inareverie85's 27G Cube
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 02-12-2012, 08:21 PM   #1
inareverie85
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)

inareverie85's 27G Cube

My Biocube began leaking, so I had to run out for another setup so that my fish and plants could survive. Thankfully, I have a wonderful significant other who is supportive of my hobby and admires the results as much as I do!

So now I have a 27g Cube!

Tank specs:
Dimensions: 20"x18"x20"
Substrate: API First Layer Laterite and Eco-Complete
Filtration: Eheim ECCO Pro 2234
Pressurized CO2
Lighting: Currently, AHS 24" 55wx2 with 6500k and 9235k bulbs.
Will soon have an AquaticLife 4xT5HO fixture that fits the tank a bit better.

I must say, this is my first canister filtered system, and this Eheim is amazing. My water is so crystal clear that it looks like air. I will be using these on any set up I get from now on!

The original aquascape was done here: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...cube-14-a.html

I've basically replanted it in the exact same fashion.

After my otos have finished enjoying their zucchini snack, I'll take some photos
inareverie85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2012, 09:22 PM   #2
Exceliber
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Awesome! How long have you had it set up?
Exceliber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:30 AM   #3
inareverie85
Algae Grower

I had just done a one-week update on my Biocube when it started leaking.. I have no idea what I need to do to re-seal it properly, so it's currently sitting on the back porch waiting to be washed and put away.. I have extra bulbs for the fixture and lots of extra filter media for it, so I don't see why I can't set it up again another day, but for now, I think the two tanks I have are plenty to take care of.

It's just a shame that it started leaking at all, but I now know to never waste my money on an all-in-one system. For it to be offered at such a price, some components just had to be cheaply-made. My new setup will roughly cost about $300 more, but it's got twice the volume, ten times the quality (and it doesn't leak) .

My new tank was planted on Thursday. My plants had started to wilt from being in a cold bucket for 2 days, so I trimmed the bottoms again before re-planting. After only three full days in the substrate though, they're already growing rather well - especially the rotala. My Blyxa seems to be melting a little (despite me opting to spare it from trimming), but the new growth is crisp and strong. A little pearling here and there, but not at the level I was seeing in the Biocube.

Last edited by inareverie85; 02-13-2012 at 12:38 PM..
Old 02-13-2012, 03:53 AM   #4
fusiongt
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

... what's a journal without pics...
Old 02-13-2012, 12:33 PM   #5
inareverie85
Algae Grower

I will be posting photos tonight or tomorrow. I have slices of zucchini at the front of my tank. It's a bit unsightly, but I wanted to feed my otos. Since I cleaned off the plants and driftwood before replanting (for the most part), they don't have a whole lot of algae to eat yet. Plus, I got three more with my original three since my tank's size has doubled. I think they're happier in a school of 6 than they were before.

Anyway, yes. Photos tonight or tomorrow Thanks for your interest.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:00 AM   #6
inareverie85
Algae Grower

UPDATE: Pictures!

So, the plants have spent 4 full days in the tank, and here are the results:

The growth overall is pretty good. Things are generally staying nice and compact, and my macrandras are a reasonably-nice red. Could be redder, but I did chop them up again before planting..

Two issues though..

First, my Blyxa seems to be melting. It was shipped here, planted, uprooted, stuck in a bucket for 2 days, and then replanted here. I hope it bounces back.. It pearls in the evenings after a day of CO2, but it's still melting.

Secondly, my tank is getting some algae It's not diatoms though. It's powdery-green algae on my glass - really messing with the beautiful visibility I previously enjoyed. It's also on the substrate.. I'm hoping it's not BGA. I have nerite snails on their way, and I hope they can help to keep it in check until my plants are settled and sucking up all the nutrition for themselves..

And, last but not least, the little darlings that kept me from photographing earlier. I wanted to give them time to enjoy their snack.

This is my favorite Oto, the biggest of them all. He was a big piggy when it came to the zucchini, too. He definitely munched on it the most.

Buuut, he didn't mind sharing.

Comments, critiques, and whatnot are very much appreciated
Thanks for looking!
Old 02-17-2012, 12:58 PM   #7
Chaoslord
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Nice start looks great.
I zoomed in on your blyxa and it does look like you have the beginning of BGA. Hopefully I'm wrong.
Either way vacuum as much out as you can it won't hurt.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:06 PM   #8
kcartwright856
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

I love the driftwood piece that you chose! It would look even more awesome with a few tufts of moss on the branches!

Lover of kuhli loaches and dwarf puffers!
RAOK Club #123!
KC's Uninteresting Tank
kcartwright856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:14 PM   #9
Basil
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Nice cube! Now with more space more plants and fish! Too bad to see the biocube go. Maybe the leak can be discovered and corrected.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:22 PM   #10
inareverie85
Algae Grower

Yay comments!

Thank you, Chaoslord. I surely hope it's not BGA I thought that the bright stringy bits were just the melted Blyxa leaves, as I have vacuumed over those strands many times, and even brushed over them lightly with a toothbrush. No sort of growth is budging; all I manage to accomplish is to take whole leaf off, which I probably shouldn't do if I want my Blyxa to bounce back. After that, I just left it all alone.

And thank you, KC! It's actually two small pieces of driftwood that I ordered from Asia. I fastened them together and anchored them with a rock. I like the warm color of the wood and the thin, twisty branches. It's a shame this wood is so hard for me to find locally. I thought about getting moss for it, but I decided against it because I want my Rotala and D. Diandra to grow further forward after some trimming. They would effectively cover much of the larger base of the driftwood, and only the branchy bits would be visible. This is what I envision for now, at least.

And thank you, Basil I'm really happy with the additional space. I realize now that I would have had way too many plants in the Biocube if I had let them grow out.. This tank has the same amount of plants in it, more or less, since I didnt buy anything extra aside from Glosso to cover the bare substrate in the back. I'm terrible with patience, but I'm learning quickly I hope that someone can help me take care of the leak as I would LOVE to get that tank up and running again some day. It's a great size and could possibly house a pair of dwarf cichlids or become a shrimp-friendly habitat instead
Old 02-17-2012, 09:15 PM   #11
impur
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Looks great!! I am starting with the same 27gal cube, I hope to get dirt, cap, and water in this weekend. Keep up the good work
impur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:15 PM   #12
inareverie85
Algae Grower

Oh, good luck with yours! I'd love to see it once you have it up and running
Old 02-20-2012, 01:58 AM   #13
inareverie85
Algae Grower

9 days old now.
Glosso is beginning to grow in, I'm getting more height on my stems, and my E. Vesuvius finally has submersed leaves!

I'll try to chill with the updates from now on
Old 02-22-2012, 11:30 AM   #14
Chaoslord
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Your tanks look like there filling in real nice.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:01 PM   #15
inareverie85
Algae Grower

Aww thank you once again, Chaos I'm so glad you've taken an interest in my tanks

Now that everything has rooted and begun to grow, I imagine itll speed up even more now.

The rotala is probably due for a trimming in about a week.

Last edited by inareverie85; 02-23-2012 at 02:13 AM..