Johnson18's 20L Riparium w/Planted HOB ~ New Substrate and layout - Page 13
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 09-01-2013, 02:45 PM   #181
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyLillymama22 View Post
Beautiful tank and doggies! I have two pitties myself.
Hope your crypts come back quickly for you. Sorry to hear about your shrimp.
Always great to find more pittie fans! They are such great dogs!
johnson18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2013, 08:46 PM   #182
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

I added a bunch of Christmas moss to the outflow of the HOB. I decided to start adding more plants to the hob. I layered the moss on top of the existing riccia. On top of the moss I added a few different plant species. Hopefully I'll get some pics in a few days.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:21 AM   #183
newbieplanter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson18 View Post
So here are a few of the set up photos! Sorry for the iPhone pics....it's all I've got.

The CO2 looks like it's getting going!

I'm going to start dosing liquid ferts in the morning!
Sorry I didn't read I was just lookin at tha pics between my daughters b-day party but what substrate did u use?
newbieplanter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:24 AM   #184
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

I've got some fluorite black onyx sand under black diamond with lots of root tabs!
Old 12-05-2013, 03:00 AM   #185
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

I know I've not updated this journal in a few months. I've just been letting this tank do it's own thing. I keep up with top offs & WC, but they aren't super often. At the current moment it's in desperate need of a top off/WC, but my city's main water main broke last week leaving us waterless for a day, brown for a couple days after that. I've been trying to delay adding water to all of my tanks. Haha.

The only inhabitants are a healthy colony of ramshorn snails and a bunch of pond snails which I smash on a regular basis.

I have added some new plants over the last few months, both above and below the waterline.

Well tomorrow is the last day of classes for the fall, so I will be doing work on all my tanks over the next week.... Just thought I'd provide a little teaser for now!

Old 12-05-2013, 04:59 AM   #186
MadRiverPat
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Love the way this tank is looking. Hopefully getting a 20L soon and am definitely planning on going the riparium route. Today was my last day of classes as well and now its time to catch up on forums and do some much needed tank maintenance.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:53 AM   #187
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (141/100%)

Those plants look happy. You should cut that aluminum plant down with a couple nodes at the base and then make a couple more cuttings for rooting with it.
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 04:23 PM   #188
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
Those plants look happy. You should cut that aluminum plant down with a couple nodes at the base and then make a couple more cuttings for rooting with it.
Thanks Devin! I plan on doing a trim sometime in the next week. I've already got the aluminum plant in my sights! After a full summer of blooming the 'Katie' died back, losing almost all of this leaves. It stayed that way for almost two months and has really just started growing well again in the last month.

The black mangrove has finally started growing! it sat there with one set of leaves for months. Now its got probably 3 sets total!
Old 12-05-2013, 04:53 PM   #189
Centromochlus
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (116/100%)

Nice tank! What is the plant with the broad green/blue leaves on the top right side?
Centromochlus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 03:36 PM   #190
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centromochlus View Post
Nice tank! What is the plant with the broad green/blue leaves on the top right side?
I think you're asking about the Pothos, which is growing out of the hob and along the back of the tank. The older leaves are almost solid green. Since I've been using the cfl more of the variegation is appearing.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:30 PM   #191
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

The Pothos doesn't look as blue when I wash the leaves... damn dust!
Old 12-11-2013, 02:18 AM   #192
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

Since the water has been a little low in this tank part of the moss has been out of the water. I realized yesterday that the sporophyte generation was present! Kinda cool!
Old 12-24-2013, 01:58 AM   #193
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

So I have been thinking about rearranging the aquascape of this tank. The Fluval underwater filter stopped functioning about two months ago. I haven't really messed with it to see if I can get it working. Kinda disappointed that it has stopped, as it's not that old!

So what I am thinking about doing is separating the two pieces of wood, moving the larger piece to the opposite side of the tank. This would put this piece in front/under the riparium planters. The smaller piece of wood, which has the A.b. Nana attached, would be placed against the back of the back around the 1/3 point in from the left. I think this hardscape would allow more room to arrange plants in the tank. Doing this would require moving a few crypts but would allow me to leave the C. parva "carpet"(lol) untouched.

I haven't really figured out how I want to rearrange the plants yet. I've got a random selection of stems that I've added over the last few months of replanting my 55. Several species have done better in this tank than my 55.

I've got a few stems of S. repens that are barely surviving in the 55 that I will probably move over to this tank to use as a mid ground plant just behind the parva.

I will go snap a couple pics of this tank right now & add them in a just a minute.
Old 12-24-2013, 02:14 AM   #194
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

The wood is not currently in the position that it has been previously. I adjusted it back a little tonight during a WC after removing the Fluval filter.

And a shot of the tip plants after a recent trim!
Old 12-25-2013, 12:26 AM   #195
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (141/100%)

That's looking good! It looks like your Cyperus has started growing better. If I remember right it was just sitting there for a while.
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buildmyled, hydrophyte, riparium, ripariums, shrimp tanks