.3 Gallon Bowl
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 02-10-2012, 05:15 AM   #1
Ckent42
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

.3 Gallon Bowl

So I thought I would share this with everyone, since it's a little unique. Basically, I put together an overflow system for a planted bowl, because I was too lazy to let it cycle on its own. I found out that there was a way that I could modify the filter of that two gallon hex tank to pump water through airline tubing, and so I went out and bought some 1/2" tubing to make the overflow. The system is incredibly simple, as I just change the height of the outflow end of the overflow to change the height of the water in the bowl. I can see that there is still room for error, and had my old system fail and leak for about two hours while I was gone. Luckily, it flows extremely slowly, so only about a half a gallon leaked out. Right now I have a betta in there temporarily, because it was stressed by the flow of the main tank, and I couldn't slow it down. He's my girlfriends anyways, and so we're going to set up a large planted and filtered jar for him this weekend, probably about two gallons or so.

As for the main tank, I'm apologizing for the pink gravel. That was in there before, and I had hoped to leave it in under the sand, but it worked it's way up. After school ends when I have more time I'm going to take a day and change it out, so it's just sand. The filter is a 20 gallon aquaclear (i think), which has been modified to include anacharis as a sort of refugium-type thing. The plants are: some anacharis, a sword of some type, some sort of rotala I believe, an anubias of some sort, and some type of grassy thing that I'm hoping will take off. As for fish, there are two bumblebee gobies and a tiny baby kuhli loach. Finally, there are two malaysian trumpets and 80,000 ramshorn snails. Actually less, since I severely trimmed back the anacharis and liberated the jungle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGA0400.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	41774  

Name:	IMGA0402.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	41775