Wy Renegade's 30gal Paludarium - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Riparium/Terrarium/Vivarium

Old 04-18-2012, 08:38 PM   #46
CannaBrain
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Well, luckily I don't plan on keeping anything other than snails in my tanks, since they're all pretty much nano paludariums and I really don't have the aquatic real estate to provide homes for many fish. I know even snails require minerals to maintain health, so I'll definitely keep an eye out for symptoms of deficiency in all my tanks. That florinmulti I use does contain small amounts of supplements for inverts as well. Only my 20g aq. has fish in it, and that's the one I plan to buffer with my tap. Surprisingly, the RO water I'm using (from my mother's house in came city) still maintains a higher alkalinity while still being considerably softer, not sure I understand why.
Yeah from what I've seen carnivorous plants can be a challenge, but wouldn't be much fun if it wasn't haha. maybe we'll both have future success with em your salamanders are cute, they'll enjoy their new home.
CannaBrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2012, 11:45 PM   #47
Wy Renegade
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Default Terrestrial zone update

Had a chance to work on this a bit over the past week or so. I added the cottonwood bark in for the background. Right now the pieces are just sitting there, but I have a feeling I'll have to silicon them in once I go to hang the orchids on them.

I ordered some orchids today, so hopefully I'll have a nice collection by the weekend. I also added some cottonwood leaves as leaf litter and I'm soaking some to add to the riparian zone once they get waterlogged.

I tried to get a shot of the interior of the driftwood cave where I added some moss at the entrance and to show the leaf litter, but it didn't come out (wrong angle on the glass), so this is the best I could do.

And a full shot of the terrestrial zone at this point.

Last edited by Wy Renegade; 07-13-2012 at 05:39 AM.. Reason: replacing pictures
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:53 PM   #48
Wy Renegade
Planted Tank Obsessed

Default Aquatic Zone Update

pH tested out at 7 over the last couple of days, so I've got an order of invertebrates coming in tomorrow to add to the tank. Off the top of my head, some daphnia, hydras, planaria, red worms (for the terrestrial side), scuds and some others I don't remember. So I figured I better get some stuff placed on the aquatic side. I picked up three packages of the disease free aquariums plants at my not so local LFS a couple weeks ago, some Bacopa (Bacopa caroliniana), Microswords (Lilaeopsis brasiliensis), and some Dwarf Hairgrass (Eleocharis parvula). Unfortunately, they aren't looking real great, but I got em in and we'll see how they do. The Hairgrass is in the background and the Microswords are in the foreground.
]

And this kind of shows the big picture at this point.

Any suggestions on additional plants that would do well in this setting are more than welcome.

Last edited by Wy Renegade; 07-13-2012 at 05:44 AM.. Reason: replacing pictures
Old 04-25-2012, 12:30 AM   #49
schoolzoo
Algae Grower

Love the look of this tank. I'm sure your salamander will enjoy their new home How did you make the cave?
schoolzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:55 AM   #50
Wy Renegade
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolzoo View Post
Love the look of this tank. I'm sure your salamander will enjoy their new home How did you make the cave?
Thanks! The cave is a piece of driftwood that looks like it was once part of a root, probably cottonwood but perhaps boxelder. It was all rotted away underneath, so its naturally a cave-like structure on its own. When I placed it, I pulled dirt away from beneath were it is sitting, so it makes a nice little dark moist area that is easily big enough for both the salamanders.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:23 AM   #51
schoolzoo
Algae Grower

Very cool. Just read some of your other posts in this thread - I'm a high school science teacher too. Glad to see that I'm not the only one who fills the classroom with tanks, and living displays. My issue is that I'm soon going to be running out of space for my students
Old 04-25-2012, 01:37 PM   #52
Wy Renegade
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Very cool. Just read some of your other posts in this thread - I'm a high school science teacher too. Glad to see that I'm not the only one who fills the classroom with tanks, and living displays. My issue is that I'm soon going to be running out of space for my students
I saw you mention that you were in a school teacher in your crab thread, although I didn't catch that you were a science teacher - nice looking build BTW. What classes do you teach? bIndeed I have a similiar problem, although I have a little bit of an advantage over you in that I get to grow my tomatoes in a greenhouse rather than my classroom - last count we had around 150 tomatoes plus assorted other plants. Tanks?! Lets see, currently I have 15 aquariums in my classroom ranging from 10 to 100gals, 5 more in other rooms that we take care of, and I'm in the process of building 4 40gal paludariums in 40gal turtle tanks, a 30gal vivarium, and a 30 cold water paludarium. I also have two terrariums and a large small animal cage (Chinchilla). So I do understand the space issue LOL.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:02 PM   #53
schoolzoo
Algae Grower

I don't have as much as you on the go in my room - I have a 20 gallon with gold fish, 25 gallon fresh water tropical, 5 gallon crayfish, 150 gallon saltwater reef, and the crabs. Else where in the school there are 3 small gold fish tanks, 1 small guppy tank, 1 turtel, 1 ginne pig, 2 annoles, 2 firebelly toads, and a few hermit crabs. Each teacher is responsible for the displays in their room. In my room I have all of my studnets do all of the maintance on the tanks. I teach gr 9, 10 and 11, and coodinate our school's envirothon teams.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:59 PM   #54
Wy Renegade
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
I don't have as much as you on the go in my room - I have a 20 gallon with gold fish, 25 gallon fresh water tropical, 5 gallon crayfish, 150 gallon saltwater reef, and the crabs. Else where in the school there are 3 small gold fish tanks, 1 small guppy tank, 1 turtel, 1 ginne pig, 2 annoles, 2 firebelly toads, and a few hermit crabs. Each teacher is responsible for the displays in their room. In my room I have all of my studnets do all of the maintance on the tanks. I teach gr 9, 10 and 11, and coodinate our school's envirothon teams.
Very nice - mine are mainly African Cichlids tanks, as I've learned long since that they are hardy enough to handle most things students will throw at them. My favorite is my 20gal Long Native Bog Paludarium. Since I teach the only aquatic biology class, my students are also responsible for maintenance.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:01 PM   #55
Wy Renegade
Planted Tank Obsessed

Default The Cave

Got some new shots of the driftwood cave today, gives you a better idea of how it is set-up.

From the front;

And top down so you can see the moss bed;

Last edited by Wy Renegade; 07-13-2012 at 05:48 AM.. Reason: replacing pictures
Old 04-25-2012, 03:09 PM   #56
Wy Renegade
Planted Tank Obsessed

Default The Aquatic Plants

Aquatic plants are looking a little better today, hopefully they will pull through.

The microswords (Lilaeopsis brasiliensis);

Microswords and the Dwarf Hairgrass (Lilaeopsis brasiliensis and Eleocaris parvula);

The Bacopa (Bacopa caroliniana);

And the Rabbit Foot fern (Davallia solida) showing some new growth;

Last edited by Wy Renegade; 07-13-2012 at 01:37 PM.. Reason: replacing pictures
Old 04-25-2012, 03:13 PM   #57
Wy Renegade
Planted Tank Obsessed

Default Updated Full Tank Shots

And of course, one cannot end without an updated FTS;

And one of my new favorite views;

Last edited by Wy Renegade; 07-13-2012 at 01:40 PM.. Reason: replacing pictures
Old 04-25-2012, 03:48 PM   #58
schoolzoo
Algae Grower

Great set up
Old 04-26-2012, 04:24 AM   #59
Wy Renegade
Planted Tank Obsessed

Default Preparing for the Arrival of the Invertebrates

Quote:
Great set up
Thanks!

So I knew I had a big shipment of invertebrates coming in today, so I wanted to make sure that the aquatic zone was ready for them when they arrived. I mentioned earlier that I had been soaking some leaves to drop into the aquatic zone once they became waterlogged, and today they were all setting on the bottom so I was ready to go. Went ahead and scattered them around the bottom to create a more "natural look to the bottom.

Old 04-26-2012, 04:34 AM   #60
Wy Renegade
Planted Tank Obsessed

Default Christmas in April

It was a little like Christmas in April when my package arrived today. I got all kinds of cool invertebrates. Of course the challenge was getting some decent pictures to show off - some were easy and some were impossible!

I got some amphipods;

Some Brown Planaria;

Some Daphnia;

Some Hydra (this one was budding);

Some rotifers (which I wasn't able to get any pictures of at this point),

And a spongia (freshwater sponge) colony;

The amphipods, planaria and rotifers, will all consume the debris and decomposing plant material, while the daphnia consumes the rotifers, and the hydras and eventually fish will help to keep the population of daphnia in control.

The spongia was new to me, but I figured if it was going to thrive anywhere it oughta thrive in this tank.

Last edited by Wy Renegade; 07-13-2012 at 01:57 PM.. Reason: replacing pictures