Great job guys - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Pennsylvania

Old 02-16-2012, 11:39 PM   #16
DaveK
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushkill View Post
Speaking of plants........does anyone have any info on taking Fla mangroves from SW to FW?
There are several different species, and as I recall (without looking it up, since I'm away) each species lives in a sightly different location, going from SW to dry land. Eash one has a different tolleration for SW verses FW.

You could try to lower the SG in your mangrove tank, and see what results you get, but I'm not sure if it will work.

Keep in mind you are growing a tree, and given time they will get big. Here is an article on then that may offer some insight (offsite) - http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-1...ture/index.php
DaveK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2012, 12:42 AM   #17
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
There are several different species, and as I recall (without looking it up, since I'm away) each species lives in a sightly different location, going from SW to dry land. Eash one has a different tolleration for SW verses FW.

You could try to lower the SG in your mangrove tank, and see what results you get, but I'm not sure if it will work.

Keep in mind you are growing a tree, and given time they will get big. Here is an article on then that may offer some insight (offsite) - http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-1...ture/index.php
that article was interesting. thanks for the info Dave
Fishies_in_Philly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2012, 03:42 PM   #18
Bushkill
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishies_in_Philly View Post
i do miss my saltwater tanks sometimes...then i look at my wallet and i'm over it.lol although i do miss my octopus. of course if i had known then what i know now, i would never had bought a blue ring without some precautions. funny how the hobby has changed every day with more and more knowledge gained.

sorry, i don't know anything about mangroves, but really would love to learn about them! they are a brackish plant, aren't they? let me know what info you find out.

oh...just realized, i never actually made the point i wanted to make....that it's good to see another "old head" on here.....lol
Well, my kids regularly remind me that I'm getting "as old as dirt", being an old head is a little refreshing, lol!

Thanks for the article Dave, I remembered running across it a while back. It would seem that success is dictated by whether I have red or black mangroves. As with any FW to SW or reverse acclimation a lot of patience would seem key. I'm gonna keep digging for info on folks that have actually done it. The article as most that I've come across is a little skimpy on details of the process.

My first planted tank sits on a stand that I built for a shallow SW tank, and the light sits pretty high. So there's plenty of growing room. I know it would have to move on eventually, but they do grow at an anemic pace, so I may be leaving that problem to future generations, lol!

I put a couple of pieces of mopani in there after boiling, soaking, boiling, soaking..........boiling...........soaking........ ...and the water is still way beyond just yellow-tinted. The back of the tank is difficult to see, actually. So I ordered some Purigen as it seems to work better than carbon from what I've read. If I tried to take a picture right now it would resemble a chocolate bar. I have a large panel perpendicular to the tanks rear edge that has slabs of cork attached to it that I'll be growing orchids onto over time. Hoping to get to the Philly Orchid show in a couple of weeks!
Bushkill is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2012, 03:51 PM   #19
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

Mangroves and orchids? Interesting mix. Should be a really cool look though!!
As far as your tannin problem, I can only tell you what worked for me, and that was massive amounts of water changes and biochem zorb. I think that is what it is called. I'll take a pic of the package when I get home tonight. Purigen is supposed to work awesome, however, I never used it. The most important thing I found with tannins is patience. And I have very little of that.....lol good luck!
Old 02-24-2012, 04:05 PM   #20
Bushkill
Wannabe Guru

Yeah, I'm fully expecting a long process to get the tea-water to tone down some.
Purigen's not that easy to come across in stores, so I ordered it the day before yesterday. Free shipping takes over a week! And people complained about Parcel Post? I know, stop complaining, it's free. But there's yet another patience tester.
I'll post a pic of the tank in a couple of weeks. Right now it would just look like a chocolate bar with a lot of cork bark over it.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:08 PM   #21
moonwasaloon
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

I love the look of tan water actually. As long as it's not too dark, makes the tank look more natural .
moonwasaloon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2012, 04:19 PM   #22
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

Hmmmm....chocolate bar and cork? Float some filter floss and you got yourself an aquatic s'more! Lol

I too love blackwater tanks. In fact, I had a blackwater river tank set up, but dumb me left the charcoal in the filter and there went my humid acids.....lol after I replace the filter with a sponge filter, we'll try again. Maybe i'll get some water from you and save time....lol
Old 02-24-2012, 04:23 PM   #23
Bushkill
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonwasaloon View Post
I love the look of tan water actually. As long as it's not too dark, makes the tank look more natural .
Oh, believe me I appreciate the fact that it should look real, and some tint is fine in my book. But I built the tank from scratch, and it 16 inches from front to back, and you really have to squint to see the heater standing in the corner. It's pretty much blackwater right now. It was hard to judge just how much they would leach since I soaked them in a Sterilite tub (white plastic) so I think it made the rinse water look a lot lighter in color than it really was. When I put them in the tank, it looked like it went "lights out" overnight, lol! Water changes, Purigen and some of that ever-elusive patience should get it to a reasonable tint.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:26 PM   #24
Bushkill
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishies_in_Philly View Post
Hmmmm....chocolate bar and cork? Float some filter floss and you got yourself an aquatic s'more! Lol

I too love blackwater tanks. In fact, I had a blackwater river tank set up, but dumb me left the charcoal in the filter and there went my humid acids.....lol after I replace the filter with a sponge filter, we'll try again. Maybe i'll get some water from you and save time....lol
Hmmm. Water-swaps. Could start a new trend in the hobby?
Old 02-24-2012, 04:31 PM   #25
discusonly
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushkill View Post
Oh, believe me I appreciate the fact that it should look real, and some tint is fine in my book. But I built the tank from scratch, and it 16 inches from front to back, and you really have to squint to see the heater standing in the corner. It's pretty much blackwater right now. It was hard to judge just how much they would leach since I soaked them in a Sterilite tub (white plastic) so I think it made the rinse water look a lot lighter in color than it really was. When I put them in the tank, it looked like it went "lights out" overnight, lol! Water changes, Purigen and some of that ever-elusive patience should get it to a reasonable tint.

I would love to have that look in my discus tank. Unfortunately, I do daily WC.
discusonly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2012, 04:45 PM   #26
moonwasaloon
Planted Tank Obsessed

I would love to have a discus tank! haha
Old 02-24-2012, 04:47 PM   #27
discusonly
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I would love to have a discus tank! haha

Well I just pull out a few pairs from my community tank. You like to change water everyday? I am thinking of breeding and selling again.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:48 PM   #28
moonwasaloon
Planted Tank Obsessed

That's the problem, I don't have the time! haha

That's why I would love to have a discus tank but don't think I would be able to pull it off
Old 02-24-2012, 04:49 PM   #29
Bushkill
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by discusonly View Post
I would love to have that look in my discus tank. Unfortunately, I do daily WC.
I'm way ahead of you on this one. The next tank I set up in the fish room will be the discus tank. For all the tannins that these two pieces have leached, I think you could do hourly water changes for a year and never fully exhaust them. Besides a potted pant or two, I'll be using a MUCH smaller piece of Mopani in the discus tank.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:52 PM   #30
discusonly
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
That's the problem, I don't have the time! haha

That's why I would love to have a discus tank but don't think I would be able to pull it off

Send me a webcam and I'll put it in front of my tank for you. Zero work on your part. lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.