Official sump pimp club. - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 02-12-2012, 11:07 AM   #31
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

100% vinyl tubing as of now for space, ease of use, and time requirements. Pvc hardline is in the works for some of the plumbing

Old 02-12-2012, 11:10 AM   #32
Craigthor
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf View Post
100% vinyl tubing as of now for space, ease of use, and time requirements. Pvc hardline is in the works for some of the plumbing
Also remember you can get flex PVC which may be a bit easier to work with.

When I do my plumbing I will be using alot of flex PVC, sched 80 fittings and schd 80 hard line as I like the nice grey color.

Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
Craigthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:29 PM   #33
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigthor View Post
Also remember you can get flex PVC which may be a bit easier to work with.

When I do my plumbing I will be using alot of flex PVC, sched 80 fittings and schd 80 hard line as I like the nice grey color.

Craig
i've read its not that flexible before. how is it in relation to vinyl tubing?
Old 02-13-2012, 03:39 AM   #34
SlammedDC2
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)

All of my piping is 1" pvc, it is sealed with purple primer and clear cement. I have found that when you pre assemble everything it is best to use a sharpie and on every joint put a line on the end of the pipe rolling up onto the T, 90, coupling, etc. If you've done this it will make it easier when it's time to make it permanent.

Here is my CPR CS-102 1200gph overflow with two 1" bulk heads draining into 1" pvc which feeds the sump. This also has a diy screen over the slots as my bloodfins liked to ride the rapids in the overflow.

Here's my 29g sump filtering my 125g. First chamber has loofas for course filtration with filter floss on top for fine filtration. That chamber overflows into the bio balls, from there is flows under to the ceramic media. You can also see the return line above and behind the sump with the gate valve to regulate flow.

Here is where my 800w titanium heater, and 1350gph return pump that feeds into the external griggs reactor (no media atm). Also in this area is the sponge for my ac110 (in storage) thermometer and bio wheels from an old tank used to cycle this one.

Here is my reactor, 10lb tank and ferts.

Here is my 3/4" cross (idk why I didn't get a T?) capped on bottom with 1" 45 elbows. Creates good flow and spreads the co2 around nicely

Here is the 1" diy pvc overflow that has proven to be awesome. It has a sponge I found and spread open to fit the opening.
It was originally used in the 125g but was far outpaced by the 1350. Well it works great on here, and has self primed every time I turn the pump off for cleaning.

more of the overflow, there is a check valve on the end of that hose. has not built one bubble yet in 3 months.

Now here is the 20g sump filtering for my 55g turtle tank. Now the baffle washed out the other day. I guess I didn't goop enough silicone on there, kinda wish I had just gone with glass to begin with but it's a little late for all that. I have something in mind to improvise in the tank but having a hard time locating. Anyway the sump has bio balls, jager heater and marine land 350gph return pump. This return has a ball valve instead as I couldn't find a slip on (to cement in place) gate valve. Regulating flow has proved to be difficult but it's getting close.

heres the return pipe coming in 3/4 down the tank

the return

any questions please ask.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:53 AM   #35
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

TWO questions actually
c02 injection. how much do you waste? ever since my sump i've had difficulties dropping below 6.6 ph. i used to drop from 7.6 to 6.2--6.0 range.. sump is seal, lines are sealed. only exit for gas is through the silencing tube or dissolving in gas.. my reactor doesn't seem to be able to handle full dissolution anymore
running about 300gph through it and maybe 3-4 bps ou of the tubing i get a few bubbles comming out of the outflow

next how does pvc compare to flex tubing for noise and flow handling?

EDIT: i knew there would be c02 loss. the added benefits of additional o2 outweigh the loss. i just can't get more to go in now
Old 02-13-2012, 04:36 PM   #36
SlammedDC2
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf View Post
TWO questions actually
c02 injection. how much do you waste? ever since my sump i've had difficulties dropping below 6.6 ph. i used to drop from 7.6 to 6.2--6.0 range.. sump is seal, lines are sealed. only exit for gas is through the silencing tube or dissolving in gas.. my reactor doesn't seem to be able to handle full dissolution anymore
running about 300gph through it and maybe 3-4 bps ou of the tubing i get a few bubbles comming out of the outflow

next how does pvc compare to flex tubing for noise and flow handling?

EDIT: i knew there would be c02 loss. the added benefits of additional o2 outweigh the loss. i just can't get more to go in now
Honestly I don't know how much is lost. This is the first tank I have done co2 on.
Now as for the reactor, mine does not disolve 100% or anywhere close. My tank is constantly covered in micro bubbles and I hate it. I think I am going to cut it open sometime this week and fill it with media and see if that helps. If not I will feed it to a powerhead in the sump and see how that goes.

I have no experience with flex tubing. Everything was set up with pvc and that's how it's stayed. Now as far as noise goes...there really isn't any. I can hear the pump from the 55g if I listen for it.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:49 PM   #37
NWA-Planted
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlammedDC2 View Post
Honestly man this thread was started kind of spur of the moment in response to another thread, but something I really had thought about for a few days. Don't worry man, your number two in my heart...shh don't tell my wife lol

ok ok, your secret is safe with me haha
NWA-Planted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:50 PM   #38
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

hmm. i may have to go pvc. but the tubing sound isn't bad the way i have it setup. there is a nice trickle sound like a slow fountain over rocks

I have a erge style reactor that used to dissolve everything. i don't get micro bubbles. i get decent sized ones that come out and don't ever dissolve or get used. its frustrating. i've been told that needle wheels work great for our applications.. i may try to modify my reactor first

i will tell u i got MAD micro bubble when i ran it through my pump into my reactor. it was like the reactor wasn't even a stopping point.. ima cut about an inch off my c02 feed line and turn the outflow hose and see if that helps. i may just have too much water flow through for the size reactor i have
Old 02-13-2012, 06:03 PM   #39
SlammedDC2
Wannabe Guru

I have heard that needle wheels are best for larger tanks with sumps but have no idea what they are. I probably need to run over to google and take a look.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:13 PM   #40
NWA-Planted
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

I did a sponge style one powered with a power head, no visible bubbles out the end good diffusion, also use the power head impeller to pre-chop the bubbles.

Has been moved to better hide it, far left of tank..

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
NWA-Planted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:21 PM   #41
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

taam rio plus powerheads should come withone. however my1700 plus did not. the replacement part however is a needlewheel
Old 02-14-2012, 12:03 AM   #42
SlammedDC2
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWA-Planted View Post
I did a sponge style one powered with a power head, no visible bubbles out the end good diffusion, also use the power head impeller to pre-chop the bubbles.

Has been moved to better hide it, far left of tank..

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Ray Charles must have taken those pics because I can't see a thing
Old 02-18-2012, 10:56 PM   #43
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
I hear you. I save up "she money" (money she don't know about) for all my purchases. She doesn't care how much I spend so long as none of the bills are short and everything else is taken care of.
i call that submarine money, it dives into my pocket after a side job and she can't see it but i am lucky, like your wife, as long as the bills are paid, she doesn't care how much i spend on the tanks

seriously considering building a sump for my 125
Fishies_in_Philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:32 PM   #44
SlammedDC2
Wannabe Guru

Now I can see the pics NWA, I see what your saying. I think I'm going to do some work to mine today, I am not happy with it currently. That and I have used almost 10lbs in a month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishies_in_Philly View Post
i call that submarine money, it dives into my pocket after a side job and she can't see it but i am lucky, like your wife, as long as the bills are paid, she doesn't care how much i spend on the tanks

seriously considering building a sump for my 125
You should, it's all the new craze
Old 02-20-2012, 01:32 AM   #45
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Now I can see the pics NWA, I see what your saying. I think I'm going to do some work to mine today, I am not happy with it currently. That and I have used almost 10lbs in a month.

You should, it's all the new craze
i've also modified my system more to save on c02. pump was too powerful for reactor so i now have a second pump that runs my reactor from my sump reservoir to reactor back to sump. it has worked quite nicely. got to dial my c02 back down, and any bubbles that come out are sucked up by the pump feeding the tank which leaves a very small unnoticeable mist in the tank.. so i get like the best of needlewheel and almost 100% dissolution