flourite dust, safe? flora-max, should it be rinsed?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 02-16-2012, 01:32 AM   #1
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)

flourite dust, safe? flora-max, should it be rinsed?

If i were to replace the flourite w/ flora-max, should i remove the fish first? or would it be ok to scoop the flourite out w/ the fish still in the tank?

and is flora-max a very cloudy substrate, like flourite, and should i rinse it first?
scapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2012, 01:45 AM   #2
freph
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)

I'd take the fish out first just to be on the safe side. If the instructions say rinse, then rinse (and their website does say it's pre-rinsed but a rinsing is recommended). I think the cloudiness is just from too much substrate disturbance while filling. Be very careful with filling and make sure it's not agitating the substrate.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:31 AM   #3
Jacob928
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)

Yeah i would take the fish out. They'd be pretty stressed if you just slowly destroyed their habitat before their very eyes! lol. And i dont have any experience with that substrate, but i don't think anything could be as cloudy as flourite.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:54 AM   #4
DMtankd
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)

I've definitely stirred up some pretty serious flourite clouds during re-scapes and never lost a fish, but you would definitely want to take them out for a complete redo. First to avoid any accidental trauma while your digging around in there. Second, you're pretty like to have the tank re-cycle if you take out all of the substrate (that's where a large part of your beneficial bacteria live) and replace with new, uncycled substrate. So, you should take the fish out and keep them out until you can make sure your ammonia/nitrite levels won't spike.

Out of curiosity, why are you bothering to swap? I've not used floramax, but from what I can tell, flourite and floramax are pretty similar.
DMtankd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2012, 03:12 AM   #5
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMtankd View Post
Out of curiosity, why are you bothering to swap? I've not used floramax, but from what I can tell, flourite and floramax are pretty similar.
i've got flourite red in there now. it's the larger brown/red granules. I thought i'd like the look of it, and i just don't. it's also horribly dusty. anytime i clip plants or move plants it kicks up a dust storm that only settles on everything... i hate it.

the floramax i purchased is the smaller black granules. i'll probably rinse it out well first.
scapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.