Jasmine's Java and Anubias forest, Aqueon Evolve8 (Mojave's tribute tank)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 02-12-2012, 02:47 PM   #1
xjasminex
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)

Jasmine's Java and Anubias forest, Aqueon Evolve8 (Mojave's tribute tank)

Soo I had this wonderful betta named Mojave, she lived in a 3 gallon planted glass bowl that i got from michaels.I had made a top for it that had a two inch space in the back for cords too. She was a walmart betta that i felt i had to save....she was quite shy in the begining but all that soon changed!

After having her for a while she really opened up, she turned dark grey with dark red fins and aquired a voracious appetite! She loved to kill anything that entered her domain....snails mostly but the occasional fly or lady bug would find its way in and she would have her fun tearing it to pieces. She would jump out of the water and eat food of my finger and would greet me whenever i came into my room by squirming around at the front of her bowl. She was one of teh coolest fish i had ever had.

She seemed to grow bigger when given the space and food so i decided i was going to give her a new home and purchased the Aqueon Evolve 8 tank. I was eagerly awaiting the arrival of the tank and planning out exactly how i wanted to plant it all out for her!

Then one night i came home from work and entered my room....i always would say hi to her and her to me but when i looked in her bowl she wasnt there.....i thought maybe she is sleeping and i stuck my hand in and moved somethings aside but no mojave.....i then looked on the floor behind my cabnit and i found her all dried up and dead.....i started bawling.

Then two days later her new tank came in the mail.

So heres the tank and its journal that was inspired by Mojave.

(pics to start coming later today)

Last edited by xjasminex; 03-25-2012 at 02:56 AM..
xjasminex is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2012, 04:20 PM   #2
xjasminex
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So heres the begining pictures!

And heres a sneak peak of what its goingt o look like!

Old 02-12-2012, 05:30 PM   #3
kcartwright856
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

I'm so sorry to hear about Mojave. I'm glad that you gave her an excellent home during the precious time you had together.

The new tank is looking great, though!

Lover of kuhli loaches and dwarf puffers!
RAOK Club #123!
KC's Uninteresting Tank
kcartwright856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:00 PM   #4
xjasminex
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks! Mojave was the coolest fish and i was really sad to find her like that...=[

Im so excited for this new tank though, im going to be attaching my java ferns and anubias sometime in the next week too!

Id really like to get some mm too to carpet the front area....ill compile a list of flora once i have them all in there too!
Old 02-15-2012, 12:57 PM   #5
xjasminex
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So I found out that my driftwood wants to float...it's soaking in a bucket now.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:17 PM   #6
Eldachleich
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Cant wait to see how this turns out!!
I'm so sorry to hear that.
Its a sad day when that happens.
I used to have 5 planted bowls in my room. Each one had a betta. I went on vacation for a few months and left my sister in charge of feeding and a weekly 25% waterchange.
She did a wonderful job.. However the cleaning lady that came by once a week decided that it would be an incredible act of kindness to clean the algae off the sides of my bowl.
Apparently she used some sort of soap.
I came home to 4 dead betta's with peeling off skin.
When I was emptying them and crying I saw one of them flop weakly in the bucket.
I half his scales were gone... It was a mess..
I managed to get him to heal and he lived for two more years.
Till he jumped out a tank and I found him dried on the carpet.
Sad day..
I'm jealous of this wood. I'm jealous of this tank.
The evolves look so awesome!!! I just can't afford one.
Tell us what filtration is like and lighting and whatnot...
That wood is so inspiring...
Eldachleich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:06 PM   #7
xjasminex
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks! I can't wait either! Since your interested ill tell you my plan!

I saw this wood in the swap and shop...it was huge, I cut it in half, that might also be why it floating too because the other half was pretty heavy.

So I bought the wood knowing exactly what I wanted to do....I bought needle leaf java fern, trident java fern and windelov java fern, I also have a bunch of anubias I need to do something with too. I thought it would look pretty sweet if I could attach the needle leaf to the back of the wood to kinda make a curtain or back ground. Then attach the anubias to rocks and the bottom of the wood then maybe throw some of the other java ferns in there if they fit. I also bought some mini pellia which I should get today so kind of do a mossy wood effect which I think will really look good. And I would love to get my hands on some mm for a carpet for this too but its in short supply right now!

Those are my plans for now...I actually already had the needle leave java fern attached when I found out it was going to float so I had to take it all back off....I'm hoping the wood is just porous and needed to fill up with water and that I'm going to come home tonight and have it sink for me!

That's a huge bummer about your past bettas! The people in my house know to leave my tanks alone, lol. I'm glad the one healed and lived on, just proves how tough they are!

I also need to figure out what's causing my other bettas tail to be torn...I'm going cover things in Moss hope that that helps, and I'm buying a zoomed 501 canister filter too so he won't have the one really strong current...I hear that can also cause damage to fins.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:30 AM   #8
xjasminex
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The driftwood still wants to float...and so does the other half. I really want to get this up and rolling but I don't think it's going to happen yet =[

Any one have any suggestions?
Old 02-17-2012, 03:17 AM   #9
Wy Renegade
Planted Tank Obsessed

Tie it down with a large rock - once it water logs it won't float any more. May take a few months.

Sorry to hear about your betta, but interested to see where your build ends up.
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:32 AM   #10
xjasminex
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hmmm, theres not really room to tie a rock to the bottom of it....it fits perfectly in the tank with only a little bit of space between the top and the wood. I started thinking about big suction cups....drilling holes in the bottom of it so i can glue suction cups to the bottm then suctioning it to the bottom of the tank...
Old 02-17-2012, 09:25 PM   #11
xjasminex
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Or i could screw a sheet of acrylic to the bottom and have it extend in the front place substrate and bigger rocks on it to hold it down....
Old 02-18-2012, 01:59 AM   #12
Fishly
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjasminex View Post

WOW. That is some nice hardscape. You don't even need plants to make that look good. Who did you buy it from?

If you want the wood to stop floating, try putting it in a 5g bucket, then covering it with boiling water. Put a rock on top of it and then let it soak for a few days until it sinks on its own.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:20 AM   #13
limeslide
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

I'm sorry to hear about Mojave, she seemed like an awesome fish. I hope the tank cycles smoothly, what do you want to add to it?
Old 02-18-2012, 02:23 AM   #14
xjasminex
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks! I got it from sollie7 it was a much larger piece but i cut it in half and the other half is pretty cool too!

It has been in a bucket for a few days, I think I'll go up and check here soon so hopefully!
I'll keep my fingers crossed though!
Old 02-20-2012, 04:10 AM   #15
Pooky125
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Pooky125 Send a message via MSN to Pooky125 Send a message via Yahoo to Pooky125 Send a message via Skype™ to Pooky125

I can't believe I missed your thread! I've even been looking for it! The driftwood looks great. Hope you get the ball rolling on this soon. Can't wait to see how it turns out.
Pooky125 is offline   Reply With Quote