mahko's Ohko Stone Journal - Page 8
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 12-16-2012, 06:16 AM   #106
mahko
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

During the first 6 months or so, I had shimp, oto's and tetra's jump out of the tank at different times. Lately though, nothing has tried to escape so I added 3 more oto cats to help with algae.

I also started 2 wabi kusa yesterday. Might start a new thread on those.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:49 AM   #107
styxx
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)
Send a message via AIM to styxx

Yeah, HC is a wonderful plant...for a short time and then it will grow so thick that if you are not constantly thinning it out, it will grow so thickly that it will literally suffocate the plant stems beneath it. PITA after a while, but in the beginning, oh man is it beautiful to have and see!
styxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 05:35 PM   #108
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (439/100%)

Really loving the algae on your rocks. Looks really natural and provides a nice pop.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 10:29 PM   #109
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

I am sure it will look great when the DHG fills in, nothing like a mixed carpet.
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 02:45 AM   #110
mahko
Planted Member

Thanks all. I think when I rescape this tank (ETA undecided), I'll avoid HC and give glosso a try. It seems like it's a more manageable plant to maintain.

On second thought, I've been seeing some great white sand foreground scapes that have been catching my eye lately. Might just have to start another tank instead. Then there's the nano reef idea too...
Old 12-18-2012, 10:54 AM   #111
styxx
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)
Send a message via AIM to styxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahko View Post
Thanks all. I think when I rescape this tank (ETA undecided), I'll avoid HC and give glosso a try. It seems like it's a more manageable plant to maintain.

On second thought, I've been seeing some great white sand foreground scapes that have been catching my eye lately. Might just have to start another tank instead. Then there's the nano reef idea too...
I think gloss is a much easier plant to handle in the long term; But I have wanted to try out a nano sand set up for the longest time, but never have gotten around to it.
styxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 03:10 PM   #112
IWANNAGOFAST
I see LEDs

PTrader: (33/100%)

you should try out elatine hydropiper if you can find it, mini glosso
IWANNAGOFAST is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 07:38 PM   #113
zergling
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)

Glosso has the same problem -- let it grow over itself long enough and eventually what's underneath will die off. While you can let glosso grow to over an inch thick before this starts to happen, you also have to remember that glosso grows MUCH faster than HC.

At the end of the day, it's still necessary to mow glosso down every 4-6 weeks (depending on how fast it grows in the tank) to keep it low, compact, and healthy.

Elocharis 'Belem' - I only have a few months worth of experience with this plant, but so far in my tank, I've been able to plant it and left it as is for several months without having to trim. I think due to its leaves being very thin, it takes a very long time to have it get dense enough to get anything shadowed. Like I said, I'm still new to this plant, but right now my opinion is it's much less work than HC or glosso.

Last edited by zergling; 12-18-2012 at 08:01 PM.. Reason: add
zergling is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 07:39 PM   #114
mahko
Planted Member

I'll look into that, thanks. I haven't played around with stem plants in a while, so I might go that route with driftwood. I like the thick forrest-of-stems look that Amano always does.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:58 PM   #115
zergling
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)

Quote:
I'll look into that, thanks. I haven't played around with stem plants in a while, so I might go that route with driftwood. I like the thick forrest-of-stems look that Amano always does.
Thick bushes of stem plants also involve similar repetitive work -- constant trimming make it grow "bushy". Just like with carpet plants, the thicker it gets, the bigger the chances of the bottom portions getting shaded and dying off.

The upside -- stem plants are usually just in "sections", and is MUCH easier to trim than any low carpet plant
Old 12-18-2012, 08:26 PM   #116
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

Quote:

I also started 2 wabi kusa yesterday. Might start a new thread on those.

lets see them!!!!!!
orchidman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 11:46 PM   #117
mahko
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orchidman View Post
lets see them!!!!!!
Here they are!

The ball is made from sphagnum moss wrapped around 2-4 marbles (for weight) and a small amount of Turface for water retention.

Plants are hydrocotyle sib., rotala indica, HC, DHG, and java moss. All wrapped with dark green thread. Lighting is a 23W CFL on for 12h/day.

I'd like to give a shout out to geniusdudekiran for inspiration. He has some great threads and even better pictures of his Wabi kusa.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1030.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	59115  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1019.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	59116  

Old 12-19-2012, 04:49 AM   #118
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

fantastic! i like the way you have the tank in the background of the pics! i really like the hydrocotyle sib. I did much the same thing for mine, although i didnt use terface.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:14 PM   #119
mahko
Planted Member

I thought I saw someone use akadama inside a wabi kusa online. Turface is extremely similar, as well as cheaper ($20 for a 50 lb bag). I use it for bonsai as well and it seems to work great for that so I thought to give it a shot.

The hydrocotyle is taking well to the transition from submersed to emersed and the Rotala is starting to grow towards the light. This small project didnt cost much and I'm happy with the results so far.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:33 PM   #120
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I thought I saw someone use akadama inside a wabi kusa online. Turface is extremely similar, as well as cheaper ($20 for a 50 lb bag). I use it for bonsai as well and it seems to work great for that so I thought to give it a shot.

The hydrocotyle is taking well to the transition from submersed to emersed and the Rotala is starting to grow towards the light. This small project didnt cost much and I'm happy with the results so far.
thats what ive seen, as well as aquasoil. i didnt use anything in the three i did.. i may try using a bit of aquasoil now that i have it. we'll see.

its a great plant!! i used to have some but i stupidly sold it all i really wanna get some again, its great for all kinds of things!! i havent seen it for sale anywhere though

Tags
dry start method, iwagumi, ohko

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.