seachem flourite mineral content....different grades does it matter?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 02-15-2012, 01:50 AM   #1
Geoffrey.Richard
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

seachem flourite mineral content....different grades does it matter?

on the seachem website, they list the mineral composition of their different flourites. http://www.seachem.com/support/Grave...omposition.pdf

Does it really matter much about the differences. I am new to planted tanks and heard iron is really important and see the regular has the highest level.

when I get my 54gal, I'm going to do iwagumi type and I think the regular wouldn't look quite right, but plant health will be important as well. Also wondering about the difference between black sand and the regular black, would the sand tend to compact too much and thus be better to have a layer of regular and then top dress with the sand or would the sand eventually work its way underneath the regular size anyways thus not making a difference. Where they are a bit pricey and I have to order them in (shipping cost concerns) I was just thinking as to what would be the best choice.

one final question, my style is going to have the substrate sloping to the back with hills (a 36*18*20 tank). The calculator said a rather high amount of bags. having not designed a tank other than a flat 1" substrate with no plants, I can't visualize what I should input for inches. the calculator said 6 bags, but in another thread someone thought 5 bags was too much for a 48*18 tank. What would you guys recommend.

thanks for the replies, I tried searching first but didn't really see anything that addressed the differences in mineral content and the choice for iwagumi style and amount.
Geoffrey.Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2012, 02:45 AM   #2
xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

Well from my experiences with flourite, I had the best success with the regular flourite.

As for setting up an Iwagumi tank, I probably wouldn't do it in your case since you're new to the planted tank world. I would set up a regular planted tank, and go with that style until you get use to having a planted tank, and what the requirements of plants can en-tale.

The reason is a lot of Iwagumi tanks are done using ADA aquasoil, and some are done using the dirted tank method. Also Iwagumi setups require good substrates, co2, lighting, EI dosing, and with these it's best to start out with a regular tank setup until you gain the knowledge and experience with planted tanks.

As for doing slopes in a tank, most people tend to go with large rocks under the substrate, or with pantyhose stuffed with aquarium gravel as to give the substrate height. Then they cover them with their substrates and create the down sloping look.
xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 03:09 AM   #3
Geoffrey.Richard
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

it probably won't be fully iwagumi....just I have some really excellent rocks I want to use...so won't be a dutch style, and probably will just be rocks and plants without driftwood. I guess it'll just be a freestyle with plants and rock. but with some sense of order to it.
Geoffrey.Richard is offline   Reply With Quote