   #164
Jim_PA
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by isellcars View Post
Jim_PA do you just have one return going back into your tank from your sump? Mine is like that and I have a 900gph pump and for some reason can't get the co2 to dissolve in the water at all. I have a 20" Rex Griggs reactor and not sure if its to much water pressure.
I'm asking you cause you seem to be the only other one in here that has a planted tank with a sump.
Hi isellcars,
I have dual overflow on my tank, so I have 2 returns, one in each corner.

As for my plumbing; from the return pump in the sump, it goes to my reactor, from the reactor it goes into a Y, that then goes to each return. I am running MAG 18 (1800 GPH). I am using flex PVC for all my plumbing, also not using any 90's. All my plumbing is 1 inch. I don't have the MAG18 turned down at all so I am getting fair amount of turnover, also have my UV split from the MAG18, but that has a gatevalve to control flow. Assume you have PVC running from top to the bottom of your reactor? Inside of it?

As to help off gas of CO2, I have my sump covered with plexi glass, as for my overflows, I am running durso standpipe on each, and have some poret foam to help with the splash.

When you say it won't dissolve, do you mean your seeing the tiny & large bubbles in your tank, or that your drop checker won't turn green?

I had a problem with both at first, I filled my reactor up with a bunch of bio-balls real small ones, maybe half full with no water in it, and that helped with seeing large and most of the small bubbles in the tank.

If your drop checker won't turn green color, I had a lot of problems with that as well. It took a lot of adjustments to CO2, to get right balance. I cannot count the bubbles in my bubble counter. I have given up with that, and just adjust it to my drop checker is the right color.

Sorry this is so long, way more info than you wanted I am sure, but I figured I would give you full details of the setup.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:14 PM   #165
isellcars
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

My reactor is basically a 2" PVC pipe that has water going in on top and out on the bottom. My co2 goes into the pipe about 3" from the top. I was told this is the best way to breakup and dissolve the co2 into the water. Instead I get really big bubbles entering my tank.
I just have the single return in the middle of the tank and wasn't sure if I just had to much water pressure. I gave up on the bubble counter weeks ago since it is just a constant stream. But the DC barely ever changes color....more so a blue/green color.
Really starting to drive me crazy. I thought the sump set up with a filter sock would be the best way to go but not sure so far.
isellcars is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.