Jake's Mr. Aqua 12gal Long/36" Shrimp Tank (pic heavy) - Page 7
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 02-28-2012, 02:24 PM   #91
dasob85
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)

looking good! could i trouble you for a top down shot of the entire tank? :p
dasob85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2012, 03:00 PM   #92
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (430/100%)

Those are posted earlier in the thread.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:03 AM   #93
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

Between this and my new-ish Ebi, I'm ignoring everything else!

Now I know that it was silly for me not to get this tank a long, long time ago. So glad I bit the bullet. Even dry it makes me happy. Everyone who comes into the condo is surprised by the shape and scale of the tank.

Can't wait to fill it and stock it with PFRs and Black Tigers. And maybe Otos if I think they can refrain from messing stuff up (contrary to popular belief, they can mess a planted tank up in a heartbeat).
Old 03-02-2012, 12:15 AM   #94
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

The time has come for me to flood this sucker. But flooding it will depend upon which type of shrimp I want to house.

I know I'm going to have PFRs. Up for debate: will I also house Crystal Black Shrimp or Black Tigers?

I use RO water so I'd have to raise the KH for Black Tigers. I have various Crystals/Bees at my office so I'm familiar with their parameters. Am used to keeping KH at negligible levels. Keep Neos at home so I'm used to never worrying about anything with them.

How, in more than a decade of shrimp keeping, have I not ever had to raise KH? Guess the old baking soda and Jake are about to become good friends if I decide on Black Tigers.

Just ran out of Kent R/O Right and started using Mosura Mineral Plus Ultra and love love love it. So no worries about getting TDS perfect.

Thoughts on jacking around with KH? I know it's not tough to raise it a few degrees.

Wait - my pH is at about 6.4-6.5 before adding it to the tank. Maybe I should just stick with CBS? Dangit. I hate making decisions when it comes to fun stuff like this. So everyone give me a whole bunch of conflicting opinions, quick! Ha.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:33 AM   #95
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

Okay, 15 minutes later... and I realize that I do not want to jack around with pH. KH I'm comfy with. pH? Not so much. So maybe CBS/some other fancy Crystal it is - since I won't have to mess with KH, either.

What was that, again, about me not being able to make decisions? (Okay, so I still want Black Tigers. Ugh. Just have to convince myself otherwise.)
Old 03-02-2012, 01:01 AM   #96
sockfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)

Oh man!

Another great 12 gal long setup--looking great!

I have to say you should take the trouble to put the shrimp you really want into this tank, I hate settling after going to the trouble to set up such a nice tank.

I have the GLA 91-B sitting on my console table and still waiting for the money to pimp it out. So I'm getting all my satisfaction by watching the threads that are working on it. I'm not the first to say there should be a 12 Gal Long sort of thread...

My other problem is, this tank makes me think in so many different directions, I haven't decided on a plan yet anyway.

But, it's true, it really does make me happy just looking at it as it sits there empty!

sox
Old 03-02-2012, 04:59 AM   #97
vvDO
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)

fill fill fill!!!!
3+ gallon (40 x 16 x 20.5 cm) aquatic soil, low-tech
Fluval spec V (sitting in a box)
vvDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:04 AM   #98
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

The tornado devastation of my hometown (West Liberty, Kentucky - the one you've likely seen on the national news programs and non-stop on the Weather Channel - along with dozens of interviews of me) set me back a bit.

Have driven 1,200 miles making trips back and forth in just a couple days/assisting with emergency relief. Total nightmare. Entire town wiped off the face of the earth.

But finally get to rest and plan to fill this sucker tomorrow!

Have an ammonia monitor connected to a dosing mechanism that will auto-dose the tank with ammonia to get it up to 2-3ppm each time it hits 0ppm. Randomly mentioned my desire to get the tank going to a neighbor along with my disappointment of having to wait until I can be home every day to drop in ammo. Boom, he had it ready to go today. Now I can (hopefully?) get a cycle going while disaster relief efforts are still under way. He made an already nerdy hobby that much more insane and I love it.

Will try to take photos as I slowly flood the tank and mess around with it in the morning.

Last edited by somewhatshocked; 03-05-2012 at 03:37 AM..
Old 03-05-2012, 02:22 AM   #99
Gnomecatcher
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Who is "he"? And what the heck is an ammonia monitor? I didn't know they made those.

Keeping Kentucky in our thoughts over here in Cali. Good luck!
Old 03-05-2012, 03:38 AM   #100
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

Whoops - left out a couple words. Randomly mentioned it to my neighbor, who is a chemist.

That's what happens when you're without sleep for 56 hours. Typically solid grammar and ability to communicate goes out the window!
Old 03-05-2012, 07:40 PM   #101
vvDO
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
The tornado devastation of my hometown (West Liberty, Kentucky - the one you've likely seen on the national news programs and non-stop on the Weather Channel - along with dozens of interviews of me) set me back a bit.
Glad to see you're ok, the media images are heartbreaking.
3+ gallon (40 x 16 x 20.5 cm) aquatic soil, low-tech
Fluval spec V (sitting in a box)
vvDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:28 AM   #102
sockfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)

My heart goes out to Kentucky. My Mom grew up in Maysville and my Aunt is still living there. She's OK, but ya'll were hit hard. Kudos to you for being part of the relief team!

Your tank will be worth the wait, I'm sure!

sox
Old 03-06-2012, 03:03 AM   #103
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

It's a literal disaster.

Here's a video as we first flew in Saturday morning.

Video a family friend took that shows an horrific close-up at the 2:22 mark. Don't watch it if you're prone to having your heart skip beats.

What you see on The Weather Channel doesn't even begin to tell the true story. 4,600 structures gone. Schools gone, hospital gone, no pharmacies, banks, grocery stores, city hall gone, court house gone, funeral homes gone, telephone service is weeks away, electricity won't be back for probably two weeks, no water, sewage. In a county of 12,000ish, that's straight out of a horror film.

Once I have less of a sleep deficit, I'll link to some of my coverage, photos and videos that will blow your mind.

Never felt so fortunate not to live in my hometown as I do right now, as awful as that sounds.

Had to make an unexpected flight back to the mountains today. Here's hoping I get to finally fill the tank tomorrow.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:01 PM   #104
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

Flooded it! Not a fan of the green Eheim tubing but it'll do for now.

Full tank shot:

Have the light fixture about 15 inches from the substrate in the front, 12 inches from the highest points in the back (where less light hits).

Turns out the 2232 and my DIY spray bar are creating plenty of flow:

Guess I won't need to use a powerhead after all. Guess I'll know more once the filter has been running for a week or two. Already have a few powerheads just in case.

Here's the ugly orange cap I found at U.S. Plastics to close off the end of the Lee's Rigid Tubing I used:

Doesn't look too distracting but I may find another solution down the road.

Using the Eheim intake with a sponge at the moment but may switch to a spare stainless steel pre-filter I got from Liam once I create a new intake pipe:

E. parkeri is starting to look better:

Marsilea minuta springing to life:

Temperature is holding steady at about 70F so I probably won't need to use the in-line ETH heater I bought until next winter. Not even going to take it out of the box.

Ordered two silent fans to build a couple DIY cooling devices that will arrive next week. Don't anticipate needing them, as I always keep it about 65-70 in my condo year round. Would rather be safe than sorry.

Bacopa australis seems to be bushing up quite nicely so I'm beginning to believe a background won't be necessary.

KH is 0-1, GH 5-6, TDS is at about 150 but I'm positive that will change as the tank matures and I get things into a better balance. Plus this is just day 1.

Really happy with the tank so far. So happy, in fact, that I've decided that I'd be okay with it just filled with moss if there's ever a plant disaster.

Can't wait to see how this plays out.

Here's hoping someone has some nice SS CBS to house with my PFRs when I'm ready to stock this thing.

Will my Otos be moving to this tank? Amano shrimp? Maybe. Maybe not. Haven't yet decided.

Thanks for reading!

Jake
Old 03-07-2012, 01:47 AM   #105
Ach1Ll3sH33L
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Tanks looking good!
Some thoughts about the flow in the tank. With a long spray bar such as yours, your flow is going to progressively decrease as you move down the pipe. What ive found with a setup like this, it creates somewhat of a horizontal vortex effect, picks up debris from the bottom, and circulates it to the top, however the vortex seems to shift the debris toward the lower flow side of the tank. So you may find it works better to have the filter intake on the opposite side. The tank is small enough though that you may find this doesn't happen, but something to consider.
Ach1Ll3sH33L is offline   Reply With Quote