mahko's Ohko Stone Journal - Page 9
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2012, 04:49 PM   #121
mahko
Planted Member
 
mahko's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary
Posts: 174
Default

I always passed over it at the LFS thinking it only grew upwards. Looks like this one grows sideways too. I might add some to my 60cm tank if the HC keeps dying off. I think it makes a great semi-carpet.
__________________
mahko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-19-2012, 04:56 PM   #122
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru
 
orchidman's Avatar
 
PTrader: (18/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 7,421
Default

it does! and very nice wabi kusa!

i just photographed mine, ill post them once i process through them!
orchidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:48 PM   #123
andrewss
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: ohio
Posts: 381
Default

tank is looking great
andrewss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:22 PM   #124
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru
 
orchidman's Avatar
 
PTrader: (18/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 7,421
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by orchidman View Post
it does! and very nice wabi kusa!

i just photographed mine, ill post them once i process through them!
check it out mahko! http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...188790&page=10
orchidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:35 AM   #125
styxx
Wannabe Guru
 
styxx's Avatar
 
PTrader: (13/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Pullman, WA
Posts: 1,306
Send a message via AIM to styxx
Default

I don't know if I've mentioned it or not before, but I love the decision to let the algae grow on the rocks. The pristine cleanliness of them before seemed, somehow "too clean" and now they look nicely aged naturally; nice composition so far!
styxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:39 AM   #126
mahko
Planted Member
 
mahko's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary
Posts: 174
Default

Thanks styxx. To be honest, it ended up being too much of a hassle to clean them every week. And I could never really get them that clean so I stopped altogether. The otos and amanos do a decent enough job with it. I also drop Excel on the rocks at each water 50% water change. Let it sit for 5-10 min in open air. Got that tip from Frank Wazeter's threads.
__________________

Last edited by mahko; 12-26-2012 at 02:39 AM.. Reason: spelling
mahko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:42 PM   #127
styxx
Wannabe Guru
 
styxx's Avatar
 
PTrader: (13/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Pullman, WA
Posts: 1,306
Send a message via AIM to styxx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahko View Post
Thanks styxx. To be honest, it ended up being too much of a hassle to clean them every week. And I could never really get them that clean so I stopped altogether. The otos and amanos do a decent enough job with it. I also drop Excel on the rocks at each water 50% water change. Let it sit for 5-10 min in open air. Got that tip from Frank Wazeter's threads.
OH wow does that really work, and if so how well!? Are we talking no scrubbing!? lol
styxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:07 PM   #128
mahko
Planted Member
 
mahko's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary
Posts: 174
Default

It does. If I didn't do that the rocks would be a lot more algae covered than they already are. Actually when you look very close, you can see the bottom half that hasn't had any direct excel treatment and it's noticeable more covered.
__________________
mahko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:53 PM   #129
styxx
Wannabe Guru
 
styxx's Avatar
 
PTrader: (13/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Pullman, WA
Posts: 1,306
Send a message via AIM to styxx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahko View Post
It does. If I didn't do that the rocks would be a lot more algae covered than they already are. Actually when you look very close, you can see the bottom half that hasn't had any direct excel treatment and it's noticeable more covered.
Wow. Well I had no idea...thanks to you and Frank for the tip!
styxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dry start method, iwagumi, ohko

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012