New Plants @ Petsmart
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Pennsylvania

Old 06-27-2012, 01:38 AM   #1
Aheartlessfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)

New Plants @ Petsmart

FYI: if anyone is annoyed of me posting these things i find, please let me know i will stop :P
I just thought id share good news with what i find when im at fish stores :P

Petsmart (atleast where i live in harrisburg) is now carrying plants in what looks like air tight vacuumed plants. Why am i sharing this? Because i found some VERY nice looking plants. They come in flat packages that look like the air has been sucked out of the plastic which creates a tight seal (***i could be wrong about the tight seal, i just saw it with my eyes i didnt check the package). The insides look moist cause i can see drops of water on the package. They have swords, Dwarf hair grass, Micro swords, Bocopa. (atleast those are the ones i remembered on top of my head)
The most impressive i thought was the Dwarf Hair grass, they looked VERY healthy. Although you only get about 1" of it, its about 1"x4-6" in package length.

*Package also had a print stating that the plants are "fully submerge able"...how reliable is that? beats me. its petsmart.

Heres the catch: 7.99 i believe it was per package.
I would never pay that much for one because i know i can get it cheaper on this forum. But i was very tempted to grab some DHG and this other plant called "Telanthera Cardinal" which looks like a reddish brown plant.

Just thought id share

*** This is not the plants in the weird cylindrical plastic tubes with water crystals on the bottom*** <--- im pretty sure these plants were grown immersed...i purchased one of their "peacock moss" and that never survived for me, causing me to never buy again.
Aheartlessfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2012, 01:45 AM   #2
Bananariot
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

That's awesome, I wish my petsmart was carrying that stuff. It may be 7.99, but considering how much you could save on shipping, it might be worth it depending on what you're looking for.
Bananariot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:48 AM   #3
CatB
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to CatB Send a message via Skype™ to CatB

yeah, i saw those plants last time i was at my local petsmart too. they're probably carried in most stores now.
CatB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:59 AM   #4
tyger9791

our petsmart used to have a great selection of live plants, then they got rid of the plant tanks. now they have just one narrow end cap of those plants in plastic tubes. they are really expensive and most look nearly dead.
the bags sound like a decent alternative if you don't have a lfs that carries plants....though i'd still rather get plants from a LFS or just have them shipped from a reputable source.
petco has a mix of the plants in tubes and a tank of plants. though the tanks are usually full of non aquatic plants...go figure.
tyger9791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:05 AM   #5
Aheartlessfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

my petco's usually have the WORST selection of plants...all of them look dead and im pretty sure the employees dont know what to do with them.

Petsmart taking away their planted tank (usually its the 4 tanks that pour into each other) was in my opinion one of the dumbest/best things they ever did...

Dumb because i loved buying live plants from them (WAY BEFORE I WAS INTO HIGH TECH and knew nothing about ferts/etc).

And Best because people who go to petsmart never buy their live plants...if they do, they take it home to their crapy setups, plants die and leave a mess, they never buy again. Simply put, it was a loss leader for them (only because they didnt educate their employees on keeping live plants, or anything about fish in general xD...i say this because im an ex petsmart employee)
Old 06-27-2012, 02:16 AM   #6
Walleye
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

I have several of those Peacock Ferns from the tubes from PetSmart. Every week they mark some as 50% off. Some of them look pretty bad, but I got one that looked great and is doing good in my 75 gal which is in DSM. I have since picked up 4 more (all at 50% off) and they are all doing well also
Walleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:17 AM   #7
Zefrik
Wannabe Guru

Huh, I have seen those in my petsmart for about 8 months now. They do look good though. I bought the Dwarf Hair Grass one a long time ago and of course I killed it. :/
Zefrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:32 AM   #8
pwolfe
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

I bought some dwarf hairgrass from one of those vacuum packaged things the op is talking about. They were vibrant green in the packaging and are thriving in my tank. The other plants in this packaging looked equally lush.
pwolfe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:48 AM   #9
Aheartlessfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

oo cool i didnt know they had it for 8 months now...every petsmart is different and changes based on how new and how well the local petsmart does. For my petsmart, which is in a non rich neighborhood we usually get new things last. Although when i worked there we were number 1 in fish sales on the east coast ^^...that was until i left :P

You prob live in a nicer area and prob have a better petsmart...my petsmart is still uses the 20 gallon old ugly acrylic tanks while newer petsmart have nice brand new looking acrylic tank with seperators built in and some tanks that look like they're 40-50 gallons long. Need i say newer petsmart are alot cleaner? :P
Old 06-27-2012, 07:38 AM   #10
DaveK
Planted Tank Enthusiast

At $8 each, you'd be much better off makeing the long trek to something like That Fish Place, or buying from one of the online vendors for your plants.

Psesonally, unless it's a sale I've typically found the big chain stores to be more expensive and of lower quality than most of the LFSs, but that could just be the area I'm in.
DaveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:30 PM   #11
Aheartlessfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

I agree with ya davek they are more expensive. But convenience is key here. For those like me who like to stop by any fish store as long as its near by and check stuff out, im posting this mainly for those who just wanted to "check em out". I never stated it was a good deal :P!! Like i mentioned in the OP i would NEVER pay 8 dollars for these plants haha. But knowing petsmart they will go on sale and drop down to 5 bucks or even lower. THEN you'll be tempted to snag some if your in your local petsmart for 1 dollar fish :P
Old 06-27-2012, 10:21 PM   #12
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleye View Post
I have several of those Peacock Ferns from the tubes from PetSmart. Every week they mark some as 50% off. Some of them look pretty bad, but I got one that looked great and is doing good in my 75 gal which is in DSM. I have since picked up 4 more (all at 50% off) and they are all doing well also
It will look great now that you are growing it emersed in the dsm setup, but after the flood, it will rot and die. Google peacock fern, you'll find all the info on it. I know my local p.s. now has stickers on the peacock fern that say "semi-aquatic".

Tony, you need dhg? I can hook ya up
Fishies_in_Philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:48 AM   #13
dbosman@msu.edu
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Are those the tissue culture plants that some Petsmarts are stocking?
(no snails = some extra value)
dbosman@msu.edu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:12 AM   #14
jeremyTR
Suspended

PTrader: (4/100%)

Just bought some DHG from Petsmart today, not sure why some of you wouldn't buy it at Petsmart... It's only $8. Buying from here you're probably going to pay $7 alone for shipping. I think of that as another pack of DHG I could have bought.

~~~
jeremyTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:20 AM   #15
Aheartlessfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

haha when i buy plants online i always buy in big bundles or trades ftw