One of my angelfish beat up the other, why?????
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 02-15-2012, 04:02 AM   #1
Imaginary1226
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

One of my angelfish beat up the other, why?????

I have had these angelfish for a pretty long time, at least a year. They were bigger when I got them they are about 4x5 now, pretty much the same size. They are in a 50 gallon with some peaceful fish and they have been fine and gotten along great until yesterday. They are siblings after all. The one was harassing and chasing the other one all over the place, I didn't think much of it until now right after feeding them and seeing the damage inflicted. he has scales missing all over the place and his fins are all shredded. He isn't looking so great....what should I do? I am not sure if it was a breeding attempt that didn't go well or if they are both males or what? Any ideas? I haven't had adult angels before so I am not sure what their behaviors are or how to classify this incident. Should I take him out of the tank or what?
Imaginary1226 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2012, 05:38 AM   #2
LB79
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

That sounds like two males. I would give the one you like least to an LFS. It's usually better to get four or six angels and let them grow out together.

–Boromir, The Lord Of The Rings
LB79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2012, 02:10 PM   #3
Imaginary1226
Planted Tank Obsessed

well I do have 5 smaller ones upstairs.....they are the siblings as well but I got them later and their growth was stunted. long story. I will.remove one if the males and put in the other angels and see what happens.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:28 PM   #4
MochaLatte
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)

Get it out now. If you wait to long it might not be a very pretty outcome. I had a breeding pair fighting recently and I had to put them back in with my angel community. Now they are no longer fighting. Could you take the bully out and put it where the smaller angels are and put the smaller angel in the 55 with the beat up angel? Just make sure to keep the water crystal cleat and super clean to prevent infection.
MochaLatte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2012, 03:55 PM   #5
Rich Conley
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaginary1226 View Post
They are siblings after all.
This means absolutely nothing in the animal world.

I don't mean to pick on you here, but shelters/vets/etc have all sorts of problems because people refuse to get animals spayed/neutered because "they're siblings, so we don't need to worry about that." Its a perception that really needs to go away.

And yeah, you're probably gonna need to seperate these fish.
Rich Conley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2012, 04:34 PM   #6
Daximus
Got dirt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Conley View Post
Or West Virginia! (Sorry, I had too, lol)

I think adding a few more angels might help. With just two they seem to have a need to figure out who is the baddest. When you have a herd of them, 5 or 7, this seems to stop. I have 7 of them in my 90. Sure, they have spats and disagreements, but never to an extent that someone gets hurt. I don't know what cause more of them in a tank to chill out the herd...maybe they have A.D.D. This seems to work for me, breeding pairs notwithstanding.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:39 PM   #7
MochaLatte
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)

Once they get of breeding age and start to pair they get cranky though. I have 7 in my 75 gallon. Have 2 breeding pairs and the others can't make up their mind. They all get along peacefully until they spawn.

I have noticed that if you have more than just 2 angels in a tank (providing it's big enough) there are normally less fights. I've had 2 breeding pairs start to fight as it seems they get bored.

What is they size difference between the 2 that are fighting and the 5 smaller ones?
MochaLatte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2012, 04:59 PM   #8
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)

If it's spawning behavior and not just attitudes run wild you should see the tubes extended which is the only way to reliably sex angels. Tubes which appear sharp or pointed on the end like the sharp end of a pencil will be male fish. Tubes which are more cylindrical like the eraser of a pencil are female fish.

Battles causing physical damage have been rare here but I have lost fish. Both times (happened only twice) both were large females causing the damage. Separate the fish removing the aggressor is what I've done. If you have a tank with larger angelfish placing the aggressive one in with it sometimes works to break the behavior.

Fish developing a nasty attitude don't last long here, it learns to calm down or leaves via the ice tea train.

HTH
2-75g planted, 5-55g planted, 5-20g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 8-10g, Refugium, doghouse/newbie
2012 update adding table top pleco pans & a 90g (Nutz)
wkndracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2012, 07:45 PM   #9
SlammedDC2
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)

I haven't had any problem with a larger number of angels. I currently have 11 in a 125g and don't really have more than a little peck here or there. None ever have any visable damage. It seems in the past that the only time I ever see any aggression is when I add new angels and they have to re-establish their pecking order.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:39 PM   #10
Petrie
Algae Grower

I think it all depends on the fish, I've had angelfish community tanks and they've been peacefull and they've also been aggressive. I wouldn't leave a tank alone at the time so the setup was changing alot but theres really no way to know how angelfish are going to react. Things can be going good then one day BAM someones dead because one of the fish got in a bad mood. There usually seams to be a few of them that are more dominant in a tank and maybe that causes the fights. But still I've found fights with my most peacefull angels.

The key really is having somewhere to put angels, either a LFS of another tank.

I've never kept less then 4 in a tank together unless it was a mated pair so I can't advise on what to do with these two, although getting them seperate would be a good idea.
Petrie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2012, 12:19 AM   #11
Imaginary1226
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Conley View Post

I don't mean to pick on you here, but shelters/vets/etc have all sorts of problems because people refuse to get animals spayed/neutered because "they're siblings, so we don't need to worry about that." Its a perception that really needs to go away.

And yeah, you're probably gonna need to seperate these fish.
Really? I am not an idiot. I only mentioned it because they have been together such a long time and this has never happened before....I didn't think they would play nice just because they were related, sorry if that is the impression I gave. Some people are dumb and refuse to get animals in general spayed and neutered, sibling or not. I am not sure how this even applies to my situation at all? Oh but it is a fact that some animals, like horses, do prevent inbreeding amongst themselves. Obviously if I had this perception I wouldn't have posted my problem to begin with, because I am worried....
Old 02-16-2012, 12:23 AM   #12
Imaginary1226
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MochaLatte View Post
Once they get of breeding age and start to pair they get cranky though. I have 7 in my 75 gallon. Have 2 breeding pairs and the others can't make up their mind. They all get along peacefully until they spawn.

I have noticed that if you have more than just 2 angels in a tank (providing it's big enough) there are normally less fights. I've had 2 breeding pairs start to fight as it seems they get bored.

What is they size difference between the 2 that are fighting and the 5 smaller ones?
The two biggest ones are about 4x5 the 5 smaller ones are 3x4 ish I had them in a separate tank in hopes they would get a bit bigger before I put them in with the bigger two. They are much bigger now.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:31 AM   #13
Imaginary1226
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks everyone for your advice. I am not sure if I should put the bully into the 40 gallon tank or the injured one? I would then put the 5 smaller ones in the 50 gallon with the remaining angel. I also remembered something interesting...the day he beat the other angel up I had done a water change earlier. So it is almost like it was water change induced aggression. I mean I know that can trigger fish to spawn but I guess it just made the one really territorial? I am not sure he isn't chasing him around anymore but if they are near each other the bully kinda nips at his side.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.