Good stores in the Chicagoland area?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Illinois

Old 02-03-2012, 03:08 PM   #1
D3monic
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)

Good stores in the Chicagoland area?

Just got my tax return today and getting ready to set up a FW Planted. What are some good stores to shop at?

I live in Minooka and work in the Mokena area.

I know where all the good reef and reptile stores are but never shopped around for fresh.
Canon Pimp Club #019

"I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip"

Ebi-topia 75g Rivers Edge Dario H. Breeding Log
D3monic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2012, 03:25 PM   #2
rroginela
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Not sure if it is worth the drive for you bug Aquarium Adventures (Petland) in Bolingbrook has decent stock of plants and equipment prices are generally fair considering that it is an lfs. Not exactly super knowledgeable about the plant side of the hobby in my experience though but ymmv. Only place I'm aware of other than the place on Cumberland and i90 (name escapes me) but that is even further. There is the swap coming in a couple of weeks may be a good place to meet some of the people around this board who may be selling plants and things.

There is also alot to consider before setting up the tank because a fw planted tank is a fairly broad thing with alot of variables and methods. But AA above does carry equipment and supplies suitable for our hobby (tanks, stands, lights, substrate, equipment and plants) so it may be worth a look.

Hope that helps.

10 gallon journal - http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=158315
75 gallon journal - http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=151037
rroginela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 03:36 PM   #3
shinycard255
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

+1 to Aquarium Adventures in Bolingbrook. I won't go to any other other fish store to buy plants/fish since I've seen good quality there.

+1 to the GCCA swap. You should totally check it out
The Fraternity of Dirt #42
Who would have thought that plants like dirt?!

Tanks: 60G | 5.5G | Evolve4
shinycard255 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 04:04 PM   #4
D3monic
Planted Tank Obsessed

IF I can make it to the swap I will, not sure how long before my frogs are picked up. I got a guy driving up from tennesse for my collection. Theres currently a 75gal sitting on my stand so I can't but any water in the new tank until my collection is gone. Might paint the room before I set it up as well. Right now just fixing to pick up tank and equipment / check out stock.
Canon Pimp Club #019

"I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip"

Old 02-03-2012, 05:37 PM   #5
trapperwolves
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

I agree that Aquarium Adventure in Bolingbrook is probably the best LFS in this area for selection and size. Plus they have some really cool tanks set up. They also carry a pretty large selection of plants that are reasonably priced for a LFS. I've bought quite a few there myself.
I do disagree that thier prices are good though on equipment. I typically check out the equipment I want at the LFS and then buy at a much cheaper price on-line. Prices are much better at www.fosterandsmith.com, www.bigals.com, and even www.amazon.com to name just a few. Most of the items I've purchased come in the mail at a much cheaper price than the LFS can offer. This does not include anything alive as next day air prices are incredibly high.
There is also a Petco on Black Road and Route 59 that is kind of small but has some nice stuff. Every now and then they'll get in some nice plants.
I would recommend you stay away from King Neptune in Shorewood as they don't have a problem selling fish that have been injected with ink for coloration and shapes. The last time I was there they had fish that had hearts and star shapes injected into the fish.
By the way I live right next door in Channahon.

rroginela-thanks again for the vals-they are doing really good and growing fine. The crypt is still the same size but looks OK.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:39 PM   #6
shinycard255
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

Never been to King Neptune but wanted to check them out. Maybe I'll stay away from that place now and just keep going to Aquarium Adventure
The Fraternity of Dirt #42
Who would have thought that plants like dirt?!

Tanks: 60G | 5.5G | Evolve4
shinycard255 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:55 PM   #7
D3monic
Planted Tank Obsessed

yea king neptunes has always been a big no no. Their puppies always have kennel cough and their fish area looks horrible. I'll have to take a ride up to boiling brook tonight and check it out. Pretty sure one of the guys in our reef club works up there.
Canon Pimp Club #019

Old 02-03-2012, 07:09 PM   #8
larcat
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/il...cago-area.html
larcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:28 PM   #9
D3monic
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks Larcat, most of those are pretty far north of me unfortunately. I have been to old orchard and was a bit dissapointed with them since I took one hell of a drive to visit the place.
Canon Pimp Club #019

Old 02-03-2012, 09:00 PM   #10
zenche
Planted Tank Enthusiast

larcat's reference is the most comprehensive thread

75G - "Hanzomori"
56G - "Rise of the Agassizi"
zenche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:46 AM   #11
trapperwolves
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

With all of this talk about Aquarium Adventure I figured I would stop in on my way home from work to just look around again-yeah right.
I left with 2 containers of Java Moss and 5 Nerite Snails and about $25.00 or $30.00 less in my pocket.
Man there has gotta be a cure for this addiction somewhere.

AA really is a cool place and I really enjoy talking to the people who work there who seem to be quite knowlegable about what they are selling.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:14 PM   #12
rroginela
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
rroginela-thanks again for the vals-they are doing really good and growing fine. The crypt is still the same size but looks OK.
Awesome! The guppies are my wives favorite fish.. Growing strong. Thank you!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
rroginela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:01 PM   #13
D3monic
Planted Tank Obsessed

i was going to go there last night but hit rocky mudd and got drunk at applebees instead
Canon Pimp Club #019

Old 02-06-2012, 08:06 PM   #14
FooDog
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to FooDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by larcat View Post
FooDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:29 PM   #15
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

All those great LFS & cool people that work there aren't going to be around long if we don't support them. I'm certainly not rich and I understand saving when you can. Those LFS are not getting rich of $1.59 guppies. PetCo,PetSmart & online are the reason there are maybe a dozen LFS left in Chicagoland. There's 12million people in Illinois and 9 million of us live here and there's what 5 above average LFS?

I'm not saying pay $50 extra for a Canister. But, if shipping from online is only saving you $10 on that canister. Think about why you have to drive 3 countys away to find a good LFS.

Last edited by DogFish; 02-07-2012 at 02:48 AM..
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote