My "new" 5 Gallon! Future shrimp tank!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 03-02-2015, 07:42 AM   #1
xydan
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

My "new" 5 Gallon! Future shrimp tank!

This is my first 5 gallon tank, and my 2nd attempt at a nano tank! =D

Hooray for me! haha.

So I finally bought the 5 gallon tank in my lfs that I have been eyeing since October 2014 (since I wanted to start a glosso carpet) in December. Tried to DSM it for a month and finally after a while I filled her sometime in the end of January. I mostly filled it up out of loss of patience. lol.

The tank is primarily going to be a shrimp tank home to hopefully some Blue Dream shrimp.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here are the Details:
Tank: 5 Gallon
Substrate: Flourite black sand
Filtration: Aquairum Masters filter *really small I think a 5 gallon filter.
Dosing: KNO3 and KH2PO4 3x a week every other day, Flourish Trace and Flourish Iron 3x a week, and Flourish excel daily for now. DIY Osmocote root tabs as well =D. Doing DIY CO2.
Lighting: ! Home Depot 16w CFL Bulb hanging 16-20" off of substrate. Pics somewhere down below.

Livestock:
1 Betta fish *he's moving out once I feel the tank is densely planted and ready for shrimp.
1 otto
1 Nerite Snail
*Newly added* 5 Celestial Pearl Danios

Plants:
Wisteria
Glossostigma
Crypt "Red"(?) It was sold to me as red crypts but I'm doubtful.
Christmas moss
Alternanthera reineckii 'Mini'

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also want to add that one of the many Lfs's I go to recently got some 1-2-Grow! plants from Tropica! And I was itching to try them out! (The xmas moss, and Alter Mini). So he asked me to keep him up to date with the plants because people were asking him how well they do. =D. So 1/2 of the reason I started this journal was to keep myself active with the progress of those 2 plants.

Here are some pictures =D :

Picture of tank at beginning of my attention span... more or less when I started to get things going.

Picture of cups that I bought from LFS =D

Pictures of the plants close up.

Picture of glosso roots after re-rooting and removing ones with algea.

And finally one week into the tank's life:

I'll try to update this weekly or as often as I can =D.

Any suggestions for Livestock that are compatible with Shrimp, plants, or anything else in general are all welcomed. =)

EDIT: Wanted to add some pictures just so I don't forget. =p

Some close up pics of the 2 Tropica plants for growth progress.

Update: 3/6/2015

Here is the lighting I have for the tank: (semi-ignore the 9 gallon to the left, lol)

Here are pictures of the CPD, I added 3 today but previously had purchased 2 a few days back.

Last edited by xydan; 03-07-2015 at 04:59 AM.. Reason: Add pictures, Update
xydan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2015, 05:48 PM   #2
Sub1117
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

1-2 Grow is being sold in North America? Since when!?

Great start. Any lighting specs?
Sub1117 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2015, 06:35 PM   #3
SueD
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

I have 7 Boraras urophthalmoides in a Spec V with RCS with no issues

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species...ophthalmoides/
SueD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2015, 04:13 AM   #4
xydan
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub1117 View Post
1-2 Grow is being sold in North America? Since when!?

Great start. Any lighting specs?
I'll update that right now, I've actually considered changing lights as I finally have a steady income vs. my one off left over tuition, haha.
And yeah! that was a shocker to me also! I knew the opportunity to try theses guys out were too good to pass up.

After visiting that same LFS most of the plants have been sold already within a week all that's left are 3 cups. !

Also in regards to changing lights, I was pondering it simply because I want those alternanthera to be a bright red. I've never been able to achieve that with any red plant. =/

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueD View Post
I have 7 Boraras urophthalmoides in a Spec V with RCS with no issues

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species...ophthalmoides/
I actually decided to stock it with some Celestial Pearl Danio's ! So I'll update that as well.
Old 03-07-2015, 04:27 AM   #5
treyLcham
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Just letting you know it's a hit and miss with those fish and shrimp. Sometimes you get lucky, other times they tear the shrimp up. At least that's what I have heard from people. I hear more bad then good though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
treyLcham is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2015, 05:02 AM   #6
xydan
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by treyLcham View Post
Just letting you know it's a hit and miss with those fish and shrimp. Sometimes you get lucky, other times they tear the shrimp up. At least that's what I have heard from people. I hear more bad then good though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
From the one article I read online through a quick Google search. The CPD's eat the baby shrimp, and the adult shrimp end up eating the CPD eggs...? So I'm not entirely sure what to expect in terms of caring for both, but I'm glad to tackle the challenge.
Old 03-07-2015, 07:18 AM   #7
theericafish
Planted Member

I've kept cpd and shrimp together before, it went pretty well but there were plenty of hiding spots.
Old 03-07-2015, 07:39 AM   #8
xydan
Algae Grower

I'm hoping the plants grow in well. Probably all the plants I have planted are slow starters but once I get them going I'm hoping I'm trimming every bi-week .

What kind of shrimp were you keeping, if you don't mind me asking?
Old 03-07-2015, 09:59 AM   #9
theericafish
Planted Member

I had some regular cherry shrimp in my 20L before I went high tech with it. I didn't really know anything about shrimp at the time and a lot of them died off before learning about GH and KH and so on. Once they got going though the population took off(started with 10 most died and around 4 turned into 40). I think it has a lot to do with future generations having shells grown in your water quality so they end up not having molting issues. When I got pressurized co2 I had it cranked way up and I nuked some of them(probably water became too acidic), move the remainders to a 10g and they took off again. Also had the cpds breed in that tank a couple times but I only saw a couple fry and they were all eventually eaten.

If/when the glosso grows in there should be hiding spots for baby shrimp and while some of them might get eaten some will survive too and the population will still grow. Of course shrimp usually thrive better in a fish less tank. Moss will help a lot too. I currently have a 5g with blue velvets which are breeding pretty well. Hoping a lot don't die during summer, they prefer a temp around 72-74, the tank hits 80ish sometimes during summer and I had a few die last year(could put a fan on the tank/float ice bottle etc but I guess I'm lazy).

Trust me you don't want to have to trim often it becomes a pain haha. Also I like eva and your avatar made me laugh is that a costume?

Last edited by theericafish; 03-07-2015 at 10:20 AM.. Reason: Had to rant more..
theericafish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2015, 07:00 PM   #10
xydan
Algae Grower

I still don't understand much about GH and KH, it's something I haven't decided to read up until this tank is fully grown out, being that I want to stock it up with some pretty pricey shrimp, lol. As far as red cherry shrimp go, there should be a picture of my 1st tank up there (the one on the left hand side under 'Update 3/6/2015' ) and in that one I have 2 otto's, 7 neon tetras and a small colony of RCS.

I started off with 9 but had difficulties with the females giving birth, mostly due to lack of water changes. It wasn't until a month ago that the population has grown twice as large and probably 3x, I just cant really see the shrimp all at once, and they're scared sometimes to come out and eat since I have fish in there.

Thankfully I do have moss in the 5 gallon, but it hasn't even been a week in there so I'm hoping for some positive results in a month. Might consider buying a new light or even making one on my own (DIY LED) it's just budgeting that I need to attend too.

And yes, lol that is an eva as my avatar. It is indeed a costume, it's from Anime Expo, a convention for japanese animation mostly. I took the picture in 2013 haha, and Evangelion is what I consider one of my favorite animes =).
Old 03-09-2015, 06:22 AM   #11
theericafish
Planted Member

Ya I noticed the 9 gallon when I was reading the post earlier. Is that fissidens carpet?

I would definitely recommend having a gh and kh test kit for keeping shrimp, especially pricier ones. TDS meter is useful too. The invert subforum has lots of info. In my experience its hardest to get the initial batch of shrimp to breed and afterwards it gets easier and they sort of just do their thing. If you try to match the water quality of the place you get them from I think you can speed up the process. Sometimes females will just drop their eggs, first time mothers is more common to do so.

As far as lighting goes I have a finnex fugeray on my 5g and honestly its a bit too much light(probably 30-40par medium light). I let some floaters take over the surface of the water and just have anubias and subwassertang in there and it seems to be going well at the moment(floaters probably brought it down to low light which is what I wanted). Before that I had a perfecto single cfl light ontop of the glass cover and that worked alright(id say very low light). I wanted to keep the tank very low maintenance and stable to stress the shrimp less etc. Last time I tested the water after 2 weeks nitrates were around 5. I dose really sparingly pps-pro micro and macro liquid ferts around 1ml after water change(water change around every 2 weeks/try not to do water change right after shrimp hatch).

I really wish I could stop buying eva merchandise ><

Last edited by theericafish; 03-09-2015 at 06:45 AM.. Reason: brb typing up a storm
theericafish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2015, 09:31 PM   #12
xydan
Algae Grower

UPDATE

Just wanted to add some progress pictures to show how the plants are doing.

This is the mini plant, I really like how it's growing, nice and bush.

The xmas moss, really slow growth... unfortunate.

And a full tank shot! The wisteria is getting crazy huge, then again it is wisteria, lol.

This is about 3 weeks in so I'll probably wait until the end of March before I put up any pictures however I might be buying a Finnex Planted + soon, So I'll update that too, .

Also want to add that I bought myself a GH/KH kit and it turns out my KH is pretty high and my water is pretty hardy, I've yet to test the tap water but I"ll probably do that sometime tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theericafish View Post
Ya I noticed the 9 gallon when I was reading the post earlier. Is that fissidens carpet?

I would definitely recommend having a gh and kh test kit for keeping shrimp, especially pricier ones. TDS meter is useful too. The invert subforum has lots of info. In my experience its hardest to get the initial batch of shrimp to breed and afterwards it gets easier and they sort of just do their thing. If you try to match the water quality of the place you get them from I think you can speed up the process. Sometimes females will just drop their eggs, first time mothers is more common to do so.

As far as lighting goes I have a finnex fugeray on my 5g and honestly its a bit too much light(probably 30-40par medium light). I let some floaters take over the surface of the water and just have anubias and subwassertang in there and it seems to be going well at the moment(floaters probably brought it down to low light which is what I wanted). Before that I had a perfecto single cfl light ontop of the glass cover and that worked alright(id say very low light). I wanted to keep the tank very low maintenance and stable to stress the shrimp less etc. Last time I tested the water after 2 weeks nitrates were around 5. I dose really sparingly pps-pro micro and macro liquid ferts around 1ml after water change(water change around every 2 weeks/try not to do water change right after shrimp hatch).

I really wish I could stop buying eva merchandise ><
I finally bought myself the API kit and I mostly want the light to get that high light and make that Alter. Mini. nice and red. I'll probably make the decision sometime next week, haha. And yeah I have the CFL closer now than I did before and it has helped but still hasn't given much red to the Alter. Mini. which is PRIMARILY what I"m aiming for in this tank. Algea I'm hoping appears but doesn't get too out of head, I'm still battling BBA in the 9.

Which I have to add, it is not fissidens carpet, I have yet to find that moss in my local area and I've strayed away from buying it online cause of my lighting. It's actually H.C.

I actually want a EVA UNIT Tattoo sometime later this year so don't worry, I'm in the same boat, haha.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Location. As precise as you feel comfortable with.
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, John and his friend Sally both spotted a dalmatian inside of a truck with sirens. The animal with John and Sally is a _ _ _?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.