Jake's Mr. Aqua 12gal Long/36" Shrimp Tank (pic heavy) - Page 15
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 04-25-2012, 12:59 AM   #211
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (428/100%)

P.S. Just found a PFR juvie I didn't know I had:

Guess one of the females had an egg or two I didn't know about when I moved them over to the tank.

For size reference, that CBS is a sub-adult and the PFR juvie is about the length of two Azoo Plant Grower Bed granules.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2012, 12:56 AM   #212
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

Okay. I'm way over the top-offs. DEFINITELY going to buy a DIY auto top-off kit for this tank. I've been topping off at least a gallon per week.

It's my first open-top tank in this condo/loft and I'm not used to this much evaporation. Who knew it was so dry in here? Sure, I run a dehumidifier system and, well, have 30ft ceilings but I didn't anticipate it. I've got dozens of open-top tanks in my office and have had them in previous homes with no worries. I top my 120 off at work with about a gallon a week. Guess there's a first time for everything. Even in the 10,000% humidity of the Ohio Valley/right on the river. Hoo boy.

And I thought I was keeping things simple by not using reefing equipment. Ha. Shame on me for trying to be all simplistic.

Guess I'll have to do it before the cooling fans kick in later in the summer. Because then I'll likely be topping off a billion percent of the water each week.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:53 AM   #213
Michiba54
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Nice set up, your Bacopa blows mine out of the water.

How are you liking the Azoo plant grower? Its one of the 3 subs I'm looking into from my first shrimp tank... I really like the round black/brown balls from baked clay soil substrates for some reason.

Maybe I am weird?
Michiba54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:57 AM   #214
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

Thanks. I've found it just needs good flow to get bushy. There was a period of time when I wasn't so keen on it but now it looks pretty cool from all angles. Shrimp seem to enjoy it was much as moss, too.

The Azoo stuff is pretty good. Holding up well, seems to be supplying plants with everything they need so far. It's also heavy enough that shrimp and snails aren't able to easily uproot delicate plants. I'd say it's a good bang for your buck if you can't get your hands on Aquasoil.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:09 PM   #215
sunyang730
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

There are so many to learn to keep a tank. LOL and today from Jake I just learned that there is such thing as auto top off kit. I have all my tank top off, and basically i have to add some water everyday. LOL will that cause a problem? Or should I get a top off kit too?

Please forgive me for my grammar mistakes!
sunyang730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:17 PM   #216
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

Auto top-off kits are just a luxury item and are not necessary. I would not recommend one unless you're well-experienced in that realm. The most reliable systems are complicated, expensive and can still fail so they require quite a bit of planning.

Many reef tank keepers use them because super-exact salinity requirements are necessary for a healthy reef. Keeping water levels constant in those tanks is key. I have them on all of my non-freshwater tanks.

In a planted or shrimp tank, the slight fluctuation doesn't matter as much, really. I'm going to use one because daily top-offs (slow pours, so as not to disturb plants/shrimp/substrate) is becoming more time consuming than I'd anticipated. And because the evaporation rate is apparently crazy in my condo.

The ATO system I have planned will only hold an amount of water that won't cause the tank to overflow if one of the components fail. Even though I'll have two float valves in the tank and one in the reservoir, things can still fail and I don't want to risk it.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:22 PM   #217
sunyang730
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

LOL, waiting to see your setup.

I am getting my 12g Long today. I just can't wait!!! and btw your food is just so good not that I tried but my shrimps love it. And you know what, my BKK loves it. (something that he will touch so I will consider that as LOVE) LOL

Please forgive me for my grammar mistakes!
sunyang730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:12 PM   #218
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

There are tons of auto top-off systems already in existence. Here's one method. Here's another.

Glad to hear it about the food!
Old 05-04-2012, 03:48 AM   #219
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

All the Kentucky Derby shenanigans are going to cause me to pop a vein and/or melt my brain. Every year this city turns into a disaster zone and the population doubles. Which is a lot more people than you're probably thinking.

Drunk people everywhere, strange stretch limos, all kinds of people taking over everything. And I thought my day job was crazy.

So I've been shrimp nerding all evening to try to forget about the madness in the streets below.

Spent several hours with my new Goldens before ending up back at this tank.

And whattya know? More berried PFRs and several babies that must have been well hidden for a couple weeks. Also found a Horned Nerite that I thought had died of old age (I'd had it forever) weeks ago. Guess I had more than I thought!

Now, to wait for CBS babies. If I can find the patience.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:34 PM   #220
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

Had a random CBS death. Not entirely sure what the deal is. Others are thriving, didn't appear to be bacterial or diseased but you never know.

On the other hand, I've got a bazillion berried PFRs and a berried CBS.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:04 PM   #221
SomeCanuck
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Random and completely off-topic question most likely a result of my newbishness towards shrimping, but what's that beige ball in the background? Is it one of those mineral ball things? I assume if it's in one of your awesome shrimp tanks, it comes recommended?
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
SomeCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:51 PM   #222
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

Azoo Max Bio Ball. Bacterial and enzyme concoction that slowly breaks down to help develop nice bacterial colonies in the substrate. Also a nice surface for junk to grow that shrimp feed on. Bacillus subtilis, Aspergllus olize, Bitido bacteruru, Protease, α-amylase.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:36 PM   #223
SomeCanuck
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Ooooooo! Spiffy! And thanks! *researches*
SomeCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:17 PM   #224
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

I tend to drop them in newer tanks as a boost. Sometimes I use the fancier brands. Completely unnecessary but sometimes fun to use.

My favorite reason to use them: shrimp are always climbing all over them, making them easier to watch and photograph.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:35 AM   #225
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PFRs are doing well:

All of these are berried or have recently started dropping shrimplets:

You can kind of see one of the CBS off to the left. They're doing great, as well, but mostly only come to the front of the tank later in the evening.

Bought a new MagFox cleaner to use on the spray bar and plan to clean it out tomorrow.

Still enjoying this tank a bunch.