Great job guys
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Pennsylvania

Old 02-08-2012, 07:01 PM   #1
KingPlakat
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (19/100%)

Great job guys

Just wanted to say how pleased I am with the amount of people we have posting in the PA section of planted tank. Keep it up! And let everyone you know who has a tank know about this so we have more people to talk, swap, sell, and give advice to.

I know it's already been previously posted by someone, but we should create some sort of meeting group or create a map of the general philly area with pin dots where everyone lives so we can get a general idea who is close to one another for trades and such. Saying where we live is one thing, but seeing it on a map to show how many miles away it actually is would probably benefit everyone when considering there next trip to some far away pet store.
KingPlakat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2012, 07:02 PM   #2
KingPlakat
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Just wanted to give Fishes in philly credit...he's the one who first suggested the swap meet, I just double checked
Old 02-08-2012, 08:12 PM   #3
discusonly
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

Swap meet isn't a bad idea at all. Though I was only into discus, I've added GBR, EBR, CRS and RCS to my tank setup recently. I've been throwing away a lot of plants as well.

I am in South Jersey
discusonly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2012, 11:08 PM   #4
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPlakat View Post
Just wanted to give Fishes in philly credit...he's the one who first suggested the swap meet, I just double checked
no credit needed, let's just, as you said, help the hobby grow. as far as a map, cool idea! i can make it easy. if you know where the tac-pal bridge is, you know where i am..lol

discus, i know where your town is, my boss lives in mt laurel.

and i think things will pick up when the weather breaks. no one wants to go out in the cold....especially not the shrimpies....lol

p.s. the name is bill.....or as my daughter calls me, shrimp daddy! i thought it was cute....lol
Fishies_in_Philly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2012, 11:10 PM   #5
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by discusonly View Post
Swap meet isn't a bad idea at all. Though I was only into discus, I've added GBR, EBR, CRS and RCS to my tank setup recently. I've been throwing away a lot of plants as well.

I am in South Jersey
no more throwing away plants!!! LOL

i really want some crs, but don't know if i wanns go through the whole softening of the water thing. i guess i could just put peat into my canister, would that work?
Old 02-09-2012, 12:39 AM   #6
moonwasaloon
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

I heard peat would help. The only reason why I don't want crs is because water temps during the summer.
moonwasaloon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2012, 12:40 AM   #7
msjinkzd
Rachel O'Leary

PTrader: (205/100%)
Send a message via AIM to msjinkzd

iwill be hosting a party this summer as well and hope to see you all there (I am within 2 hours of philly)
msjinkzd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2012, 01:21 AM   #8
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by msjinkzd View Post
iwill be hosting a party this summer as well and hope to see you all there (I am within 2 hours of philly)
i will be there with bells on.....and since i am a sick, demented s.o.b. (my wife's words), probably just the bells, nothing else....lol
Old 02-09-2012, 01:45 AM   #9
KingPlakat
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishies_in_Philly View Post
no more throwing away plants!!! LOL

i really want some crs, but don't know if i wanns go through the whole softening of the water thing. i guess i could just put peat into my canister, would that work?
I second that...never waste plants to the trashcan without seeing if any of us would be willing to pay shipping or come pick them up
Old 02-09-2012, 01:49 AM   #10
KingPlakat
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My name is Steve an I'm a plantaholic
Old 02-15-2012, 09:18 PM   #11
Bushkill
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

PLEASE! Don't throw away plants folks!

New to this forum, but I've been in the hobby for almost 50 years, the last 12 have been knee-deep in saltwater. I just tore down a few of my SW tanks in the fishroom with the firm intent of getting to about a 60% FW and 40% FW mix by summertime.

My first FW tank just got filled with water, the cycle starts this weekend, and I just put the first few plants in there yesterday. There's a 180G peninsula in the family room with access from the fishroom that's getting filled with water over the next week, and I'll be building my own tanks to replace the SW tanks I removed. Yes, it's been busy to say the least, and with family stuff of immense proportions in the last year, it's been slooooowwww progress.

I have two kids in college in Philly at the moment and since it seems like a good number of you are from that area, please don't throw away plants! You'll have a ready and willing buyer in the near future. My son plays baseball so I'll be down there on a pretty regular basis in March, April and into May.

I've been away from the FW side of the hobby altogether for about 12 years so be gentle, lol! I'll certainly be picking some brains here.
Bushkill is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2012, 09:29 PM   #12
jreich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by msjinkzd View Post
awsome!! i have bin wanting to look at your fish room for ever!
jreich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2012, 10:31 PM   #13
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushkill View Post
PLEASE! Don't throw away plants folks!

New to this forum, but I've been in the hobby for almost 50 years, the last 12 have been knee-deep in saltwater. I just tore down a few of my SW tanks in the fishroom with the firm intent of getting to about a 60% FW and 40% FW mix by summertime.

My first FW tank just got filled with water, the cycle starts this weekend, and I just put the first few plants in there yesterday. There's a 180G peninsula in the family room with access from the fishroom that's getting filled with water over the next week, and I'll be building my own tanks to replace the SW tanks I removed. Yes, it's been busy to say the least, and with family stuff of immense proportions in the last year, it's been slooooowwww progress.

I have two kids in college in Philly at the moment and since it seems like a good number of you are from that area, please don't throw away plants! You'll have a ready and willing buyer in the near future. My son plays baseball so I'll be down there on a pretty regular basis in March, April and into May.

I've been away from the FW side of the hobby altogether for about 12 years so be gentle, lol! I'll certainly be picking some brains here.
welcome back to the dark side bushkill!! no worries.....we'll be gentle....how's $20 for a stem of wisteria sound?? lol
seriously, this is a good group of folks here in this subforum and the whole tpt in general. if you need help, there is always someone around to answer a question, throw you a plant or two or even give good deals on supplies, but something tells me that's not necessary with you......lol if you need anything.....just give a holler!!
btw......my name is bill....and i am a plantaholic and shrimpaholic!!!
Old 02-16-2012, 12:56 PM   #14
Bushkill
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Thanks for the welcome Bill, and errrr thanks for the offer on the Wisteria. I haven't forgotten everything, lol! Always been a plantaholic as well. SW planted tanks are awesome too, but it's scary to believe that seaweed can cost so much!

Speaking of plants........does anyone have any info on taking Fla mangroves from SW to FW?

There was a guy selling them locally for $3 and I bought a bunch to add to the ones I already have. Not just the seed pods. These guys were already leafed an rooted. As my luck would have it, he's dropped his price to $1 since then. If anyone's interested I can easily pass along contact info.
Bushkill is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2012, 02:21 PM   #15
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

i do miss my saltwater tanks sometimes...then i look at my wallet and i'm over it.lol although i do miss my octopus. of course if i had known then what i know now, i would never had bought a blue ring without some precautions. funny how the hobby has changed every day with more and more knowledge gained.

sorry, i don't know anything about mangroves, but really would love to learn about them! they are a brackish plant, aren't they? let me know what info you find out.

oh...just realized, i never actually made the point i wanted to make....that it's good to see another "old head" on here.....lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.