How Long Should The Lights Stay On?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 02-09-2012, 03:46 AM   #1
Tenor1
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

How Long Should The Lights Stay On?

Mine are timed for 12 hours. Is that too much and what bad happens? I run CO2 and have a LOT of LED lights. Sorry I don't know the PAR, just that it's a lot.

After 50 years I do a lot of things right, but still get things wrong
Tenor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2012, 03:50 AM   #2
Daximus
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenor1 View Post
Mine are timed for 12 hours. Is that too much and what bad happens? I run CO2 and have a LOT of LED lights. Sorry I don't know the PAR, just that it's a lot.
If you have no algae present I'd stay at 12. I wouldn't go anymore than that because plants (and fish) need their time off. If you do have algae I'd back of to 10, 8, or even 6. I'm running 10 hours for what it's worth, but I'm clueless when it comes to LEDs.
Daximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:55 AM   #3
Tenor1
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks Daximus for such a FAST response! I don't have any algae problems, but I did start using Excel when I got the new light system.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:03 AM   #4
Daximus
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Thanks Daximus for such a FAST response! I don't have any algae problems, but I did start using Excel when I got the new light system.
Excel is both a biological form of carbon and an algae inhibitor from what I gather. This sort of explains it, lol http://www.seachem.com/Products/prod...rishExcel.html

I don't use it on a regular basis though...but it certainly can't hurt. As to the light time, that's my opinion...based off my T8 lights, so take that for what it's worth. I do know that plants need time off though. I figure the sun is up for about 12 hours...so I wont go more than that, lol.
Daximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:38 AM   #5
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daximus View Post
I figure the sun is up for about 12 hours...so I wont go more than that, lol.
I figure as much: all my lights are on 12hrs. Except the ones over a tank in master bathroom - they keep my wife awake. 10 hours for her
Old 02-09-2012, 11:04 AM   #6
BBradbury
Wannabe Guru

Default Lighting Time

Quote:
Hello Ten...

Aquatic plants are tropical and used to long hours of daylight. I'm with you on the length of time to keep the tank lights on. I have my tanks' lighting on timers for 12 hours on and 12 off.

I don't worry about PAR or any of that. For me, it's easier to use the standard aquarium plant bulbs, 6500 K, T8s or T12s and get the watts per gallon of tank volume up to 1 for low light plants, 1.5 for moderate light plants and up to 2 watts for plants that need a little stronger light.

Pretty simple. The other information is too much "brain damage" for this old water keeper.

B
Old 02-09-2012, 11:32 AM   #7
Tenor1
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks for the confirming support BBradbury. The catalyst for me is getting new lights and finding this forum, a deadly combination leading to total confusion. I was reading the banter in the fertilizer section. It's too scientific for me but interesting to read how important that part of the hobby can be to those people. I like to enjoy how the tank looks more than needing to know the scientific reason for it. The same tank can give each of us pleasure for totally different reasons.

Who knows, an aquarium can bring world peace or world war as scene in the ferts section, lol.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:17 PM   #8
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

12 hours may work fine for T12s. I noticed that some of my stem plants close the leaves up at the tops of the stems and shorten up the lighting period to just when this happens. Once those leaves are closed the plants are done taking up light energy for the day. Myrio, Rotala, wisteria all do this, probably more. Yesterday I noticed the completely unshaded Myrio and Rotala with closed leaves but the Ludwigia that is getting shaded by pennywort again had open leaves.

My metal halides are each on for 6 hours with staggered starting times so the total lighting period is 9 hours.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:55 PM   #9
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Quote:
...It's too scientific for me but interesting to read how important that part of the hobby can be to those people. I like to enjoy how the tank looks more than needing to know the scientific reason for it. ...
I think it is important to understand the Science behind the how we maintain our Aquariums. I do not feel we need to take it to rocket science levels. I just don't see the need for computer software to keep plants and fish that live very well in 3rd world drainage ditches that get Water Buffalo Dung as Ferts.

DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:11 PM   #10
NWA-Planted
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

I probably need to up my lighting period right now only running about 7 hours, I kick them on around 12 noon then shut off at 7, was tired of getting home and the lights were already off and not getting to see my fishes!
NWA-Planted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:23 PM   #11
Only One Haze
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWA-Planted View Post
I probably need to up my lighting period right now only running about 7 hours, I kick them on around 12 noon then shut off at 7, was tired of getting home and the lights were already off and not getting to see my fishes!
That's exactly how mine is, for the same reason!
Only One Haze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:27 PM   #12
NWA-Planted
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only One Haze View Post
That's exactly how mine is, for the same reason!

There are a few other people here that do it as well, so we are not alone!!
NWA-Planted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:28 PM   #13
Tenor1
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
I think it is important to understand the Science behind the how we maintain our Aquariums. I do not feel we need to take it to rocket science levels. I just don't see the need for computer software to keep plants and fish that live very well in 3rd world drainage ditches that get Water Buffalo Dung as Ferts.

Dodfish, you put things in the right perspective for me and I appreciate you being around. I play in a home-based early music group and one player JUST happens to be a MIT rocket scientist. He takes 20 minutes to answer the most simple question. There IS death in the details, lol, at least for the rest of us!