Ecoxotic Panorama Freshwater...dimmable?!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 02-12-2012, 01:20 AM   #1
samamorgan
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via MSN to samamorgan Send a message via Skype™ to samamorgan

Ecoxotic Panorama Freshwater...dimmable?!

So ive had these ecoxotic panorama freshwater modules for a good 6 months now. The ecoxotic website claims that they aren't dimmable, LIES! I just bought an ecoxotic ecopico LED arm light. While i was at my LFS buying it i asked if i could try the dimmer on the ecopico light. Voila, worked like a charm! Took my new light home happily (great build quality on this thing by the way) and hooked it up to my new shrimp tank. On a whim i tried the dimmer on my panorama modules, which have the same connections as all of their light products, and the dimmer worked perfectly on my panoramas as well...what the hell? I've been sitting here for 6 months with on/off only fixtures and just now find out that theyre dimmable when they say they arent.

Figured people might like to know this information. Can anyone explain why they would say they aren't dimmable when a simple plug it in test shows they are? Were they too stupid to just...plug it in and see like i did? Strange.
Originally Posted by Ludwig van Beethoven
Don't only practice your art, but force your way into it's secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine.
samamorgan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2012, 02:17 AM   #2
Tenor1
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

I have a new Ecoxotic Panorama Pro 8000 system and was told I COULD use the dimmers. Why would you want to dim the lights? Don't you want more light? I have 3 Panorama Pros and 2 12" magenta strips on my 36 gallon tank on a timer.

After 50 years I do a lot of things right, but still get things wrong
Tenor1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2012, 04:02 AM   #3
samamorgan
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenor1 View Post
I have a new Ecoxotic Panorama Pro 8000 system and was told I COULD use the dimmers. Why would you want to dim the lights? Don't you want more light? I have 3 Panorama Pros and 2 12" magenta strips on my 36 gallon tank on a timer.
Since i can now dim them, they are moonlighting as well. I dont like blue moonlights, looks fake. But very very dim panoramas make the tank look like perfect night

And yes, the pro system can be dimmed, they state that on the website. I don't have pro modules, mine are the first generation panorama freshwaters.
Don't only practice your art, but force your way into it's secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:16 AM   #4
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

If the light can be dimmed they can be fine tuned to your needs. Plants, depth etc.
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2012, 09:59 AM   #5
WingoAgency
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to WingoAgency

What dimmer are you talking about? Even though I did not spend much time with their units last time we met in a convention, they seem to be using resistive circuit for the module, if so, both a PWM driver or resistive dimmign driver can easily dim them.
WingoAgency is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2012, 12:33 AM   #6
samamorgan
Wannabe Guru

It's the standard dimmer that they sell for their units. http://www.ecoxotic.com/aquarium-led...2-24-volt.html

I have no idea what type of dimmer this is, i assumed it's just a standard pot. I'm no electrical engineer, my talents lean toward the software side of things.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:45 PM   #7
madness
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

It appears that they now list the dimmer as working with the stunner units as well.
madness is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.