I really love craigslist sometimes
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 07-02-2013, 09:36 PM   #1
thelub

PTrader: (13/100%)

I really love craigslist sometimes

Just picked up 2 free tanks last night. 1 48 long and an 80g. Already have plants to replace my 45 tall with the 80 and use the 48 long for a sofa table tank that will go behind my sofa. I want to try to do something similar to TGM's "tributary" aquascape.

80 dimensions are 48L x 18D x 23H (outside measurements)

48L dimensions are 48L x 13D x 18H (outside measurements)

Some of the local water sources are extremely hard and if the aquariums aren't properly taken care of they build up serious hard water deposits. I have a lot of work ahead of me on these bad boys, but hey,they were free!

Here are a couple pictures I took in a rush this morning before heading to work:
80g - down right CRUSTY water stains. The glass tops that came with it look like they have been frosted for privacy

48L - not as bad as the 80 but still needs a lot of work. The big glass center brace is super frosted and the trim is very loose. I plan on cutting out the center brace, cutting it in 2 and moving it them out a little bit so its not as much as an eye sore.

All fugly fake wood trim will be either removed or painted black. The bottom trim on the 80 will need some work. Looks like they tried cutting it down and did a hack job of it. I might see if Glass Cages has a bottom replacement trim I can buy.
thelub is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2013, 09:54 PM   #2
BDoss1985
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)

Nice, i've been looking daily for a 80-100g around here, my clown loaches are still small but I'll need to upgrade this 55 someday.
BDoss1985 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:57 PM   #3
drewsuf82
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)

Wow very good score! I check CL on and off but I never see any free tanks here...sometimes I've gotten other stuff
drewsuf82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:08 PM   #4
Neptoon'd
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Have fun with those new projects! I bet you'll have them looking good.

Every once in a while I see what looks like a good deal. But I'm too limited on space to follow through. More often though, I see people ask $3 a gallon! So what if you include your old crusty gravel and fake plants?!? It is a USED fish tank. If I wanted to pay retail pricing, I'd just go to the store and buy new. :/
Neptoon'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:16 PM   #5
thelub

Yeah, I'm fortunate enough to have a wonderful wifey who obsessively checks craigslist free postings and came across this late last night. I was picking it up from in front of the house at 11:45pm.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:20 PM   #6
thelub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptoon'd View Post
Have fun with those new projects! I bet you'll have them looking good.

Every once in a while I see what looks like a good deal. But I'm too limited on space to follow through. More often though, I see people ask $3 a gallon! So what if you include your old crusty gravel and fake plants?!? It is a USED fish tank. If I wanted to pay retail pricing, I'd just go to the store and buy new. :/
This is the 3rd tank I've scored for free and while they're free, they do require some elbow grease. The first freebie I picked up turned out to not look so good when I got it all cleaned up, but should work very well for a vivarium.

The wifey is after she saw the new additions in the garage. She cut me off from getting any more tanks. Its all good, because I think I'm done for now.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:41 PM   #7
stevenjohn21
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

"For now"
Ha ha , where have I heard that before lol

“Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win.” -Gary Linekar

"Some people are on the pitch! They think it's all over! It is now, it's four!" -Kenneth Wolstenholme
stevenjohn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:44 PM   #8
thelub

I'm really at my limit. I don't have anywhere in my house to put all these tanks. I still have to decide where I'm putting my 200!
Old 07-03-2013, 01:53 AM   #9
stevenjohn21
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

You have a sofa and a TV right ? Then you have plenty of space for a few more tanks;-)

“Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win.” -Gary Linekar

"Some people are on the pitch! They think it's all over! It is now, it's four!" -Kenneth Wolstenholme
stevenjohn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:04 AM   #10
Da Plant Man
Nerd Alert.

PTrader: (74/100%)

I posted on craigslist once that I was taking all free aquariums, aquarium filters, etc. broken, or new.

One lady answered, drove 70 miles and delivered 5 aquariums to my house. Said she didn't need them and didn't want to throw them away. She also had some filters, and an aquarium stand that I am still using today.

I love it too.

You scored big time though with that 80g.

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
Da Plant Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:19 AM   #11
mjbn
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)

Wow, someone offering free stuff and willing to drive out of the way to drop off? That's a rare find on Craigslist, you got a steal there:O haha
mjbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:27 AM   #12
RWaters
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelub View Post
This is the 3rd tank I've scored for free and while they're free, they do require some elbow grease. The first freebie I picked up turned out to not look so good when I got it all cleaned up, but should work very well for a vivarium.

The wifey is after she saw the new additions in the garage. She cut me off from getting any more tanks. Its all good, because I think I'm done for now.
But my question is ... will she cut you off from calling her "the wifey"?

It's always great getting free tanks. I was able to snag three from a local fish store that closed down several years ago.
RWaters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:37 AM   #13
PunknDestroy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

CLR, vinegar, mud, and a razor blade and those tanks will shine. Nice steal!
PunknDestroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:15 AM   #14
thelub

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWaters View Post
But my question is ... will she cut you off from calling her "the wifey"?

It's always great getting free tanks. I was able to snag three from a local fish store that closed down several years ago.
Lol! Well since we're not really married (yet) she'd probably like that I'm not referring to her as my gf.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:52 PM   #15
All your base
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunknDestroy View Post
CLR, vinegar, mud, and a razor blade and those tanks will shine. Nice steal!
Even better, muriatic acid and the deposits will wipe right off, no elbow grease required. Just don't breathe the fumes or get it on your skin...
All your base is offline   Reply With Quote