Snails that are beneficial, which ones are not.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2012, 06:26 PM   #1
travisk
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (37/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hermann, MO
Posts: 166
Default

Snails that are beneficial, which ones are not.


Anyone know which snails are beneficial to an aquarium, other than nerites? Which ones would you say are least beneficial and why?
travisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-08-2012, 06:32 PM   #2
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru
 
GeToChKn's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,116
Default

I guess nerites are liked because they can't breed but that also makes them something you have to keep buying. Snail explosions are only a result of overfeeding your tank. Keep your feeding down, the snails population stays down whether ramshorn, mts, or pond/bladder snails. Overfeed and they will all breed like crazy. I got snails on some plants that overpopulated in my shrimp tanks because at the beginning, I overfed like all newbie shrimp people do. I then got assassins to control them and they ate almost all the snails, then I think attacked a few freshly molted shrimp, so I moved them out, have cut down on my feeding and now their is always a few around but not many. Ramshorns are great, they will eat algae right off a leaf and leave the leaf alone. They will eat a dying leaf off a plant and leave the healthy leaves alone. I think they are great for a planted tank. Don't overfeed and you won't have hundreds of them, just a small population that will clean the glass, clean the plants and eat any leftover food.
__________________
20g platy, , 2 x 10g shrimp, 3 x 20g shrimp, 7.5g shrimp and 1 great dane/mastiff puppy.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:35 PM   #3
OverStocked
Planted Tank Guru
 
OverStocked's Avatar
 
PTrader: (76/94%)
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SoDak
Posts: 10,732
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeToChKn View Post
I guess nerites are liked because they can't breed but that also makes them something you have to keep buying. Snail explosions are only a result of overfeeding your tank. Keep your feeding down, the snails population stays down whether ramshorn, mts, or pond/bladder snails. Overfeed and they will all breed like crazy. I got snails on some plants that overpopulated in my shrimp tanks because at the beginning, I overfed like all newbie shrimp people do. I then got assassins to control them and they ate almost all the snails, then I think attacked a few freshly molted shrimp, so I moved them out, have cut down on my feeding and now their is always a few around but not many. Ramshorns are great, they will eat algae right off a leaf and leave the leaf alone. They will eat a dying leaf off a plant and leave the healthy leaves alone. I think they are great for a planted tank. Don't overfeed and you won't have hundreds of them, just a small population that will clean the glass, clean the plants and eat any leftover food.
Not true. Ramshorns will breed unchecked if there isn't a predator to eat them. My angelfish eat the juvies, but in my shrimp tanks, which are basicaly unfed, there are hundreds. Same goes for pond snails.

You have the slowest shrimp in the world if assassins attacked them.
OverStocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:48 PM   #4
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru
 
GeToChKn's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,116
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverStocked View Post
Not true. Ramshorns will breed unchecked if there isn't a predator to eat them. My angelfish eat the juvies, but in my shrimp tanks, which are basicaly unfed, there are hundreds. Same goes for pond snails.

You have the slowest shrimp in the world if assassins attacked them.
Many people have reported assassins attacking a freshly molted shrimp and even seen it, HolyAngel for one that I recall recently. The ramshorns in my shrimp tanks are only a few and far in between now, so not sure.
__________________
20g platy, , 2 x 10g shrimp, 3 x 20g shrimp, 7.5g shrimp and 1 great dane/mastiff puppy.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:04 PM   #5
Wicket_lfe
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (7/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Long Island and Queens
Posts: 860
Send a message via AIM to Wicket_lfe
Default

I always try to get Malaysian Trumpet snails for my tanks to move my sand, and they seem to do a fine job cleaning my glass at night.
Wicket_lfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:14 PM   #6
ryc120
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (8/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 200
Default

I still have one yoyo loach in my tank. I'm guessing he would have a feast at night snail hunting if I put a few in?
ryc120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:02 PM   #7
HiepSTA
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (13/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Houston/Cypress/Austin, TX
Posts: 498
Default

asassin snail will eat shrimps, i know for a fact that the one i have does. I had two fire red males that looked like normal cherries in a breeder box to keep them away from my fire red population, i threw the assasin snail in there because i was gonna give the snail to my friend. there are no shrimps in that breeder box anymore lol
__________________
HiepSTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:32 PM   #8
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru
 
diwu13's Avatar
 
PTrader: (24/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Willimantic, CT
Posts: 6,168
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeToChKn View Post
Many people have reported assassins attacking a freshly molted shrimp and even seen it, HolyAngel for one that I recall recently.
Yea this is true. Some people have assassins go after shrimp, others don't. Just like some people get vegen assassin snails.

As for the snails in your tank. They will breed more than shrimp. The reason is that whatever food you put into the tank, the snails and shrimp BOTH get access to it. The difference when you keep them in tanks with fish, even if the fish aren't eating the snails, the snails can only access what the fish miss and sinks to the bottom. So in a fish tank, feeding a good amount will not result in an overpopulation of snails. However, in a shrimp tank even if you aren't over feed you can easily get a snail population bloom.
__________________
Fish Shrimp tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆ Twin 10G Shrimp Tanks & 20L Grow Out Tank
diwu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:56 PM   #9
Alaizabelle
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (18/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: In a little town in the central valley of California!
Posts: 368
Default

I love my ramshorn snails, they don't population boom in my shrimp only tanks

Those MTS, though.... they have been getting on my nerves lately! The adults seem to be ok, but the babies will strip a leaf from my lily every few days! Evil little buggers....
Alaizabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:15 PM   #10
Jeromeit
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (32/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 954
Default

I have pond and ram shorn snails that lived in a pile of aquasoil for a few months in a sealed bag. They came out when I finally used the soil. Kinda irritating.
__________________
Jeromeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:26 PM   #11
tbarabash
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Edmonton AB Canada
Posts: 353
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaizabelle View Post
I love my ramshorn snails, they don't population boom in my shrimp only tanks

Those MTS, though.... they have been getting on my nerves lately! The adults seem to be ok, but the babies will strip a leaf from my lily every few days! Evil little buggers....
Hundreds of mts over 3 tanks and I've never seen em eat a leaf. My Spixie on the other hand.... Oh boy I can watch em eat their way down a whole stem of sunset hygro in an episode of walking dead
tbarabash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:33 PM   #12
metallicanick78
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
metallicanick78's Avatar
 
PTrader: (6/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Amston, CT
Posts: 436
Default

The tank I have shrimp in atm has 2 assasins and no less than 150 pond snails, (counted on glass) If the assasins are starved of proper food then they will attack shrimp, If they have food avalible then they will leave them alone. I havent lost one yet, but I bet I could drop one shrimp into my assasin only tank and it would be gone that day because they get fed vary spareingly.
metallicanick78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012