Black Diamond in SO-CAL - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 02-26-2012, 03:49 AM   #16
jersysman
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to jersysman

I've seen a lot of complaints on the forums about Black Beauty. No, it's not the same thing. Tghey both may be coal slag, but there are differences among brands. If there weren't, then everything could be sold by one company. Whatever the difference, Black Diamond has had much better reviews for a substrate in aquariums then Black Beauty. I don't have the links, but when I was looking for a new substrate, I certainly came across them.
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2012, 05:36 PM   #17
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (438/100%)

I recently purchased Black Diamond at a couple Tractor Supply locations in California. You may want to check with the stores nearest you.
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2012, 06:48 PM   #18
reddhawkk
Planted Member

PTrader: (12/100%)

I will be setting up a dirt tank soon and the Black Diamond looks like it could be something I want to investigate as I like dark substrates. Has anyone used it just by itself for a (horrors) fish only tank?
reddhawkk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2012, 09:51 PM   #19
aaronbrown
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

i use only black diamond and root tabs in my fw tanks but my neighbor uses it in his sw tank with no issues ive even had a horsehead loach that loved to bury in the stuff with no ill efects
aaronbrown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2012, 03:54 AM   #20
Lurch98
Algae Grower

PTrader: (16/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
I just set up a tank with Black Diamond blasting grit, 20-40 size. I was amazed at how much better it is than the coal slag grit I used several years ago. This stuff isn't at all sharp, is much smaller particles than I had before, and is easy to use. I didn't even wash it. I'm completely sold on it now. It can't harm cories because it isn't sharp edged particles anyway. Now I wonder what brand the stuff I had before was.
The bag of Black Diamond I got from my TSC is somewhat sharp, and abraded my hands when i vigorously rubbed it between them. It has some longer pieces in it too. It's a nationally marketed product, but I highly suspect regionally produced as logistics costs to ship it across country would be terrible for a large chain. Depending on what producer they use to produce the product for your local stores, which I suspect could change, you may have gone from the sharp angular product, to a more rounded one. I'm going to guess it's all in how they crush it and if they do any type of tumbling and/or screening prior to bagging.

All supposition on my part.

Moral of the story, don't rub Cories in between your hands vigorously while holding substrate.
Lurch98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2012, 10:17 PM   #21
green_valley
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2surplus View Post
Found the Black Beauty. McMaster Carr sells it in 50lbs sacks for $17. Their located in Santa Fe springs. Here's a link for driving directions- Hope it helps http://www.mcmaster.com/#contact/=ge5jjh

Thank you soooo much for the info. I appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00se View Post
Black Beauty is not Black Diamond. There are folks here who have not reported good things about BB. In fact, I'm wondering if that's what Hoppy used back when he had his go-around with the "bad stuff". Just a heads-up. Here are the contact numbers for http://www.ati-blackdiamond.com/

499 Settlers Ridge Parkway, Woodbury, MN 55129

Phone: 651-436-6071 | Toll Free:1-800-343-0117 | Fax: 651-436-6744

Why not call them and ask where you can find it close by you?

That would be a great idea as well. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
I recently purchased Black Diamond at a couple Tractor Supply locations in California. You may want to check with the stores nearest you.
There are a lot of them in CENTRAL California. That's where the farming areas are. The closest one to where I live (Southern), is about 3 hours away.

Green's Resurrection Aquarium Gallery
green_valley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2012, 05:34 AM   #22
Secretninja
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Mine was filthy, and required a good wash. Other than that great stuff, especially considering 50# for 8$.
Secretninja is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2012, 09:27 PM   #23
green_valley
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secretninja View Post
Mine was filthy, and required a good wash. Other than that great stuff, especially considering 50# for 8$.
How did you know it's filthy? Yup, the price is the reason why I am going for my 140G rescape project.

Green's Resurrection Aquarium Gallery
green_valley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2013, 03:27 PM   #24
TroyVSC
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Old Thread but found a Retailer for Spectraquartz that sell 50# bags for $19.00. http://www.questbuilding.com/

Considering its $16 at McMasterCarr or $20 for 75 there is not much price difference between the two. All the local places in SoCal that do sand blasting use copper slag and not coal slag.

I am using the black F-grade and really like it so far.
TroyVSC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2013, 11:09 PM   #25
ruht roh
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyVSC View Post
Old Thread but found a Retailer for Spectraquartz that sell 50# bags for $19.00. http://www.questbuilding.com/

Considering its $16 at McMasterCarr or $20 for 75 there is not much price difference between the two. All the local places in SoCal that do sand blasting use copper slag and not coal slag.

I am using the black F-grade and really like it so far.

How is it working out for you? I have tried all the places for any coal slag along with a bunch of others that have not panned out. So I'm gonna go ahead with this stuff unless anyone has had recent luck and can refer me to a place. Thanks!
ruht roh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2013, 11:18 PM   #26
TroyVSC
Algae Grower

Default Black Diamond in SO-CAL

I really like it. It is really fine but it does not stay in the water column at all as it is very dense and heavy. I would highly recommend it. Very consistent round granular vs the the more rough coal slag.
TroyVSC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2013, 11:29 PM   #27
ruht roh
Algae Grower

Sweet, thanks! Gonna pick some up tomorrow.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:48 AM   #28
ruht roh
Algae Grower

Did you have problems with bubbles? I like the stuff so far, as u said it sinks very well and is very uniform, and even had the benefit of not having to rinse it, it was very clean as I attempted to wash the first batch. But when I filled the tank the entire ground was covered with bubbles. I ran a large fish net over it for about 20 minutes until i got tired and maybe got rid of 80% of them, but there are still fine ones left. They don't seem to be rising on their own either. Did you run into this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130427_002825_resized.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	133674  

Old 04-29-2013, 03:17 AM   #29
AirstoND
Wannabe Guru

Quick..get some plants in that tank substrate!

Bubbles come from air in pellets going into water solution from being in submerged pressure.
AirstoND is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2013, 06:10 AM   #30
Clemsons2k
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

The bubbles will go away on their own over time. My Petco sand did the same thing for a few days after adding it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.