Official sump pimp club. - Page 14
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 05-12-2012, 01:58 PM   #196
SlammedDC2
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Can you tell where the air is getting into the loop? That's a pretty significant dysfunction, I expect the AL pump will manage it well enough, but it seems like dealing with the syphon breakage would also be a Good Thing ....
No, I have no idea. If I have time today I might just rebuild it with the leftovers in the garage.
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2012, 04:58 PM   #197
NatCh
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Yeah, sometimes ya just gotta start over. (shrug)
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:09 PM   #198
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

4 is it. And thats including the greater chatt area. Petco, petsmart, bermuda triangle, and fish mania
Old 05-14-2012, 01:24 PM   #199
SlammedDC2
Wannabe Guru

wow that sucks. We also have four. Petsmart, pet food co, J&M, and Pet Palace <--this would be the best out of the bunch.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:05 PM   #200
NatCh
Planted Tank Obsessed

Y'all're doing better than Jackson is. We just have PetsmartCo (yes, both, about a mile and a half apart).

I have found evidence of three or four actual aquarium shops that existed here at some unknown point in the past, but they were all well gone before we moved here five years ago.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:11 PM   #201
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

MAN that's bummer. i am at least proud of my lfs. fish mania. they don't have much in terms of equipment or plants. but the fish are in great health, its great to no have to worr about sickly fish when i leave the store.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:23 PM   #202
dj2606
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (15/100%)

So the other day I was thinking about water changes and wanted to stop using a python and wasting the water to siphon out of the sump.

Does anyone use the pump in the sump for water changes?
Old 05-14-2012, 05:56 PM   #203
SlammedDC2
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj2606 View Post
So the other day I was thinking about water changes and wanted to stop using a python and wasting the water to siphon out of the sump.

Not at all, I don't want to undo any plumbing, I just use my python and watch TV or mess with another tank while it drains. Plus I find the python is helpful as I go room to room from 10g to 10g to 15g to 20g to 55g to 125g
Old 05-14-2012, 06:17 PM   #204
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

I just made a 25 foot siphon hose with strainers to drain outside
Old 05-14-2012, 08:06 PM   #205
SlammedDC2
Wannabe Guru

Okay fella's I need to figure out a new way for the turtle to come out of the water. She has gotten a little big for the mantz that she was using. I could easily go to petsmart, etc and get a floating turtle dock but I want something that is more realistic looking. What are ya'lls thoughts?
Old 05-14-2012, 08:27 PM   #206
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlammedDC2 View Post
Okay fella's I need to figure out a new way for the turtle to come out of the water. She has gotten a little big for the mantz that she was using. I could easily go to petsmart, etc and get a floating turtle dock but I want something that is more realistic looking. What are ya'lls thoughts?
Mine isn't realistic looking (I could fix this with fake grass, silicone rocks, etc) but went with Celuka and made a dock, with a ramp going up. Celuka is basically PVC that is melted, a bit of air inserted and cooled into sheets, stripes, etc. It is very hard, safe for water like PVC, will never rot, easy to clean. My roomie uses it at work and got some scrape, so not sure where to buy it but cuts like wood with any saw.

Here's a pic of the ramps in either end. This pic is a bit old as I put a solid base of Celuka on the bottom of the ramp as well and a big rock sits on that to keep it in place. I'm sure I could paint them, silicone gravel on them, etc to give them a natural look but this tank is basic for maximum room for them, plastic plants get knocked over, real plants get eaten, so it's some rocks on the bottom they like going through, some feeder fish and basking docs.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:32 PM   #207
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:

I do. I shut off my my pump and let the sump fill, turn 1 ball joint to turn off 1 return line, I have a piece of hose with a connector that I attach to my other return line and put it out my window and drain the sump. Figure with the crap that builds up in there, that's the better water to change anyways over the tank water. Takes about 30s to setup and drains the sump (and does about a 20gal WC) in a minute or two.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
Old 05-15-2012, 02:32 AM   #208
dj2606
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeToChKn View Post
I do. I shut off my my pump and let the sump fill, turn 1 ball joint to turn off 1 return line, I have a piece of hose with a connector that I attach to my other return line and put it out my window and drain the sump. Figure with the crap that builds up in there, that's the better water to change anyways over the tank water. Takes about 30s to setup and drains the sump (and does about a 20gal WC) in a minute or two.

can I get a pic ?

My only concern is the pump sucking in air once the water level in sump gets low. Do you have anything in place to make sure this doesn't happen? Also how do you maximize the amount of water being removed so that you drain the sump almost empty?

Sorry for all the questions
Old 05-15-2012, 03:21 AM   #209
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
can I get a pic ?

My only concern is the pump sucking in air once the water level in sump gets low. Do you have anything in place to make sure this doesn't happen? Also how do you maximize the amount of water being removed so that you drain the sump almost empty?

Sorry for all the questions
Soon as it gets low to the point of sucking it air, I shut it off.

My tank has 2 corner overflows (you can sort of see in the pics), and each one has a standoff pipe for the drain, with strainer on top of that, then a sponge on it, (and a float inside the pipe to adjust the amount draining by the level of the overflow box). I always fill my sump to the point that if the pump is off, the water level in the overflows is at the top of the standoff pipe and won't drain anymore. I leave enough room that if for some reason the standoff pipe came loose and both overflows fully drained, the sump wouldn't overflow (marked a mark on my sump for the MAX waterline). So what I do is pull the standout pipes out, so the overflow fully drain, fills the sump to the rim, connect my drain to the return, drain till almost empty (only about an inch of water left in my sump before the pump is pulling in air), then refill the tank until the overflow kick in, fill the sump to my max line and turn the pump back on.

Until Nov, I never had a sump before and I have causes a few overflows but I have it down now and have learned lots about how it works and such.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
Old 05-15-2012, 04:06 AM   #210
dj2606
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeToChKn View Post
Until Nov, I never had a sump before and I have causes a few overflows but I have it down now and have learned lots about how it works and such.
I'm still in the learning stage =), I setup a breeding rack of 8 20L using 2 sumps. Ran into a lot of snags and had to figure out ways to fix them, good news I think after setting up the tanks if any plumbing issue in the house to arise I could easily fix them .

So you have 2 ball valves on the return from the pump. One going in line to the display that stays open (until you do a water change, then you close this one). A second ball valve which runs to a drain line you have go out your window (this one stays closed until you do a water change and open it to drain the water out)?

I wonder if there is a another way to do this with just one valve. One that can switch the routing of water, to either the display or the drain.