Jake's Mr. Aqua 12gal Long/36" Shrimp Tank (pic heavy) - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 02-16-2012, 12:12 AM   #46
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (430/100%)

Don't think it would be sturdy enough for the 60-F. The weight for my tank is distributed across nearly the entire length of the shelf. The 60-F would put all 8ish gallons of water right in the center of the shelf. It'd also likely be a bit too deep (front to back) for the unit in the sense that it would wobble.

Here's a link to it.

There are tons of options for a 24" x 12" tank, though.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2012, 01:12 AM   #47
Geniusdudekiran
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)

Ok. Well surely it could fit the 45-F then... Can't beat the price. Can't wait to see this tank develop!
Old 02-16-2012, 01:14 AM   #48
dasob85
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)

having the second piece seems wasteful so I may just stick both under for the heck of it. its not like i'm gonna get a second 12gal long tank lol.

looking forward to seeing how you set it up! need some inspiration for when i have to set mine up
dasob85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:09 PM   #49
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

Just make sure it's not so much padding that it causes instability and it should be fine.

As far as not setting up another tank? I already want dozens of these and I haven't even flooded it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasob85 View Post
having the second piece seems wasteful so I may just stick both under for the heck of it. its not like i'm gonna get a second 12gal long tank lol.

looking forward to seeing how you set it up! need some inspiration for when i have to set mine up
Old 02-17-2012, 04:40 AM   #50
endgin28
Planted Member

PTrader: (13/100%)

This tank style is way too fun to work on. Great format. I did some emergent timber in my first incarnation, it definitely could have been better executed. Subscribed
Old 02-18-2012, 04:40 PM   #51
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

Finally found a source for Bacopa australis since I can't get an answer out of the seller here on TPT. Should be here in a week to ten days.

So I think I'm going to scape this thing today, add Anubias, C. parva, Marsilea minuta and cover it with plastic wrap until I can get Bacopa added. Will give things time to settle in before flooding. Also plan to add bits of moss upon flooding.

Hope I love this tank as much in a few months as I do right now.

Will have photos later tonight or tomorrow.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:14 PM   #52
vvDO
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Finally found a source for Bacopa australis since I can't get an answer out of the seller here on TPT. Should be here in a week to ten days.

So I think I'm going to scape this thing today, add Anubias, C. parva, Marsilea minuta and cover it with plastic wrap until I can get Bacopa added. Will give things time to settle in before flooding. Also plan to add bits of moss upon flooding.

Hope I love this tank as much in a few months as I do right now.

Will have photos later tonight or tomorrow.
Subscribed, I'm sure it'll look great.
3+ gallon (40 x 16 x 20.5 cm) aquatic soil, low-tech
Fluval spec V (sitting in a box)
vvDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:30 PM   #53
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

So… maybe I ordered too much Azoo Plant Grower Bed.

One bag is plenty, it seems:

Will have a couple bags left over. Guess I'll need to use it in one of my grow out tanks. Have an empty 20L that's just itching to be set up as another emersed rig. MORE PLANTS!

Wishing I'd been able to get my hands on Aquasoil Amazonia Powder Type. This will look okay for what I'm going for, I suppose.

As you can see, I'm finally getting around to scaping. Have things planned out on paper. Anubias nana will definitely be in between rocks, C. parva in the front corners and in front of rocks, Marsilea minuta in the center of the tank, Bacopa australis behind the rocks and maybe in the rear center of the tank. Mosses here and there.

Have decided that I don't want to wait for a month for this thing to be perfect for shrimp. So I'm going to move a ton of rock, plants and such over from tanks that are several years old to help supply the tank with all the nom noms shrimp tend to love. Maybe even moving some substrate. So there should be a suitable amount of surface area prepped for grazing within a week or two.

Still torn on whether or not I want a background. While black vinyl looks great on my smaller tanks and in tanks that are low to the ground… I'm concerned that a background on this tank will look a bit janky. The tank is situated in a division between a living area and my kitchen and will be a major focal point in an area that's about 800sq ft in size. Have toyed with a background and it seems like three feet of black is really stark. Breaks up the flow of the living space more than I want it to.

So here's hoping that if I go without a background, it'll seem more open and natural. Hoping it won't look strange once plants grow in. Thinking it won't be too big of a deal, as I won't have much gear to hide. The spray bar will be clear, intake will be clear/will have a stainless steel shrimp strainer on it, whatever pump (I think Koralia Nano - but I have a few to pick from) I decide on will be small and black.

Now just a waiting game for the delivery of plants.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:51 PM   #54
swoof
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

You could go for one of the "mist" type window covers they sell at Home Depot and other places.
swoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:17 PM   #55
madness
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

With a rimless tank and a small amount of equipment it should look OK without a background, I think.
madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:37 PM   #56
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

Here's hoping. Worst case scenario, really, I can just get some cheap-o film of some sort and attach it with mineral oil. But there's not really anything behind the tank but a wall. Even the tubing will come in via the ends. So I'm feeling more comfy about it as the hours pass.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:50 PM   #57
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

OMG. This whole scape thing is melting my brain. Didn't realize until about half way through that the tank needed to be pleasing and needed to look proportional from THREE SIDES. Head - desk.

Note: I have the light jacked up so I can get my arms into the tank with ease at the moment.

Here it is:

While the four rocks on the right look somewhat… heavy? or something… It was necessary to add that long thing that's somewhat in the middle of the tank to provide balance. Now, when entering the room, it looks great from the left. When facing it head-on, it looks pretty decent. When viewing from the right, it looks absolutely terrific.

Here's my tentative planting plan:

Mosses will go in there

I think I'm okay with the scape.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:27 PM   #58
dasob85
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i'm not familiar with some of the plants, googled to see the pictures but can't really see it in my head. however, the rocks are awesome!

i'm dreading planning out my scape too lol. luckily, my driftwood didn't arrive yet so I can procrastinate some more. if i send you pictures of mine, can you scape it for me?
dasob85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:30 AM   #59
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

looks great! i would add some steeper sloping though.

and i think you might want to think about going with all petite anubias
orchidman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:01 AM   #60
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

Just wanted to get the rock placed but may do some steeper sloping. This sort of stuff always settles over the course of a year, so I'd have to stack things up with lava rock beneath it all.

With the bushiness of B. australis, it's going to seem as if there's already some steep sloping. So likely won't add too much more.