Looking for a new tank...
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 04-06-2012, 02:25 AM   #1
ferretowner96
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

Looking for a new tank...

Howdy! I have been looking for a new Nano tank, but it seems like the only tanks I can find are either fishbowls, super cheap badly made tank that use night light bulbs, or tanks hat are about 80 bucks. This is crazy! I am looking for a square, or cylinder tank with room to expand lighting, filtration and more, to go on my desk. I just can't justify spending around 80 bucks for a two gallon tank. That is what I spent on my 55 gallon tank with everything! I can't find what I am looking for. I really want a shallow square tank or a deep cylynder tank. Any suggestions would've appreciated.
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2012, 02:51 AM   #2
mluk27
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

Whats your budget then? I bought my Finnex 4g for 40 bucks with light and filter
mluk27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:57 AM   #3
Bannik
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretowner96 View Post
Howdy! I have been looking for a new Nano tank, but it seems like the only tanks I can find are either fishbowls, super cheap badly made tank that use night light bulbs, or tanks hat are about 80 bucks. This is crazy! I am looking for a square, or cylinder tank with room to expand lighting, filtration and more, to go on my desk. I just can't justify spending around 80 bucks for a two gallon tank. That is what I spent on my 55 gallon tank with everything! I can't find what I am looking for. I really want a shallow square tank or a deep cylynder tank. Any suggestions would've appreciated.
I have three 1 gallon jars (soon to be 4), one two gallon jar, a Fluval EBI, and a 10 gallon for my Nano tanks.

The 1 gallon jars cost about $8 each, the 2 gallon jar cost $13, EBI was 80, and the 10 gallon was $10 when Petsmart does theirr dollar per gallon sale.

The best part about nano tanks is experimenting with different scaping ideas without the cost and labor of redoing a full tank.

Go through the photo gallery and browse through people's journal until you find some feature you love. Once you've decided what your scape will be, you'll know exactly what kind of tank you'll need to accomplish it.
Bannik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:54 AM   #4
ferretowner96
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

Thanks guys. I am looking ion the price range of up to 50. Anymore than that and I just cant justify it. I have set up mano "holding" tanks before, but never escaped them,and since this will be downstairs instead of in my fish room, I want to make it look great. Thanks again
Old 04-06-2012, 04:56 AM   #5
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (426/100%)

You can get an 8gal cube (Mr. Aqua, actually 7.5gal) for under $50.

JBJ Picotope for $40.

All kinds of acrylic nanos for $20-$30. Even custom made tanks for under $50.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:51 PM   #6
i'm a ninja
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

I also recommend the Finnex 4 gallon kit. It costs just under $50 and comes with a light and filter that are in my opinion perfect for a low light, low tech tank. I have mine set up on my desk with various crypts, mosses, and vesuvius swords, the light is growing all of them without any issues.
i'm a ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:59 PM   #7
Ryi
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

My newest (and favorite) is a JBJ Picotype that I picked up for about $45.
It's one piece of glass from side to front to side, the only seams are pretty much out of sight where the sides meet the flat back. It has a wider and lower profile than my other 3 gallon nano, it seems to be more correct-to-scale.
It comes with a JBJ mini-h.o.b which is basically the same as a Toms Mignon/Azoo in size, just a mirror image. The 9w fluorescent is adequate for a low-tech.
I'm trying to learn ferts and lighting with the JBJ right now so take my comments at face value, I'm no guru. I'm using it as a specimen/grow out tank while I finish the stand on my 125.
My other nano has been up for about 4 years, nothing fancy but very stable.
Ryi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:30 PM   #8
Michiba54
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Craft stores or even my local wal-mart have square glass bowls ranging in size... I've always thought they might make a decent nano tank for cheap. Usually other shapes too if square isn't your thing.
Michiba54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:42 AM   #9
haralds
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I restarted the hobby with a betta bowl, then went to a small 2.5G, from there to the Fluval Edge - 1st 6G, then adding a 12G. The Edges are fun, but...

... the most delight I have had so far is with a Fluval Spec! I added a heater in the filter well, and a thermometer. The rest is pretty much the stock tank. I ended up seeding it from my 12G, and it cycled in days! It has plant cuttings from the other tanks. It houses just an Amano shrimp, a Nerite snail, and a cute, bright red betta. Somehow, it is very delightful.

I do water changes with a turkey baster instead of a siphon. I occasionally add Excel Flourish. The sand is natural, no ferts. It does run 80% RO due to the fact, we have softened well water.

The thing is destined for my office, but ounce for ounce, it is an intense delight! I am really tempted to get another one. It is so simple!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fluval Spec 4-15-12.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	45751  

haralds is offline   Reply With Quote