Anyone in the Miami / Ft Lauderdale area? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Florida

Old 02-23-2012, 10:09 PM   #16
charms
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid View Post
I heard about that 'The Planted Tank' place and have been meaning to check it out. Good to hear it is pretty decent.

Also if you haven't checked out this place Neighborhood fish farm it is great for fish and plants, they don't have very much equipment. And if they don't have the plant you are looking for they can special order you anything from Florida Aquatic Nurseries.
Its actually 'The Planted Aquarium Store' - my mistake. Lol
I've gotten all of my plants from them and everything is healthy! No algae or nuisance snails either. They have been super helpful too!

The tropical fish farm is awesome! Too far to visit on a regular basis but I definitely plan on getting
My next goldie there.

I've never heard of floridaaquatic.com. Will have to Google it. Lol

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk
charms is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2012, 11:45 PM   #17
xenxes
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)

I've been getting plant bundles from the Swap'n'Shop here. Have more plants than I need now. Most of my tanks are a jungle-ly mess.
xenxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:32 PM   #18
charms
Planted Member

I've gotten a few from here too. All healthy and growing good. Everyone has been super nice!
My 10g is my biggest planted tank, except for the goldies, and its a crazy mess. I browse around here and see all the tanks ~ they have a theme, or at least a plan on the placement of the plants, dw, funky rocks.. ~ And I'm jealous! I currently hate mine... I also have 2 small Betta tanks that I'm unhappy with. But currently am strapped for cash so I can't replace my substrate (which is giving me mad problems!) or get some cool rocks or driftwood so... I feel like I'm kinda stuck right now.

Old 02-24-2012, 04:49 PM   #19
xenxes
Planted Tank Guru

Use dirt + play sand! Dirt you can get for free, or get a bag of Miracle Grow, play sand is a few bucks at Home Depot.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:08 PM   #20
charms
Planted Member

Maybe I can convince hubby I need a Lowes trip this weekend.. So its Miracle Grow Organic potting soil, and 'play sand'? Where is the playsand at, like what category? Lol

Old 02-24-2012, 07:58 PM   #21
xenxes
Planted Tank Guru

Hum I have no idea, I've been getting overpriced black sand from Petco/smart, thinking I only need a bit for my little tanks (ended up buying maybe 4-5 bags+).

Ask someone it's just called play sand, I think they fill kids' sand boxes with them. Also I didn't use organic dirt in my tanks, used whatever I had around. You just have to let it settle for about a month before adding fauna, else you get ammonia/nitrite spikes from the soil leeching into the water, even with a fine cap in place.

I think people use organic because there's fewer wood chips and no perilite in them (no big chucks that end up floating in the water). I think it was $9-10 for a huge bag. Recommend using 1" of soil and 1-2" of gravel and sand cap (I do a mix, since the gravel help hold plants in place, and sand the finer particles of dirt).

What substrate do you have now? I don't think there is a need to replace it, just insert some oscomote root tabs? Walmart has them in the garden section pretty cheap. A few people (somewhatshocked, h4n) sell them here on the forums too.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:47 PM   #22
Lilpatty19
Algae Grower

Pembroke Pines here!
Lilpatty19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:43 AM   #23
Deahttub
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

+1 planted aquarium store...coral springs here...
Deahttub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:14 PM   #24
charms
Planted Member

Any new or maybe just not mentioned stores around here? Hubby and I like to go to new pet shops, especially aquatic ones!!

Old 03-05-2012, 07:01 PM   #25
II Knucklez II
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)

hey i live in west kendall here and glad to see some ppl here into the hobby cause like alot of you guys and girls said everyone is into saltwater or there isnt alot of ppl into the hobby.

I live close to neighborhood fish farm and love it they have alot of fish/plants all of the time and they send out an email when they get new stock. A+++ place to go.

I almost went to the planted aquarium store for the first time two weeks ago because i will be doing a 75g or 125g discus tank in a year or so and wanted to try out this really good substrate, "Mr. Aqua's Up Aqua" for my 10g since I was redoing it then I would have an idea of how it work and if its good for the money to put in my discus tank later on. you can see the redo of my 10g here http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ge...t-amazing.html
The Up Aqua soil doesnt have ammonia/nitrite spikes and it doesnt break down like ADA soil but is still up there in price ($40 for a 20lbs bag). Also being they are the only store to carry that soil i might as well make a trip and check out the store. It was like a 50 min drive but well worth it!!! I spent like 40 mins in there looking around and talking to the owner. She was very nice and helpful, its the only planted aquarium store in SW Florida period lol

Another good store is http://www.exoticaquariums.com/ they have alot of freshwater fish and some plants as well.

I also have an 18g community tank and a Fluval Ebi tank which i will be putting Crystal red shrimp in later on. Dont really have plants to trade right now even tho all my tanks are planted but i do have taiwan fire shrimp that in a month or more i would need to get raid of and rather trade/sale here locally then dealing with shipping.

Charms if you can spare $25 you cant get eco complete which is great for planted aquariums or get Miracle Grow Organic potting soil like others said but its just mess which isnt a big deal

here is a pic of my betta
betta with shrimp.jpg

betta yellow cambodian ct buy.jpg
II Knucklez II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 02:29 AM   #26
charms
Planted Member

Dude!! That crowntail is gorgeous!!

I finally stopped debating, changed the substrate and replanted everything!! I used the recommended miracle grow and capped w/ the tms. Looks so pretty! My frogbit isn't growing in any of my tanks tho so I've gotta figure that out. Its been... 8 days and nothing is growing yet... I'm definitely NOT impatient either..

I wish I lived closer to the Tropical Fish Farm - at least I could go look often!! ;-)

Old 03-10-2012, 03:58 AM   #27
demonr6
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)

Oh trust me it will grow in dirt. I have a 20L that is overgrown into a jungle. You have to be careful about your stock though. I have a couple of trapdoor snails that like to burrow and make a huuuge mess of things and a pleco that is a digger. It's definitely not for the faint of heart and it won't ever look pristine again for me. Plants love it though.
The Fraternity of Dirt #5
I'm dirty

My Finnex 4 Tank Journal-RETIRED 20L Rimless Journal-started 12-20 55L Journal-NEW 06-12

.sdrawkcab dootsrednu tub sdrawrof devil si efiL
demonr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:39 PM   #28
damselfish
Algae Grower

Kendall, checking in!

There is a definite lack of freshwater stuff around here. Trying to hunt down some Laetacara curviceps has been almost impossible, I'm stalking aquabid for them now-- none of the local stores can even order them in! Pretty much the only place I go is the Tropical Fish Farm, these days. I'm there waaaaay too often as it is, though.
damselfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:52 AM   #29
II Knucklez II
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)

thanks i paid alot for him but i always wanted a betta that i have never seen before!

just give it some time and you will see. remember it takes time for everything to get used to the change because the plants were used to some thing different before.

funny you say that damselfish cause i feel the same way!
II Knucklez II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:48 PM   #30
demonr6
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)

I have two breeder bought bettas myself. We have had four over the last three years, the two store bought bettas did not make it due to health reasons. Pretty much when we bought them they already had issues. One had swim bladder that eventually led to a parasite infection we could not take care of. The other had hole in the head, another bacteria which led to a tumor like infection and that poor little guy has his days numbered. I just don't have the heart to put him to sleep. He's not in a corner floating upright and barely moving, he still swims around and has a healthy appetite so that really keeps me at bay.

My two breeder bettas, never an issue. Healthy as can be. A contrast to the store bettas.
The Fraternity of Dirt #5
I'm dirty

My Finnex 4 Tank Journal-RETIRED 20L Rimless Journal-started 12-20 55L Journal-NEW 06-12

.sdrawkcab dootsrednu tub sdrawrof devil si efiL
demonr6 is offline   Reply With Quote