"Grass Fields" & "Moss Forests": The 2-3g Shrimp Bowl and Jar
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 04-29-2014, 04:40 PM   #1
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

"Grass Fields" & "Moss Forests": The 2-3g Shrimp Bowl and Jar

Set these two picos up last week and started letting them 'age'/grow in while the filter sponges cycle in my fish active 20g long.

$20 2-3g Bubble Bowl from Michel's
Equipments:
mini sponge filter
Light: x1 6500k 13 wall mini cfl in desk lamp reflector
Substrate: Miricale Gro Organic Potting Mix capped with Black Diamond Blasting "Sand"
HardScape: none
Flora: Blyxa japonica
Lilaeopsis Mauritiana (micro sword narrow leaf)
Echinodorus Tenellus (pigmy chain sword narrow leaf)

Hemianthus Callitrichoides (dwarf baby tears)
Fauna: Cherry, Rili, and wild type Neocaridina Shrimp + ramshorns and MTS

$10 2g Anchor Cookie Jar from Walmart
Equipments:
mini sponge filter
Lights for both: x2 6500k 13 wall mini cfl with aluminum foil reflector in lamp
Substrate: Black Diamond Blasting "Sand"
HardScape: Manzanita branches x4
Flora: Taxiphyllum sp. (peacock moss)
Taxiphyllum Montagnei (christmas moss)
Fauna: Cherry, Rili, and wild type Neocaridina Shrimp + ramshorns and pond/bladder snails

I will probably consolidate updates on my no-tech vase into this thread too since its on the windowsill just above these two.

Setup and extra photos will be in the next post ^^

UPDATE PHOTOS
[7/6/14]

Last edited by AquaAurora; 07-22-2014 at 05:58 PM.. Reason: updating fauna list
AquaAurora is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2014, 04:40 PM   #2
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

Default photo spam!

Bubble Bowl Setup:

Cookie Jar Setup:

Both after some water changes to remove cloudyness:

Last edited by AquaAurora; 04-29-2014 at 05:03 PM.. Reason: added photos
Old 04-29-2014, 05:40 PM   #3
cjstl
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Looks great. Good luck! My last couple of experiments with MGOCPM have turned into tea-colored disasters and endless sources of annoyance to my wife...
cjstl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 05:50 PM   #4
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjstl View Post
Looks great. Good luck! My last couple of experiments with MGOCPM have turned into tea-colored disasters and endless sources of annoyance to my wife...
Thank you ^^
So far no yellow/brown/tea tinting in the bubble bowl, its only slightly cloudy from the "sand". I did an ammonia test the day after to see if it was leaching up bad stuff, got "0ppm" Will test again this week when its been going for 7 days just to make sure.
My less than .5g vase with a argentinaint sowrd (and some floasters) has done well with the MGOPM and a gravel cap. The sword has bounced back nicely it really likes the soil ^^ I only have snails in that tank but haven't noticed tinting in the water yet either (been set up since Feb) I never test that ones water since its just 'pest' snails that can pretty much take a tank nuke.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:04 PM   #5
cjstl
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have salvaged most of the good plants from my 2G bowl. They sure grew well in that brown water under very high light! Now it is just pest snails and thousands of seed shrimp/daphnia. I haven't drained the bowl because I hate to waste the little critters. I tossed an assassin snail in there the other day, and it seems happy. I might drop a few Endler fry in and let them have a buffet for a week or so before I completely tear it down

I just cleaned out my cubus last weekend and am in process of setting it back up with just sand. I might start a journal for that one.
cjstl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:15 PM   #6
Nolan
Algae Grower

The grass field looks great! looks like a taller version of some of the high-tech scapes ive seen lately.

The moss forest is nice too. I think it would look great with a red tiger lotus in the middle though, or some other singular centerpiece plant.
Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:19 PM   #7
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjstl View Post
I have salvaged most of the good plants from my 2G bowl. They sure grew well in that brown water under very high light! Now it is just pest snails and thousands of seed shrimp/daphnia. I haven't drained the bowl because I hate to waste the little critters. I tossed an assassin snail in there the other day, and it seems happy. I might drop a few Endler fry in and let them have a buffet for a week or so before I completely tear it down

I just cleaned out my cubus last weekend and am in process of setting it back up with just sand. I might start a journal for that one.
Look forward to seeing a journal ^^
I have a small cubus too, right now i reserve it as the "drip acclimate tank" for new fauna arrivals (my bucket is too wide so transit water is too shallow in it). I want to try setting it up with a riparium plant (don't know what yet) and some semi submergsed/emersed mosses since i have leftover from this setup.
I'm actually trying to kick off a few live food cultures, I bought blackworms but got "giant" daphnia, and "wild type" Neos thrown in by surprise. I also have mts, pond, and ramshorn snails I'm working to bring up #s of all for future dwarf puffer food.. might share the dalphina and black worms with the other fish if the cultures grows big enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolan View Post
The grass field looks great! looks like a taller version of some of the high-tech scapes ive seen lately.

The moss forest is nice too. I think it would look great with a red tiger lotus in the middle though, or some other singular centerpiece plant.
Thank you ^^I look forward to seeing both grow in. I'm hoping the moss one will just become a dense mess eventually (many many months down the road) so there won't be a lot of room for a centerpiece plant. I do actually have a dwarf tiger lotus that if I added it to the jar I'd want to stuff soil under it... buuut I don't want to rip out and redo the tank for that (I'm lazy XP) I was trying to aim towards the jar looking like a cut out from a dense forest canopy where the branches are all covered in moss.

Last edited by AquaAurora; 04-29-2014 at 06:26 PM.. Reason: added quote/responce
Old 04-29-2014, 06:35 PM   #8
Nolan
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
Thank you ^^I look forward to seeing both grow in. I'm hoping the moss one will just become a dense mess eventually (many many months down the road) so there won't be a lot of room for a centerpiece plant. I do actually have a dwarf tiger lotus that if I added it to the jar I'd want to stuff soil under it... buuut I don't want to rip out and redo the tank for that (I'm lazy XP) I was trying to aim towards the jar looking like a cut out from a dense forest canopy where the branches are all covered in moss.

Sounds good.

I have pulled up a lotus from a dirted tank before, and never will again unless planning to rescape. The root system rivals that of my amazon swords!

I subscribed to this thread. Hope you keep it updated
Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:40 PM   #9
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolan View Post
Sounds good.

I have pulled up a lotus from a dirted tank before, and never will again unless planning to rescape. The root system rivals that of my amazon swords!

I subscribed to this thread. Hope you keep it updated
Barring any unforeseen catastrophes, I hope to update this (and my other tanks) at least once every 7-10 days. Speak of which I need to update my bigger tanks ^^
Old 04-29-2014, 07:15 PM   #10
AGUILAR3
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

The grass jungle bowl is going to be shrimp heaven once it fills in. I like the semi open space up font.
AGUILAR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:22 PM   #11
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGUILAR3 View Post
The grass jungle bowl is going to be shrimp heaven once it fills in. I like the semi open space up font.
Thank you ^^
I didn't want it too look too 'man made' so i mixed heights of stuff around the mid/front instead of all hc front and center. Curious to see how it will grow in/mix together (want a kinda of wild/mixed plant field look).
Old 05-01-2014, 04:15 PM   #12
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

So not a tank update, but a quick blurry photo.. I stuck my hand in the 10g hold tank to turn up a pot of hc, and a male or rili mix shrimp decided to land on my fingers and explore a bit. It was so cute I tried to take a photo (very awkward with 1 hand btw). I'm sure shrimp people see this all the time but its my first time so it was a cute moment, makes me look at them more as pets to bond with than just tiny shrimp (my husband sees them as tiny snacks)... I need to get a feeding dish..
Sorry I couldn't get it to focus on the shrimp.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:12 PM   #13
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

Default Update

Well unfortunately I managed to mess up the MGOPM as the bubble bowl now has ammonia:0.5, nitrite:0.25, nitrate:40. I'll have to gut and remove the soil and change over to osmocote + root tabs. I don't want to wait for this to cycle as I wanted a safe bowl I could slap shrimp and a cycled sponge filter in whenever I was ready without worried of high nitrates from leeched ammonia.
The bubble bowl also sadly has melting of blyxa j. and micro sword, chain sword is still light colored but otherwise seems healthy, the tears.. I don't really care so didn't look at, I put them in on a lark since i was given an extra pot.
I also got a new light for the Bowl as I thought it wasn't getting enough from the original light.
Moss jar is doing fine, and unless I messed up the nitrate test, ate up all the nitrates O.o (seriously never seen yellow on nitrate test of tank water before (tap comes in with nitrates that make it automatically read at "10 ppm" from test though water report says no higher than 2 here))

Last edited by AquaAurora; 05-04-2014 at 10:58 PM.. Reason: Typo
Old 05-04-2014, 07:47 PM   #14
Varmint
Planted Member

Too bad about the grass bowl. It's so pretty.
Varmint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:52 PM   #15
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

Default Drip drip drip

I decided to leave the bowl be and see what happens, hoping it stops leeching eventually, for now I'll just move all shrimp to the Jar when I need their holding tank again. I am actually moving the wild type Noes right now and dripping them in, I tested the water in their tupperware... damn those buggers are durable for living through my water change neglect! Definitely want them breeding with the cherry/rilli mix with the hopes of durable offspring. I added sponge filters to the picos today so now they can't be called no-techs. I hope they got enough BB build up from the 20g long, if not I'll grab out some foam and stuff it in the jar and bowl against the sponge filters.

Drip acclimation

Sorry for the second photo being blurry, camera doesn't want to focus on transparent shrimpies